• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter...

True. I'd hate to be up north where its in the negative at least a month out of the year.

The fact the sun goes down so early is much worse than the temps.. for those that work during the day.
basically eliminates weekday rounds for me. :(

Hate it. I don't have any waterproof shoes or boots, and around here the soil stays muddy and swampy all winter long, so it's such a miserable slog with cold wet feet, lousy traction, and mud all over everything. Yuck.

Muck boots are perfect for what you describe. Dry, warm, and decent grip,; best winter disc golf shoes I've tried.

I love winter golf, love it. Or at least I used to. Last year Father Time and Old Man Winter finally hit these old broken bones. Hurts more than I would like. That said, I'll be out there at least once or twice a week. Zephyr golf!

Low 30's at night, mid 60's during the day here, loving it. Just wish mornings were a bit warmer. Summer though, sucks once it starts getting up to 100+ every dang day.

This is so ridiculous. I'd kill for 30 degree mornings right now.

basically eliminates weekday rounds for me. :(
You should get out and try some glow disc. The LED lights are cheap at Extremeglow.com like 70 cents apiece. I almost enjoy night golf as much as day. The course is typically empty and quiet and the LED make a disc easier to find than during the day.

I really can't complain about the winter here in Dallas. Still able to get out and play regularly without any issues. We do get some cold and wet days, but I have lived up north (Chicago) and I know what a real winter is like. We have it good this time of year.

Best part of winter is none of you wusses are on the course! Only the real disc golfers play in winter!

If we had a real winter here, I'd still be playing. As it is, after work glow rounds are usually in the 40's so i can still wear shorts.:clap:

Winter is a good time to re-energize and pursue other activities. As long as I've been playing a break once in a while is necessary.

Last edited:
I love the cold as long as there is some snow on the ground! Ice Bowls are coming up which is a plus and we've started our local putting league. I'm trying to get my short game up to par and on occasion, I can get in some field work or play a round on the weekend. Winter is a great time for dyeing plastic as well!

You should get out and try some glow disc. The LED lights are cheap at Extremeglow.com like 70 cents apiece. I almost enjoy night golf as much as day. The course is typically empty and quiet and the LED make a disc easier to find than during the day.

True this, our Glow Leagues run all winter long in Michigan. As long as the pads are shoveled and salted and the snow isn't deep powder winter glow golf is a good time. :thmbup:

Embrace it for what it is, no casuals, no mosquitoes, no poison ivy, no leaves on the trees and the courses are generally empty outside of a few brave souls. :D

These 70 degree days are a killer. It's going to be 80 again next Sat though, and there is a lot of Diablo 3 to be played too!

Embrace it for what it is, no casuals, no mosquitoes, no poison ivy, no leaves on the trees and the courses are generally empty outside of a few brave souls. :D

Watch yourself now. I somehow managed to get poison ivy on my arm last week. Just because the leaves are gone doesn't mean the oil is absent from the plant. Look out for the vines - they can still cause problems for us year-round. It is nice that the courses here are much easier now...it gets tougher and tougher as the leaves come back to the trees in the spring!

First winter in Houston after growing up in the midwest and I'm quite happy with being able to play year round. Sun sets later in the winter than up north and mild temps make it very favorable to play this time of year. In the summer though any round past noon is pretty rough with the heat and humidity. Fwiw I rarely threw during a northern winter, more due to the snow and wetness than the cold.

-4 today. Waiting for my order of baseline ions to arrive so i can go test them out.

:| winter sucks but gotta keep living.

Still waiting for a day under 70 so I can wear something besides a tank top when I play.

18 degrees at 7am tee off this morning. As long as there's no wind, the cold isnt an issue.

Agreed!

It's 30 degrees here now, ground is frozen and no snow to deal with, but the wind is gusting +15mph! I know I should just blow it off, but I'm itching to throw! I'll probably go anyway, I take my fix anytime I can, besides, I want to test out my new Verdict and the wind is calling.

-6 today here. Yeah I don't play under 15 F. But really on a sunny day, 20's aren't too bad, just dress appropriate. Plus the cold weather keeps a lot of people away, so there are times where you have the course with just hardcore DG bros. And it's a lot of fun.
I did play in a tourney once in 0 F temps....it was brutal and many people quit. Luckily, cuz I ended up winning the division ;-)

But around here, anything above 20 is usually fair game and people are out. Twin Cities MN

Don't forget to strap on these gnarly traction devices

kahtoola_microspikes.jpg

Latest posts