• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wisconsin - Dells & Madison area

barrymockies

I'm in the area for a couple of days. What's the best course around here? Where should I play? Thanks!

Baraboo is a short course with a bunch of ace runs, but many of the holes are pretty technical and entertaining.

If you find yourself over in Watertown (about 30 min from Madison) Rock River is pretty nice. Only played the front 9 last weekend, but I'll definitely play it again and all of it if I'm in the area again!

Madison...Elver on west side...Hiestand on east side (Glide Disc Golf Pro Shop is across the street)...Token Creek (27 holes) just 10 minutes north of Hiestand...Bird's Ruins in Marshall.

Madison...Elver on west side...Hiestand on east side (Glide Disc Golf Pro Shop is across the street)...Token Creek (27 holes) just 10 minutes north of Hiestand...Bird's Ruins in Marshall.
great first post!!! welcome!!! I second hiestand. Great course great shop right there too!!!

elver is solid also but if only time for one madison course hiestand takes the cake. Bird ruins is great, long play and the course looks like its never played.

I'm going to be doing a family trip to the Dells with the wife, kids, and grandparents in May. Looking for suggestions in the Dells and up to maybe 30 miles outside the Dells; I probably won't veer all the way to Madison since I don't think anyone else would have interest in heading that way, but I could potentially get a day pass if there's a course there that's an absolute must play.

So as for courses near the Dells, I'm looking at:
1. Fawn Creek Winery. Looks like a simple little pitch 'n' putt, but it's attached to a winery so I can go with the wife and let her drink wine for 45 minutes while I play the 9 hole track. While this course doesn't get me too excited, I KNOW that I can play it due to the whole winery thing making it a visitable location for more than just me.
2. Wilderness DGC in Montello. Course looks absolutely awesome. Is this the best in the area? If I get one day pass to go play somewhere by myself, I think this is the place to use it on. Correct? Or is there somewhere better?
3. Baraboo Lions DGC. Looks like a decent course and is located near some state parks that we were already planning on visiting. Probably not a "must play" course but I might be able to make this work if we're already doing stuff in the neighborhood.

Thoughts?

I'm going to be doing a family trip to the Dells with the wife, kids, and grandparents in May. Looking for suggestions in the Dells and up to maybe 30 miles outside the Dells; I probably won't veer all the way to Madison since I don't think anyone else would have interest in heading that way, but I could potentially get a day pass if there's a course there that's an absolute must play.

1. Fawn Creek Winery. Looks like a simple little pitch 'n' putt, but it's attached to a winery so I can go with the wife and let her drink wine for 45 minutes while I play the 9 hole track. While this course doesn't get me too excited, I KNOW that I can play it due to the whole winery thing making it a visitable location for more than just me.
2. Wilderness DGC in Montello. Course looks absolutely awesome. Is this the best in the area? If I get one day pass to go play somewhere by myself, I think this is the place to use it on. Correct? Or is there somewhere better?
3. Baraboo Lions DGC. Looks like a decent course and is located near some state parks that we were already planning on visiting. Probably not a "must play" course but I might be able to make this work if we're already doing stuff in the neighborhood.

Thoughts?

Baraboo was fun. Dual tees most holes, some shot variety. Nothing crazy unique but a solid 18. Wilderness is supposed to be awesome. I was planning on playing last April but the soggy conditions, a drive back to Minneapolis and a hangover got in my way. I also played Justin trails which was really fun. A few different courses/layouts on site. I played the smaller course that winds around the valley, but the guys in the shop were telling me about the big mountain course which seemed like it would be worth the drive. Had a mont du lac white cedar look/sound to it.

Baraboo was fun. Dual tees most holes, some shot variety. Nothing crazy unique but a solid 18. Wilderness is supposed to be awesome. I was planning on playing last April but the soggy conditions, a drive back to Minneapolis and a hangover got in my way. I also played Justin trails which was really fun. A few different courses/layouts on site. I played the smaller course that winds around the valley, but the guys in the shop were telling me about the big mountain course which seemed like it would be worth the drive. Had a mont du lac white cedar look/sound to it.

Thanks for the tip on Justin Trails. That wasn't even on my radar, but it looks awesome so I'll keep it in mind.

Wilderness might be my favorite course in the state if you exclude highbridge. If you can get there do it.

It looks amazing. If I only get one round in on vacation, I think I will prioritize Wilderness.

Thoughts?

The correct answer is:

2. Wilderness DGC

You won't regret it.

Yes, Wilderness.

But if you can make it to Justin Trails, Big Brother is really great. It's in my top 5 WI courses, out of over 250 played in the state.

I appreciate the tips from such a well-traveled Wisconsinite. But to clarify, did you play Justin Trails and Wilderness before or after you peaked?

Big Brother is probably in my top 5 too. So much variety, from long bombers to woody, technical shots to rolling hills. Plus the 18th hole is so fun to throw. Watch out for the tall grass during the summer. Lost many a discs in those fields.

Wilderness is another great one. Just needs a little more underbrush removal. If you go to the Wilderness, Zobal is only a half an hour away and a completely hidden gem.

Heistand is a good too. Elver is so-so to me now. After playing it alot when i was younger, its luster has faded I guess. Token is definitely worth the $8 all day pass. Lots of variety, well-maintenanced, and a beautiful course.

If I had the above options I'd definitely do Justin Trails above the others. Wilderness and Zobel as pretty close seconds. But Big Brother at Justin Trails is as close to a Highbridge level course as I've played in the state or anywhere really. It's a top 5 course for me out of over 200 played in WI. Wilderness is great too, but I personally like Zobel a touch better. It really is a hidden gem. You can't go wrong with any one of these though.

Wilderness is another great one. Just needs a little more underbrush removal. If you go to the Wilderness, Zobal is only a half an hour away and a completely hidden gem.

My brother and I hit up these two courses on our way from Michigan to Minnesota, with stops in Indiana (Lemon Lake), Illinois (The Canyons) and Wisconsin (Wilderness and Zobel).

If I recall correctly both Wilderness and Zobel had two pads and two basket placements on every hole. At Wilderness they had both Red and Yellow baskets where as Zobel moved the basket to one location. Enjoyed both courses and each had some memorable holes. Felt like Zobel was more defined fairways with thicker rough, where as Wilderness was less defined fairways and not as punishing of rough. Some fun elevation shots at both courses, hope to make it back there down the road.

Thanks for all the insight, folks. Not sure how much disc golf I will get to do, so it's nice to have some great options. Might be able to do a couple of days where I play 18 holes of golf for my dad and wrangle him into 18 holes of disc golf. Obviously a lot of time will be spent with my kids doing the whole water park thing, too.

My trip is a week away. How is the weather right now? I saw that the Dells were supposed to get snow last week and a bunch of rain this week. Everything pretty mushy but still playable?

As the time gets closer, I've honed in on the following courses, organized by likelihood that I play them:
1. Wilderness. It's my personal top vacation priority, so I'm 95% sure I'll get a chance to play it.
2. Mile Bluff. I've convinced my wife that we should take a pitstop at this 6-hole course just before getting into town. The fact that it's quick and short plays to my advantage. This plan is contingent on the kids riding in the grandparents' car though.
3. Fawn Creek. If we go to the winery, then obviously I'll need to bring my bag for disc golf. Doesn't look like a great course, but vacations are all about compromising and a winery has something fun for more than just me.
4. Zobel. This one is unlikely, but it sounds like I may be playing a round of ball golf with my dad at Erin Hills in Oshkosh. Zobel appears to be on the way. So there's a chance that we could hit it on the way back from Oshkosh, but that would make a really long day.
5. Baraboo Lions. Also unlikely, and it doesn't sound like a great course so I won't advocate too hard to play it. But if we have some extra time on a day that we're hiking the nearby state park, then maybe.
6. Justin Trails. It's unlikely that I'll get to pick my own itinerary for multiple days, and based on the majority of suggestions I'm prioritizing Wilderness over JT. If I strike the vacation jackpot then I'd love to play JT too, but that's a longshot.

Mile Bluff is cool. The golf isn't overly tough, but the course is just plopped into a super cool little nook. You'll get through it pretty quick, but there's one hole specifically that you get to the basket and are quite surprised.

Fawn Creek is good enough.

Zobel is worth the stop. The baskets will be in tourney positions, which takes it from a really fun course to an exceptional course.

Baraboo is fine. Nothing spectacular.

Justin Trails is special. If I had to choose between that and Wilderness, I'd choose JT....but you'll certainly not go wrong with Wilderness. I drive the 1.5 hours to play that quite a bit.