• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wide-rimmed discs

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've somewhat recently come across "The Boss" which has a much wider rim than any disc I've used before and I just love the way it fits in my hand. I'm able to throw this disc further than any of my others and I feel one of the reasons is because I can get such a good grip on it when I throw it (got my first ever ace the 5th time I threw it with a skip-in). For me, this disc is extremely over-stable, which I don't consider to be a bad thing, it's just the way it is. I was wondering if there are any other wide-rimmed discs out there that are more under-stable than The Boss.

The problem (if you want to call it that) is that I can't use The Boss for any holes that arc to the right (I throw right hand back handed) or ones that are narrow straight holes because the disc always dives off to the left and if it was a low throw will skip even further left once it hits the ground. So I'm wondering if there are any discs out there that would fit in my hand the same as The Boss, but hold a straight line for the entirety of the shot and not dive off left at the end. Or if there are any wide-rimmed discs that would be considered under stable and hold a continuous right curve.

Use the search box and enter "Groove"... you'll find all you want to know.

Yeah, I was reading about the Groove in some of those threads, but from what I could discern it was still an over stable disc, just not as much as the Boss, although I suppose I would really need to throw it for myself to see how much of a difference it is for my particular style.

Another option would be to learn how to sidearm and Xcaliber when you need to turn right.

The Groove has the same high speed turn (-2) and low speed fade (2) as the Valkyrie and Beast, so I imagine it would fly similar to those two discs.

Just thought of another disc to try a Force by Discraft mine is kinda like a Destroyer maybe a little more stable.

The Groove has the same high speed turn (-2) and low speed fade (2) as the Valkyrie and Beast, so I imagine it would fly similar to those two discs.
I've never thrown either of those so I wouldn't know how to compare them.

A Monarch is a kinda wide rim, and will sure turn right. have you tried a destroyer?
I have a Monarch and am not a big fan of it, especially the rim on it. I find it the hardest of all my discs to grip cause of how it goes straight and then dips. But I haven't tried a Destroyer.

I guess what I'm looking for is a disc with a wide rim similar to The Boss and something that will fly similar to a Sidewinder-- something that is controllable and that will land flat on low straight shots instead of at an angle.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm looking for is a disc with a wide rim similar to The Boss and something that will fly similar to a Sidewinder-- something that is controllable and that will land flat on low straight shots instead of at an angle.

I've noticed that the big rimmed, high speed discs seem to fade and skip alot more than smaller rimmed discs. The Groove is listed as a turnover disc with just a little fade, but after watching my buddy throw his today, it was pretty stable, and he's capable of throwing over 400 ft. Unfortunately I feel like Innova may be using those numbers just to sell discs. Maybe it was just his disc, maybe not. I was alot like you in the since that the wide rimmed discs only felt comfortable to grip. I have since tried different grips, specifically the fan grip, and now I feel comfortable using smaller rimmed discs with very little fade. Now, if its an open shot where I need lots of D, I'll grab my Destroyer or Wraith, but any time I walk up to a tight little fairway, I'm reaching for my Leopard or Valkyrie, usually ending up with a good upshot. Its all about the grips. Good luck!

Last edited:
Just bought (hav'nt recieved) 3 X-out grooves from DGC. Thanks guys! One is 162 & two are 163. Lighter discs will have a tendency to be more controlable & have less fade! YMMV! I also like the "feel" of the rim, what i dont like is the slick plastic. If mine does'nt fliy like i want it to, (strait & far) i'm going to intentionally beat it up! For under $10 what do i have to lose!?

I'm with you, the boss is my favorite driver and I love it! I have ordered the new groove to see if that will work well for me too. I really like the wide rim discs too. I don't really know what's going to be more understable and have a big rim. I have noticed that when the boss gets beat in, it becomes more understable. My first run boss that is becoming beat in is starting to fly straighter. I got a new second run boss that is new and still overstable.

My boss is still very stable, but I got ahold of one that had been beaten in and it was money...it might be still flying.

For the numbers to work out, you have to be able to get the disc up to speed. For me the Groove is a lot more overstable than a Valkyrie because I do have the power requirement to throw a speed 9 disc, but I don't have the power requirement to be throwing a speed 13 disc. Everything over speed 10 for me plays more overstable than the disc ratings indicate they should. I take that as my hint not to throw anything over speed 10.

Uh, just get a Boss or Groove and learn to throw sidearm, problem solved. You'd be better off doing that than getting different understable discs and trying to throw backhand, or at least your wallet would be better off.

I just got a DX destroyer as part of a tournament players package and I really like it as well as the overstability of it. It makes me think that I would love the Boss and the Groove. I like my Valk but I have too much snap. All fo the to say that the best way to be able to make all the shots that you want to make is to learn as many different way to throw a disc as you possibly can. You walk put to a shot and have at least six ways to throw a disc and it really doesn't matter. Forehand, Backhand, Rollers, Tomahawks, Thumbers and Top Skippers. And that is not to mention the different styles of putting you could use. Then you start to dream about the different variations that you could put on all of those shots and you step up to your lie and you think oh boy what do I get to do this time.

I thought the Destroyer had similar characteristics to the Boss? Boss just had slightly more speed. I think you want to experiment with a Beast?