• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wizard v. Ridge for distance putting.

wiz or ridge

• Total voters

apdrvya

Marketplace Guru
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
any opinions? I've been using the ridge for drive putting and distance putting, say >50feet or so. but I picked up a silky SS wizard this winter and was putting with it and liked it for distance...

i used to throw wizards but now i carry ridges :) i have not thrown a wizard in a while now. i just really love the the durability and grippieness of vibram . also carry 2 vp's

depends, vibrams are notoriously glideless (unless you're willing to put the work in break it in, give or take 6 months)

my ridges are my all around putt/approach/driving putter! so i'm biased.

but you can't go wrong with either seeing how popular the wizards are

For my long putts and upshots I actually use a Special Blend Pro Rhyno as opposed to my wizards. I'm talking 60+ out.

I can get some really good distance (glide) from my ridge and carve most lines I'm looking for... it's hard because I've thrown a hpp voodoo for so long and I love it, but the wizard I was throwing the other day was nice....
ugh, I don't know what to do now.

depends, vibrams are notoriously glideless

I'm in the Wizard camp on this one. much easier to loft and not leave short or long. Normal x-link, unless very broken in, likes to slide and skip on more compact surfaces. (they do handle grass well). Soft X-link probably solves that illness.

I shoulda clarified, I throw reg. xlink and yes, they do skip and slide A LOT>

oh i never meant you can't get D out of a ridge. i get awesome D out of mine, but it'll take a little more effort than a wizard

oh i never meant you can't get D out of a ridge. i get awesome D out of mine, but it'll take a little more effort than a wizard

gotcha... I don't mind the effort if the controllability is better...

I really like them both but I've been throwing my Ridge a lot more lately. I don't really use it for long putts but more for upshots. The R-Pro Dart is still my long putter. My X-Link Ridge and SSS Wizard are both killer approach/putters though. I think I prefer the shallow rim of the Ridge right now.

I voted Wizard, but IMO for long putts a beat up wizard is best. Going a few grams lighter than your driving putters is good too. A newer, more stable wizard will tend to tail off early on longer (35-70 foot) putts.

I currently use a 168 beat up (practically beadless) proto wizard for all putts, and keep a stable version in the bag for drives, does the trick.

Just a thought but the rubber in ridges will probably be the same in 5 years. One complaint I have heared from wizzard users is that its hard to find a few that are all similar, especially if it was from a year or two ago.

I voted Wizard, but IMO for long putts a beat up wizard is best. Going a few grams lighter than your driving putters is good too. A newer, more stable wizard will tend to tail off early on longer (35-70 foot) putts.

I currently use a 168 beat up (practically beadless) proto wizard for all putts, and keep a stable version in the bag for drives, does the trick.

Agree. I use 172-173g organic Wizards for 40' and in and a 170g Soft Wizard (beat) for 40'+ and jump putts.