• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Will Innova make discs similar to the Atlas?

I think they will continue to make more overmold discs. I could see them making a Roc-O, or an Aviar-O, or insert what ever you want at the end there. I could see them taking popular molds and making them into overmolds to test the market.

So far it seems like the atlas is a hit, with its good color combos and its easy throwability.

I for one would love to see an overmold roc.

I would imagine if sales are good on the Atlas they will milk this for all it's worth.

Exactly what I was thinking! With all of the "New" disc companies coming out with disc, Innova will probably look into other ways to patent disc so they don't get faded out of people's bags.

I want to finally see a putter overmolded in base line plastic. Super rigid flightplate (G9i), and gummy rim (floppy, chalky RFF). Of course, I want Gateway to do this since I putt Wizards, but I still want to see anyone do it.

Due to the nature of overmolding Innova is likely seeing smaller profit margins with the Atlas compared to their other discs...SO I'm sure they don't really want to make more. They wanted to have something on the market to visually compete with MVP's look. The Atlas accomplishes this goal well, so unless they sell like the early Blizzard discs I don't see Innova in any hurry to start overmolding more discs.

Due to the nature of overmolding Innova is likely seeing smaller profit margins with the Atlas compared to their other discs...SO I'm sure they don't really want to make more. They wanted to have something on the market to visually compete with MVP's look. The Atlas accomplishes this goal well, so unless they sell like the early Blizzard discs I don't see Innova in any hurry to start overmolding more discs.

Have you thrown one yet? Curious about what you thought.

is the atlas an overmold? i dont think it is, the entire rim is a different plastic its not over anything. just saying'

Anyone know specifics about the atlas? Is the rim plastic more or less dense, or the same density as the flight plate? When producing atlases of different weights where does the weight get added?

From what I have read I am under the impression that the MAIN purpose of the atlas overmold was for grip. Put a grippier plastic on the rim. MVP's whole shtick is that all the flight plates are pretty much the same and weight is added to the rim (gyrotech) which I would guess helps add consistency to the manufacturing process as well.

I am just wondering how it all compares. The atlas gives off a gimmicky feel, but I don't know enough about it to judge.

faor enough i was just pointing out what MVP does is overmold because the core is still part of the wing. on the atlas the wing is the outermold.

Technically, I would consider MVP to be the outermolder because of its core comprising part of the rim. The overmold mold is placed on the outside of the core whereas the Atlas is molded over the rim.

At the end of the day, they're both overmolds. They're just two different processes.

I like the Atlas, I hit an ace that payed out $136 on my first round with it, but I don't think I would like an Innova driver in this style. I would REALLY like to see them use this technology to make an overmold RHYNO!!! Think about it, put the extra grip on the thumbtrack but leave a super flat star top on it!! I could see this instantly becoming a go to driving putter for many people!!

A putter looks like its next. Dave explains the idea behind the overmold on the pdga discussion board and that a putter is in the works.

faor enough i was just pointing out what MVP does is overmold because the core is still part of the wing. on the atlas the wing is the outermold.

Also innova makes no effort to add more weight to the very edge, they completely ignored the point of having an over-mold. MVP GYRO tech ftw!!! :p

MVP made it science, Innova made it a gimmick =/

Latest posts