• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter...

Waiting for a comment on whether spikes or any other type of grips are bad for any tee surfaces. Scratching up concrete tees for instance. I have heard salt is bad for concrete tees but I'm not even sure why.

Salt melts the ice into water then seeps into the concrete pores and refreezes, causing cracks.

Spikes(like the ones I pictured) are mostly harmless to concrete. Just some surface scratches. Fly pads or turf would be a bad idea.

I have a winter question. Grip? When it gets cold and dry out I can't get any grip on my discs. What is best to use for grip? Thanks!

I use G Star plastic. It stays gummy and flexible in the wintertime. (And it's hilariously droopy in hundred-degree weather.)

I have a winter question. Grip? When it gets cold and dry out I can't get any grip on my discs. What is best to use for grip? Thanks!

I use G Star plastic. It stays gummy and flexible in the wintertime. (And it's hilariously droopy in hundred-degree weather.)

Yup, I use mainly champion type plastics so in the winter I lose distance. I'm In the process of obtaining more colder weather plastic.

a warm hand.

as long as you keep your hand nice and toasty (like, really warm, almost sweaty) in relation to that cold plastic, you'll always grip just fine.

I use a birdie bag in the summer weather to get rid of the clamminess of my grip. Is there any kind of birdie bag type device to use in the winter months to give me, say more... Clamminess?

Shoot i set a new personal best today at -7. Winter ain't too bad so far! Granted it's Texas, old man winter doesn't stay here long usually.

Gotta work on that short game, in the winter thats all i do. Approaches and putts, i play only short courses and usually only 9 holes.

a warm hand.

as long as you keep your hand nice and toasty (like, really warm, almost sweaty) in relation to that cold plastic, you'll always grip just fine.

Bingo. I've been playing in the winter for 15+ years and grip has never been a major issue as long as I can keep my throwing hand warm, regardless of plastic type.

Agreed. As long as your hand is warm, and your footing is decent, there's not much difference in winter discing.

winter golf has long been one of my favorite seasons... depends of course on the winter in question... some have been too intense for even people like me who know how to dress, keep warm, and find discs in snow :)

but yeah, very fun... esp at courses that see lots of people during fair weather days... all those chuckers take winters off :thmbsup:

Another voice for warm hands = better grip. My 1st year chucking in the snow I tried wearing a glove on my throwing hand. While a few of the gloves I tried offered reasonable grip in the cold and wet of winter, there was a definite lack of that all important feel. A handwarmer in a left side pocket works like a charm. I keep my hand in my pocket fondling that little packet of warmth from shot to shot. I will use 2 handwarmers on temps approaching single digits or lower.

As for plastics, I tried GStar, couldn't "warm" up to it. I switch to Star plastic with my Leopard and Orc. And DX plastic has a grippier feel in winter than Champion imho. And I prefer ESP FLX for most of my Discraft discs in the Winter if the mold is offered in it.

The first few winters I played it seemed like that Champion was too slick and I would have no chance. I went to plastics like DX, Pro, FLX, and so on. What killed that line of thinking was Latitude's Gold Line. I wanted to have premium plastic that I could throw year-round, not just for a particular season. I had a Gold Line Halo that had zero grip in the winter and it was beyond frustrating trying to hit big lines I knew I could hit in warmer/drier weather. Everything after that went to FLX .

Then something clicked a few years back, dry and warm hands (not hot because they can become sweaty) have the perfect grip and feel for translucent plastics. Moisture is easier to wipe off such hard plastics, making it quicker and easier to dry. Most other softer plastics actually spread and bead moisture instead of allowing the towel to soak it up or wipe it off. I carry a lot of towels with me and the sleeves on my hoodies have become rather ragged. To keep my hands dry, I have larger mittens with a handwarmer for warmth and a washcloth or a wad of papertowel to absorb snow or sweat.

Here's an announcement from my local parks department:

Winter Recreation Rental Shack Closed due to Extreme Cold

Too cold to cross country ski or snowshoe, but not too cold to disc golf.

Latest posts