• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why host worlds?

Kind of surprised there hasn't been a "national" sponsorship deal with the PDGA from Gatorade or one of the energy drink companies. Tons of those drinks are consumed every weekend at PDGA events...

Kind of surprised there hasn't been a "national" sponsorship deal with the PDGA from Gatorade or one of the energy drink companies. Tons of those drinks are consumed every weekend at PDGA events...

Do you have contacts with them or anyone like this?

If so, that is the first step!

So we have facts about the prevalent sports drink consumption in disc golf? It's hard to miss all the empties in trash cans and littered throughout the course, but Gatorade/Powerade/Red Bull/Hansen's isn't going to invest based off that. They are going to require actual figures

To level with you, I don't consume the amount of sports drinks that I used to when I found out how much sodium was in them. The Waterboy kind of had a point.

Zig Zag ftw! :p
Umm...

Do you have contacts with them or anyone like this?

Nope.

So we have facts about the prevalent sports drink consumption in disc golf? It's hard to miss all the empties in trash cans and littered throughout the course, but Gatorade/Powerade/Red Bull/Hansen's isn't going to invest based off that. They are going to require actual figures

Well, I drink 2-3 Gatorades at every tourney, and play 10-20 events(including unsanctioned) a year depending on what life lets me do. So that's 20-60 a year for just me... Oh wait I forgot you guys don't count anecdotal evidence...

#shrinkthesport:|

Well, I drink 2-3 Gatorades at every tourney, and play 10-20 events(including unsanctioned) a year depending on what life lets me do. So that's 20-60 a year for just me... Oh wait I forgot you guys don't count anecdotal evidence...

I know what you're saying, but you're one person in one area. How many people at every event share your drinking habits? Do you drink 2 in the spring but 3 in the summer? My post was more geared towards entering a corporate meeting. You need to present a better case than, "well, here's what I do".

What better way to begin gathering data is there than posting a poll here and on FB though? Considering there isn't really a clearly definable demographic for disc golf, Gatorade/Powerade is a great sponsor to court. How you can convince them that disc golf is what caused a surge in their sales is the hard part. With Adidas, there was a massive sales increase for a specific style of shoe.

Surely the sports drink companies would want to know who isn't but is likely to drink their product rather than who already does. All bout the new business!

Surely the sports drink companies would want to know who isn't but is likely to drink their product rather than who already does. All bout the new business!

I was going to post something similar. I don't think it matters to any of these companies how many of our competitors use their product already. It's all about how many new potential consumers they can get in front of.

This is our biggest stumbling block in finding outside money to inject into the sport...(relatively) small fields of players, few if any spectators...just not a lot to sell to potential large sponsors.

It's getting better with more media exposure (the Youtube coverage, live and recorded, helps) and increasing numbers of players (PDGA membership steadily going up), but we're not to a point where we can get and keep national/international companies' attention. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try. The only way they'll know we're here is if we tell them, repeatedly. But it doesn't mean they're going to say yes anytime soon, either.

Trying to sell national companies on sponsorship is indeed about new business. More importantly, it is not about new business to a couple hundred players. It is about 10's of thousands of spectators or viewers. Neither of which our game has or will realize.

Trying to sell national companies on sponsorship is indeed about new business. More importantly, it is not about new business to a couple hundred players. It is about 10's of thousands of spectators or viewers. Neither of which our game has or will realize.

I get what you're saying and I (mostly) agree, but let me play devil's advocate for a second.

If these companies with pretty good market share already are willing to throw down the millions and millions of dollars to have billboards in sports stadiums and along the highways, to have athletes such as Lebron James, Peyton Manning, Serena Williams etc endorse their products, and to run the extended television campaigns they do, what do you think the price per person and view is to them?

Also, marketing isn't just about gaining business, it's about maintaining business and awareness. You want to remind people that Gatorade is better than Powerade because they sponsor my favorite team/they keep running these ads with these flavors/Serena Williams or Lebron James or whoever is the role model for my child so I'm going to continue buying Gatorade because that's what their role model drinks.

Now if we take those two factors, who's to say 10-30K for sponsoring the National Tour isn't worth the investment? Compared to Lebron's multi-million dollar deal, getting a sponsorship of the upper echelon tour for disc golf (I love what the Pro Tour is doing but in my mind the NT is still bigger and more important, although that could certainly change in the next few years) with it's several tournament run, long season, and post-production focus might be a steal in views/$ compared to Lebron. Obviously Adidas Outdoor realized the value of disc golf what with giving McBeth a paid deal and lots of other athletes product deals and sponsoring a Vegas NT course. I think, if you actually had the demographic numbers, viewership numbers, and amount of exposure a company could potentially gain by sponsoring the NT, it'd be a decent presentation

... chasing round digging up money for "pros" to come and play just doesn't sit well. ...
That should maybe be a role in the future due for creation at the PDGA as it expands further. Someone working on behalf of the major and NT tournaments based from the PDGA to go out and try to source sponsorship from national and local partners. ...

^this. Use some of that $2000000 budget and do actual work that benefits the sport!

Whenever I've picked up litter on the course and thrown it in the trash cans, it isn't Gatorade/powerade/red bull empties I see. They are always full of beer cans. just saying...

Oh wait I forgot you guys don't count anecdotal evidence...

It doesn't matter what "we" count or don't, advertising execs for sure do not. You won't even get a meeting without quantifiable, validated numbers.

It is about 10's of thousands of spectators or viewers. Neither of which our game has or will realize.

:confused::confused:
We have tens of thousands of viewers already, and I've seen 5,000 people on-site spectating European Open with my own eyes.

Latest posts