• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard Vs. Voodoo

I have a S Wizard 172g and a S Voodoo 173g , I'm having a hard time deciding which one i should really stick with, The Wizard seems to be better close, but the voodoo seems better more medium range. The Wizard seems to feel better in the hand, with the little bead. Question is is there really a big difference in the 2, and it it hurting my putting throwing them both? Thanks again guys.

Yeah, there's a lot of overlap b/w those two. If you like the Wiz better up close and it feels better than I'd stick with it b/c it's a great driving putter too. I'd figure out which one better suits your putting style and stick with it.

I'd pick one if I were you. I tried both. Wizard is definitely more stable. Straightens out a little when it gets beat up. Voodoo is a little straighter when new. Less stable. Pick one and learn it. Both are good.

Why not keep both? I carry an understable/stable putter (APX swirl)for the majority of my putting and short upshots. Then I have an overstable putter (Wizard...sorry, bye bye Aviar). I use that on uber windy days, longer upshots or when I need some for sure hyzer out of my putter.
Granted, the way Gateway describes the two discs. They seem pretty close in stability, but when it comes to putters. IMO it's a very personal choice. If you want a little distance in your putters performances. Several people around here like the Wizard, Majic combo? Funny though, they like the Majic for close in, because it has a straighter flight and they go for the Wizard for driver/upshot duty. Due to it's stability.

IMO the Voodoo is a tad faster than the Wizard and has a touch more glide. Probably why it's suiting you better as a medium-long range putter.

Both below and above the "parting line" on the Voodoo is bullet shaped with a very very small bead. It's a little less stable than the Wizard

Wizards the better wind putter, but both, like others above have mentioned, overlap pretty well.

If you like the way a beat up Wizard flies -- get a Voodoo -- it'll fly that way right out of the box.

I've used both, A LOT, and I think they are some of the best approach discs out there.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat about a year ago, switched to a Voodoo only and got a real gummy HPP for driving and long approaches and never missed the wizard since.

Depending, I don't think it can hurt if you use multiple putters occasionally, but I'd try to find one that you use for the vast majority of your putting (Go with the Wiz). First, let me say that I have NO experience with a Warlock. I've got tons of Wizards, and love them. Great disc for many things. However, though I do use a Wizard for 95% of my putting. I do carry other putters. I carry a SSS Magic, as with it being more understable I do use it for certain shots where I feel it would work better than the Wizard. I also carry a Innova Hydra (go ahead and laugh), but I think it's an underrated disc. While I don't really use it as much for putting, it can be used for that and I will every once in a while. However, I think it does make a great approach disc as well, and has a good tacky feel.

i'd keep throwing both until you can decide on a clear favorite.

then when you pick a mold, you can buy a stack of em and take your putting to the next level

I have both and use 'em. The Voodoo is lighter weight and I use it for anny putts/approaches and downwind approaches too. The Wiz is my main putter and it comes out for all other putting/approaching duties.

The Wizard is a great approach disc for sure. Anything within 30' though and I'm going with my SSMagic. Much straighter putter for me. Pick you one up, and dont stop.

If if feels better in your hand and you're better with it close up, I'd go with the Wizard. I've used four different putters, and I just switched to Wizards because of this. Awesome feel, deadly accurate close, great driving putter. Still messing around with it outside the circle, but so far I'm thoroughly impressed.

Both!
I use Wizards (recently just HPP to retain stability) for driving, windier/glideless putts, short approaches I need to hold a hyzer on. (HPP/S/SS) Voodoo is my go-to if I'm going for chains (<50'), and anny or no-fade approaches.
Stick with one in the circle though - the consistency is more important than the actual disc.

Say what??

The Wizard is a great approach disc for sure. Anything within 30' though and I'm going with my SSMagic. Much straighter putter for me. Pick you one up, and dont stop.

Then how come you always throw an Omega??? Fraud!!!

I'm going to disagree with BroD on this one - they don't overlap.

Voodoo's are straight...dead straight. Wizards fade. Throw them back to back same shot, they won't do the same thing.

I don't see a problem having both. Putters off the tee for me are 95% Wiz 5% V, approaches are a mix, putting is 95% Voodoo 5% Wiz (hyzer putts around trees, etc.).

So then whats the difference between VooDoo and Warlock? Both described as beat in Wizards basically.

I'm a Wizard fan, I like the Warlock for what it is, never touched a VooDoo.

Voodoo's are straight...dead straight. Wizards fade. Throw them back to back same shot, they won't do the same thing.
This time last year I wouldn't bat an eyelash at this statement. I think it is pretty well documented at this point that the Wizards on the shelves today are not the Wizards of old. The predictable fade they were known for is gone. The current Wizard for me flies like a slower, shorter Voodoo. I've been going through new Wizards for the last year trying to find a back-up that will fly like my old Wizards. I'm getting pretty close to giving up.