• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wind fighting driver for 350ft thrower

I'm looking for a reliable big headwind driver. As reference, i can throw a Buzzz 280 with accuracy, Teebird 300-320 on course on avg, and a Wraith 320-340 on avg.

What would you suggest - model and weight? It's my first foray into really overstable and I want to start I. The right general area without buying and trying a ton of discs. (the only one I've tried is a max weight Firebird, but I want something more humane for distance)

Z Predator Discraft. Boom. Money. There it is

Firebird if you like a smaller rim, Flick if you like a little larger rim.
Xcal if you want the best fast upwind (read least nose sensitive) driver in the game.

What? No love for the tsunami?

I'm using a 167g proline tsunami and that sucker devours the wind like nothing else.

Really, with wind. Apart from the suggestions so far.. Is height. Get any disc too high and the wind will get under it to create extra fade. Need a solid apex line of throw to maximize the hyzer line.

What? No love for the tsunami?

I'm using a 167g proline tsunami and that sucker devours the wind like nothing else.

Really, with wind. Apart from the suggestions so far.. Is height. Get any disc too high and the wind will get under it to create extra fade. Need a solid apex line of throw to maximize the hyzer line.

Tsunami and Predator are same disc right? Discraft molds both with same mold, correct?

I haven't seen it mentioned yet -- maybe I missed it -- but is he looking for just a headwind stable driver to make well placed shots or is is he looking for distance.

My question to you sir -- What are you looking for this disc to do in a headwind, besides be stable and not flip.

This will really narrow down all the drivers mentioned -- i.e. Xcal, Boss, Friebird, Monster, XXX, etc. -- in previous posts. These are all great headwind drivers, but they still do different thing in headwinds.

Guessing that you are looking for headwind DISTANCE, I would suggest a Champion Destroyer -- Glow if you can get your hands on one. Champ Destroyers are very stable in headwinds, especially with arms that push discs 350, like yourself.

my
images

Like most have said Predator is the way to go. I like them in Z, I also throw a Force
But lately I have just used a Domey Flash. That way I can have fewer molds and then when the domey gets flippy I get a new domey one and the flippy one becomes max D driver.(that doesn't come out in a head wind

I love my Teerex's. I have a Star 163 that takes on 15+ headwinds no problem. Anything less you could most likely use your Wraith. I also break out my Champ Teerex X (170g and a CFR) when it get plain crazy 30+, but that's not to often. I've tried the Frenzy, Pred, XXX, Talon, and Xtra. Of al those the Frenzy came the closest for me, be it "D" of stability, but I still go back to the Teerex. I throw around the same as you (distance) and for me, anything faster than the Teerex was too much.

FORCE FORCE FORCE!! Mine can take wind like no other disc I've ever seen... never once had it flip.

Or a Z Predator...

aj

Domey Pro Boss is my headwind driver now. I never really put a disc in my bag just for headwind, then when spring hit we had a solid week of 25mph winds. It was sorta fun though. Half of the time I play scrambles because I have some friends that aren't as good, and half of the holes I'd have to just shake my head and say "nope, not that disc"

Z Predator. I threw Firebirds for years and just switched to Preds, can't say enough good about them.

c-line PD or a predator

My old Z Predator is showing age from too many solid tree hits. I have a C-line PD in the mail right now to replace it.

The Z Pred is an awesome disc in the wind. Very controllable after you've gotten used to it.

Lat64 Blitz

Lat 64 only makes heavier discs, but they float like crazy and with mad distance. See if a friend has one, throw it and compare it to the most similar disc in your bag and see.
I'd try a Riot since you're edging into the overstable world. If otherwise I'd say check out the Vision, it absolutely kills for an understable driver.

I carry two predators and two forces. They both fly great when new and when they're beat.

Latest posts