• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard/magic gateway craze

Wizards , Magics

Ok , please lay it down !

Going to order discs and want Wizards and Magics

Rff , chalky dead bears , eraser , g91 , SSS , Evo glo , e-hpp ???????

Ordering from the north side of the border and want to make it worthwhile !

2 of each or 4 of some ?

More for putting than driving , I need to learn how to putt as I'm stepping into tourneys a bit more seriously this year ( hit my first 3 , and I can't putt like everyone else . Even if I hit , I want more consistency )

Not afraid of money , would rather touch but never seen Gateway up here in the Tundra .

And yes , heading back to Washington and Oregon this year , loved Oregon last summer . Would like to keep heading south to Cali this spring , and maybe east of Washington .

Thanks in advance , looking forward to the new season ! Haven't played since new years eve , going to the field !

If you're not sure how you like your putters, I would recommend emailing Gateway and look into a stack of 10 Wizards (not a fan of Magics :) ). Explain that you're not sure what firmness you want and ask for pairs of different feels. I think it's best to buy Wizards in pairs AT LEAST.

I personally went from OG SSS and across the spectrum until I finally settled back in to firm putters with the G9i. I like the G9i because it's really firm and gives me a much cleaner release while remaining really grabby at the chains. I'm currently putting with my original OG that is pretty soft after 3 years of exclusive use though. Even in the snow it's a little too soft (super grippy though), but I am not going to sacrifice the G9i I've fallen in love with. I can't wait until the snow melts.

I started with g9i Wizards and worked my way down the chart until I found ones that felt nice and fit my game(mood). I would at least start with, medium flex, soft flex, and super soft. That will get you going.

Ok , please lay it down !

Going to order discs and want Wizards and Magics

Rff , chalky dead bears , eraser , g91 , SSS , Evo glo , e-hpp ???????

Ordering from the north side of the border and want to make it worthwhile !

2 of each or 4 of some ?

More for putting than driving , I need to learn how to putt as I'm stepping into tourneys a bit more seriously this year ( hit my first 3 , and I can't putt like everyone else . Even if I hit , I want more consistency )

Not afraid of money , would rather touch but never seen Gateway up here in the Tundra .

And yes , heading back to Washington and Oregon this year , loved Oregon last summer . Would like to keep heading south to Cali this spring , and maybe east of Washington .

Thanks in advance , looking forward to the new season ! Haven't played since new years eve , going to the field !

If you're "not afraid of money," just get five of everything. :D Seriously though, Super Soft is probably a good start if you want something firm/rigid but still tacky to the touch. I'd suggest a pair of Super Soft, a pair of Super Stupid Soft, and a pair of RFF (Really Freakin' Flexible) if you like softer putters. If harder/more rigid is your preference, go with Super Soft, Chalky, and G9i. Send David an email explaining your situation, and you can get 5 for $40 or 10 for $70 shipping included via PayPal. Also, the above is true for Wizards, but you wont have G9i or Chalky option for Magics. Welcome to awesomeness.

Hey guys, I asked Dave about a old mold vs new mold rumor I heard and this is what he said,

"Thanks for the questions and your interest in our products.

Theres no old mold wizard and new mold, we have only made one tool.
there were 2 slight modifications of the original tool right off the bat but nothing that would make the disc taller or flatter.
The shapes of wizards ( well all discs once a tool is built ) are due to the runs, which are effected by a wide range of variables.

theres the polymers blended, the processing set up , which includes ( temp of barrels and temp of mold ( temp of shop) , speed of screw forward and back, pressure of screw forward and back, Clamp pressure ( including machine a disc is run on),,, hold time, humidity, color and so much more, but you get the point.

all of this can effect the way a disc is packed out,,, which effects the shape , surface complexion and flight ( all though the flight of putters is far less effected by these variables than with drivers.). just the look and feel.

if theres a certain disc shape and feel ou are looking for either take a picture of what you like and explain what you want and I can pribabaly get you a small stack of 5 10 that would be from the same exact run ( all wizards are from the same exact tool) people confuse mold with run a mold is a tool,, molding can be a run."

If you're "not afraid of money," just get five of everything. :D Seriously though, Super Soft is probably a good start if you want something firm/rigid but still tacky to the touch. I'd suggest a pair of Super Soft, a pair of Super Stupid Soft, and a pair of RFF (Really Freakin' Flexible) if you like softer putters. If harder/more rigid is your preference, go with Super Soft, Chalky, and G9i. Send David an email explaining your situation, and you can get 5 for $40 or 10 for $70 shipping included via PayPal. Also, the above is true for Wizards, but you wont have G9i or Chalky option for Magics. Welcome to awesomeness.

I think he said he was Canadian? If so, you have to pay a little extra for shipping, but the deal remain prerty good.

I threw Magics and Wizards for a while... an Evo Magic is a little less likely to fade compared to a soft depends on what shot you want. If I was gonna recommend a plastic I really like the material they use for the glow ones, fairly tacky a little soft, and fairly consistent between runs.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I asked Dave about a old mold vs new mold rumor I heard and this is what he said,

"Thanks for the questions and your interest in our products.

Theres no old mold wizard and new mold, we have only made one tool.
there were 2 slight modifications of the original tool right off the bat but nothing that would make the disc taller or flatter.
The shapes of wizards ( well all discs once a tool is built ) are due to the runs, which are effected by a wide range of variables.

theres the polymers blended, the processing set up , which includes ( temp of barrels and temp of mold ( temp of shop) , speed of screw forward and back, pressure of screw forward and back, Clamp pressure ( including machine a disc is run on),,, hold time, humidity, color and so much more, but you get the point.

all of this can effect the way a disc is packed out,,, which effects the shape , surface complexion and flight ( all though the flight of putters is far less effected by these variables than with drivers.). just the look and feel.

if theres a certain disc shape and feel ou are looking for either take a picture of what you like and explain what you want and I can pribabaly get you a small stack of 5 10 that would be from the same exact run ( all wizards are from the same exact tool) people confuse mold with run a mold is a tool,, molding can be a run."

When they changed to the large circle tooling or when they changed from the large circle to the small circle Dave said they made the flight plate slightly thicker so they wouldn't clover as much. Believe it or not some people were upset about wizards clovering. I think that was on the PDGA board around 2007 or so, I might try to find the quote.

This is Dave M. from February 2005, it's amazing what kind of stuff gets stuck in my brain. I was off by a coouple years ;)

most medium Wizards become much softer after playing and never get the thumb marks.
I know we had trouble making super soft without the dimples.
We've retooled the wizard flightplate about .005 thicker.
(Its still the thinnest of any putter out there by over .010)
The change is almost unnoticable by the eye or feel.
We ran some supersofts and friday and I put one to the test to see how well it wears in.
Results were pretty good for super soft.
I think the dips in the top will be a thing of the past.
Now the problem will be, players asking for the ones " with the dimples"

When they changed to the large circle tooling or when they changed from the large circle to the small circle Dave said they made the flight plate slightly thicker so they wouldn't clover as much. Believe it or not some people were upset about wizards clovering. I think that was on the PDGA board around 2007 or so, I might try to find the quote.

I would like to see that, from what Gateway told me, there has been no mold changes since some initial tweaks when they first originally released it.

Last edited:
Thanks

Worldwide , the stack will be smaller after I roll thru next Friday ! Was going to throw Burnaby , but I'll visit Abbie's and play those courses . Didn't notice Gateway when I was there last year .

Dan , im saving ur email and I'll send u a line once I've confirmed my tastes .

I was hoping to help out Discoutfitters clear out their inventory but I'm glad you guys spoke to me , thanks again !

On a side note , I was hoping to put up the disc golf video game poster in my local shop but I found out its closing at the end of the month :\

Point Roberts , Washington

I think he said he was Canadian? If so, you have to pay a little extra for shipping, but the deal remain prerty good.

Yeah , but I get my stuff shipped to Point Roberts and drive 2 blocks into the states to pick up . I only pay the provincial sales tax then . I bought a 4 bike rack for $635 and picked it up when the local shops wanted $1250 for the same one ! :clap:

just picked up my RFF warlock from the mail box
not as Flexible as i had hoped it would be
very disappointed
i guess i misunderstood how Flexible, RFF is :(

Rff should be really soft considering SSS putters are pretty squishy. Back when I first started throwing Wizards I ordered a couple mediums and a couple firms, the mediums were the stiffest plastic I have ever felt so you can imagine what the firms were like.
What sucks about Gateway putters is you have to buy in person or buy them from a person that can feel them for you and accurately convey to you what they feel like.

just picked up my RFF warlock from the mail box
not as Flexible as i had hoped it would be
very disappointed
i guess i misunderstood how Flexible, RFF is :(

Don't worry my friend, the RFF gets very flexible after a few wooded rounds, like a pancake!

Latest posts