• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter bag set up

Zach_keys

Does anybody switch up what they throw a bit for winter? I've heard eveything from just work on midrange shots and putting to throwing softer more flexable discs. what do you guys do? Also whats in your bag for this winter?

Last winter (when I really just began playing) I played with a full bag and so did all of the guys I played with that have been playing tournaments for 3+ years. This winter I will most likely keep a full bag but favor forehand. It can be very frustrating to throw backhand because of the lack of traction. Definitely have to slow it down and play more of a finesse game.

I put almost all premium plastic in the bag......no dx, kc or base plastic (except a few putters). I learned the hard way how easy things can break/crack/shatter when its cold out. Also I like to lean towards the understable side.........everybody is different though, at the very least save your base plastic for warmer weather.

I throw all of the same discs that I do normally haha of course in NC it isn't really as cold as up north

I put almost all premium plastic in the bag......no dx, kc or base plastic (except a few putters). I learned the hard way how easy things can break/crack/shatter when its cold out. Also I like to lean towards the understable side.........everybody is different though, at the very least save your base plastic for warmer weather.

I'm the opposite. Champ/Z/Opto/whatever goes out the window immediately - it hurts to throw them with power all day. I carry my double Nutsac and do not play tournaments in the winter (not that I'm big on tournys anyway). Softer putter, softer control mid, my OS mid [Drone] is already FLX, only carry my SOLF (instead of it and two Quantums), and don't bother bringing my maxD driver(s). Currently on the hunt for a soft overstable driver...may just have to try and track down a real gummy *FB.

I played two days ago and shot -2 with:

Gravity Clutch
FLX Drone
S-OLF
Star Valkyrie

My bag gets considerably smaller in the winter. I take out all the baseline plastic and also the Champion/Elite Z-type plastic (the grip gets bad in really cold weather). I throw mostly ESP, ESP FLX and R-Pro--and I take out the faster drivers, too.

Maybe one disc more understable and put the oranges and reds back into rotation after fall removal.

I just throw Gateway and Vibram, so I have every kind of weather covered.

I remove all my white discs & I add my black & darker color ones. I make my bag smaller & take out all the baseline plastic out of my bag, besides my putting putters. I use mostly Star but I do carry some Champion plastic discs. It gets cold in WI so I usually have clothes restricting my throws so I throw slower & more understable discs in the winter. I do only a few tourneys, significantly less than in warmer weather. Great time of the year to disc down & learn some new discs/molds.

I've been thinking alot about this lately. I've just used my normal bag in the past. And it sucks because I feel like DX has the best grip when wet/covered in snow, but breaks really easy in the cold. So I think this winter I'm going to drop down to a smaller bag and just use Star and Neutron plastic. Although I really don't play that often in the snow anyways, so for just plain cold those should do pretty well.

Only thing really for me is less discs as a whole (unless I'm traveling to play new courses) to offset weight of extra clothes with less plastic weight. In terms of softer plastic vs harder, I don't change. Broken equal number of softer and harder discs. Time of year is irrelevant too.

Maryland winters are usually pretty mild so I throw the same discs, swapping out any white ones on the infrequent occasions when we get persistent snow cover. I don't like the grip of Champion-type plastics when it is slushy so I might carry DX Rocs instead of my trusty Lucid Truth, and maybe use Protege Clutches in place of Icon for my driving putter.

I would love to find a 165ish Truth in a grippier plastic for winter.

Ive found that biofuzion is a good grip in plastic. They make a classic soft suspect hopefully a classic soft truth soon

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for light Fuzion, Biofuzion, or Classic Truths. Unfortunately most I have seen are heavier than I like (< 170).

Latest posts