• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why measure distance in feet?

^^^This!

...I always thought the best rationale for going metric would be folks could get excited about driving 100, and paying only 60 cents a liter. It was frustrating to watch Ohio (and other states) actually pay for signage changes back in the 70's, install them, and then later remove them when it didn't catch on.

60 cents a litre? Is this 1998???

(at 3.785 liters per gallon, about $2.27 per gallon, what it is in the midwest right now) :thmbup:

Cause it sounds more impressive? I think the feet vs. yards fits the "scale" of what we do.

A long golf hole is 500 yards, a long DG hole is 500 feet. I use these numbers for a generic comparison. For the average person if you told them the longest hole on your local course is only 130 yards ( 390 feet ), that sounds pretty short in their minds when a golf hole is 4x that far. Just makes our game sound puny to someone who has never thrown a disc.

Just my random logic here, no science involved...:eek:

Just figured some Luddites would like inside knowledge of this "easter egg" where they could raise a small protest regarding the metric system in general. ;)

Really, this is what we have reduced ourselves to? Meters, yards, feet and inches... Pick which ever you like, you still have put the disc in the basket in par or better regardless of the unit of measurement. But, 390 foot ace is way more impressive then the stupid 130 meter whatever......

(Insert Star Spangled Banner playing in the background) Heck we are Americans, we like big numbers, on our drives, years in our lives, in our paychecks and in our busty cup size, so why not use the feet and inches???? Head out the gutter boy's, I mean the All American "Big Gulp".....

Wait...people measure distance in disc golf? Since when?

Random morning trivia......I have seen old survey maps where distances were measured in "hatchet throws". I've no idea what actual measurement this equates to, but I like it. Westside probably would too.
KP

Everyone that's in favor of meters probably would rather measure their discs in Stones as well(175 grams = 0.02755778277 Stones ) . It's a slippery slope folks, let's not go down that road.

Nah Meters and grams is comparable to feet and stones. Clearly one is superior to the other

Everyone that's in favor of meters probably would rather measure their discs in Stones as well(175 grams = 0.02755778277 Stones ) . It's a slippery slope folks, let's not go down that road.

So going to MORE obscure British measurements? Doubt it mate! ;)

14lbs to a stone.. Although.. 14 stone sounds better than 90 kilos ;) :popcorn:

Anyone know why we use feet to measure distance in disc golf in the US?

I was thinking about the recent SC coverage and wished they would have said 130 yards instead of 390 feet. I think it would put things in perspective for people that don't know anything about the sport. "Wow 130 yards, that's a football field and 3 first downs away" versus "Wow 390 feet, that's a bunch of feet"

How could anyone not convert between measures of length? 390 feet is naturally 3900 inches or 39 yards or 3,9 miles, right?

There is two types of feet in disc golf. One that has a standard and can be measured by a over the counter ruler or measuring tape and has the symbol Ft. The other is used on the internet ,has no standard or reason, AKA DGCR Ft.:D

^^^Ft. is an abbreviation, not a symbol. The symbol for feet is actually a single apostrophe, '.

And the propensity of DGCR members to fudge their drive length has been called "internet distance" on here for years.

Last edited:
One and only answer needed for this thread. Why is the sky blue? Why does apple pie taste so good with ice cream?

Some things just are.

That's a neat one. The reason is Rayleigh scattering. Remember that different colors of light have different wavelengths. Molecules in the atmosphere scatter light from the sun very differently depending on wavelength. When you look at a portion of the sky, the air molecules there scatter much more short-wavelength (blue) light than long-wavelength (red) light. So what you see is blue sky.

But near sunrise or sunset, light from the sun comes in at a much lower angle and thus has to pass through much more of the atmosphere. Blue light scatters so strongly that almost none of it makes it all the way to your eyes, so what you see is more yellow and red.

And one more. Water droplets are much bigger than air molecules, and they scatter all wavelengths of light more or less the same. That's why clouds appear white.

Random morning trivia......I have seen old survey maps where distances were measured in "hatchet throws". I've no idea what actual measurement this equates to, but I like it. Westside probably would too.
KP

I have old surveys of my land, where they were measured in "chains". I thought that was mighty vague, until I found out that the surveyor chains had a specific length.

Which would make them an interesting measurement for disc golf, just for the confusion that would ensue. "I missed the chains by two chains." "I threw one chain and bounced off the chains." "The more chains on a hole, the harder it is to hit the chains." And other such witticisms.

Or, now that I ready my post, probably not.

The universal unit of measurement for disc golf should be the "hand". The hand is a non-SI unit of length equal to exactly 4 inches (101.6 mm). It is normally used for the measurement of the height of horses in some English-speaking countries, including Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Who's with me? Hand power!

Latest posts