• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why minis to mark a disc at all?

Questioning how many a$$holes there are in society? I wish I could live with your blinders.
You're absolutely allowed not to use a mini if you throw from behind your disc. What do you do if you go OB? Mini are supposed to be used to mark your lie. I understand the relevance of how insignificant not using a mini is but I believe in integrity of the rules and ignoring any rule no matter how insignificant is wrong. Casual do you (I flip my disc) but pdga tourney no way.

Don't waste your time, bro. This dude is so good he never goes OB. He doesn't even take his 1 meter relief from an OB line, he just stands in that water like a man. And he only carries like 5-6 discs tops (that's all anybody ever needs) but he's so good he doesn't even throw the same disc on back-to-back throws. I don't even know why he bothers posting on this forum with us lowly n00bs. His vast stores of knowledge are clearly wasted on us.

Minis are easy/convenient to keep in your pocket during a round.

This makes sense... Man, I just got a new scaled down big z nuke mini that looks so cool, but at about 15cm (max mini size) it doesn't fit my pockets so well :(

It's certainly nice that little baby discs are there to protect us from scheming double-marking sons-of-mothers. Where do people come up with this hogwash? If anyone wanted to steal a few inches here or there it could be easily done, with or without a marker. Whooooo cares?

I've never once used a mini marker and never will. Happily, everyone I've ever played pdga events with has been grown enough to understand that this is an inconsequential and entirely ignorable rule.

Who is the deciding party on what rules are inconsequential and entirely ignorable? You? Part of the challenge of every sport is to excel within the confines of the set rules. You may try to cheat, but getting caught should have an appropriate penalty. I, for one, would likely exercise my option, to ensure the penalty portion of the rules is not considered inconsequential and entirely ignorable. :|

Exactly, that's why you don't have to use one if you don't want to.

You're missing the point -- if I want to mark my disc (say to throw the same disc again) why can't I just use a different disc. The requiring an additional "marker" doesn't add to act of marking the disc. (yes -- I read all the posts about "flipping the disc twice" and the rest of the attempts to justify minis -- they're just unnecessary.)

Were I writing the rules there wouldn't be minis and there wouldn't be marking the disc in the front. Play the disc where it is, if want to throw it again put a different disc in the same place, but I'm pretty sure we're too far down the rabbit hole for any common sense corrections now.

You're missing the point -- if I want to mark my disc (say to throw the same disc again) why can't I just use a different disc. The requiring an additional "marker" doesn't add to act of marking the disc. (yes -- I read all the posts about "flipping the disc twice" and the rest of the attempts to justify minis -- they're just unnecessary.)

Were I writing the rules there wouldn't be minis and there wouldn't be marking the disc in the front. Play the disc where it is, if want to throw it again put a different disc in the same place, but I'm pretty sure we're too far down the rabbit hole for any common sense corrections now.

This kinda of common sense opens the door for the unscrupulous to take advantage of certain situations that using a mini eliminates. The mini works why the hate on it? They are also fun to toss around. You being a phily guy should know isn't there a bunch of mini courses not too far from phily?

This kinda of common sense opens the door for the unscrupulous to take advantage of certain situations that using a mini eliminates. The mini works why the hate on it? They are also fun to toss around. You being a phily guy should know isn't there a bunch of mini courses not too far from phily?

I'm assuming he means, always throw from behind the disc. I'm not sure that opens the door for much of anything.

I guess if you wanted to re-throw the same disc, you could replace it with another, and in doing so put the replacement disc a little forward. But not much, without it being obvious.

I'm assuming - stressing the word assuming - the idea for minis was originally to replicate the marking process in golf.

I don't see why using another disc would be an issue as it has the same purpose.

However, the no-marking idea that Chuck suggested earlier is really a horrible idea that I would floored it approved without a contingency of how using the same disc again or how to mark re-location of lies (OB, drop zones, etc) would be handled.

Mini courses -- yes, I'm familiar with them.

The reason for the "hate" on the mini is that I disagree with it "works". There's no difference to marking your disc with any other disc instead of having to use a mini. "Unscrupulous" actions aren't eliminated by the use of a mini versus anything else you want to put in place of the disc.

No hate for the mini itself -- it's the rule(s) about having to use the mini that are silly.

As far as mimicking ball golf -- that's all well and good except we fail to emulate the part where the ball is replaced in the same location. Ball golfers don't gain the diameter of the ball like disc golfers do. You want to put the mini "behind" the disc have at it -- now you're losing the diameter of the disc and the mini in the direction of the basket, I doubt they'd be a lot of minis used then.

This issue is not more than trivial. No one misunderstand that I'm on a crusade to eliminate minis, i'm only pointing out that they're not necessary.

I'm anti-mini, but I think you're wrong about the distance. The idea of the mini being in front of your disc was that your foot would be where the disc was---seen as no change in distance. You choose to give up a little distance when you don't use a mini.

In truth, unlike golf, your release point will never be where the disc was, no matter how you mark it (or don't).

I'm in favor of forgetting about emulating golf, and playing behind the disc.

Speaking for myself - and it's all any of us can do - I like the ritual of slowly walking up to my disc at rest, visually squaring up my line as I approach, and then gently laying a mini down in the appropriate spot. It tends to slow down my brain a little, and gives me the opportunity to consistently get into a pre-shot routine, which seems to help my focus.

I used to lose a lot of minis, until I changed it up to include placing the just-marked disc atop it, and slightly forward. Looks kind of like this from the side: _\

Haven't lost a mini since.

I'm anti-mini, but I think you're wrong about the distance. The idea of the mini being in front of your disc was that your foot would be where the disc was---seen as no change in distance. You choose to give up a little distance when you don't use a mini.

In truth, unlike golf, your release point will never be where the disc was, no matter how you mark it (or don't).

I'm in favor of forgetting about emulating golf, and playing behind the disc.

As long as everyone understands this is not an issue that requires any attention above trivial status -- I disagree on the "no change in distance" since you're not releasing the disc from the closer point to the target just like the ball golfer isn't hitting the ball from the point closer to their target. I understand your statement, I just disagree that disc golfers aren't getting the diameter of the disc -- we are and I understand the vagaries of playing in the air versus actually hitting a ball from tee to cup. In a perfect disc golf world you're playing from a disc diameter in front of where you should be if you get what I'm implying. If not -- no worries.

Ball golf has a decided cool factor because you're actually propelling the object from the beginning to the end -- disc golf only has way more style in the air to compete with the neatness of ball golf's "play-it-where-it-lies" cache.

Again -- everyone's love of and comfortableness with the mini is fine -- c'est la vie. I understand the rules, I play by the rules, the mini just shouldn't be a part of the rules because there's nothing gained . . . and very little lost hence the trivialness of the discussion.