• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to Harmony Bends 2020

I don't remember Sioux being that bad. I played both courses on a summer day while pushing a toddler in a jogging stroller (uphill both ways). Don't get me wrong, I was exhausted when I was done, but it wasn't the kind of exhausted that makes you question your decision making.

You're in luck! Only 4 minutes from the course!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Arbs.jpg
    Arbs.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 119
You're in luck! Only 4 minutes from the course!

attachment.php

Thanks man. Probably gonna need a beef and cheddar after tackling Harmony Bends. Maybe even 2. Feel free to follow this thread. You can map out my whole trip if you'd like. ;)

I'm leaning towards KC over St. Louis now after browsing the maps for a few weeks. Water Works seems like a must play on this trip. I'm also thinking Bad Rock Creek, William Jewell DGC, Rosedale Top and Down Under and Shawnee Mission Park.

Might take a trip from KC down to Emporia for a day for Peter Pan and the Jones courses. Not sure about that yet though.

I was wondering If anyone knew the standing of the Paradise Pointe courses? There's 3 listed onsite but I was wondering if these would be worth a day to play? They seemed intriguing.

Thanks man. Probably gonna need a beef and cheddar after tackling Harmony Bends. Maybe even 2. Feel free to follow this thread. You can map out my whole trip if you'd like. ;)
Shakespeare's West is right by that Arby's; as a Mizzou graduate I can't let a recommendation for Shakespeare's go unspoken.

I'm leaning towards KC over St. Louis now after browsing the maps for a few weeks. Water Works seems like a must play on this trip. I'm also thinking Bad Rock Creek, William Jewell DGC, Rosedale Top and Down Under and Shawnee Mission Park.

Might take a trip from KC down to Emporia for a day for Peter Pan and the Jones courses. Not sure about that yet though.

I was wondering If anyone knew the standing of the Paradise Pointe courses? There's 3 listed onsite but I was wondering if these would be worth a day to play? They seemed intriguing.
Even though I'm a St. L guy, Water Works is still my favorite course. It's the best par 3 course I've ever played and it still stacks up pretty well today. For somebody making a trip that can hit either/or it's probably the call to make.

Just wondering why it's either/or, though. You could loop it down one way and back the other and hit both since by the time you were in Columbia you are halfway to both.

Shakespeare's West is right by that Arby's; as a Mizzou graduate I can't let a recommendation for Shakespeare's go unspoken.

Even though I'm a St. L guy, Water Works is still my favorite course. It's the best par 3 course I've ever played and it still stacks up pretty well today. For somebody making a trip that can hit either/or it's probably the call to make.

Just wondering why it's either/or, though. You could loop it down one way and back the other and hit both since by the time you were in Columbia you are halfway to both.

I was thinking about doing both St Louis and KC. It kind of depends how many days I'll have. I was thinking 8 days, hopefully. If I have 8 or even 9 then I will for sure. Water Works was kind of the deal breaker between the 2. I was thinking of spending a day in Emporia too. What's your best of in St Louis?

Also what's Shakespeare's?

Wherever the LAKERS are playing...

That went over my head, but I googled it anyhow.

Either way I want to thank you for getting me into DGCR, Reviewing specifically. I read your reviews (and a few others like MushinNoShin, Harr0140, and even Jukeshoe I think) when I started playing and reviewing. You guided me through mid to east central WI when I started out. You're a legend in my mind. So go Lakers I guess :thmbup:

Lol, Lakers are old-school most-fun-wins frolfers. They are a hoot.

The St. Louis issue is that Carrollton, Sioux Passage, Jefferson Barracks, Logan, Woodland, Endicott, Wilmore, Quail Ridge, Konarcik, Rock Spring, etc. are all very good courses. None of them are great so nothing stands out as the "must play." A lot of very good courses but no great course makes planning where you are going a bit of a crapshoot. Until you play them all, it's hard to know what your favorites are going to be. Any combo is going to be a good day of golf, though. New Melle to me is vastly overrated but it's got potential and still being worked on, but it's way out West.

Foundation Park is the best in the area, but it's so far East that it's debatable that it's even in the area. It's so isolated that for me it's a one course trip to play it, and that's a bummer when you are course bagging. It's THE one, though. If you were going the St. Louis way and wanted to play THE course you have to figure out how to get to Foundation Park. Foundation Park is not an ace in the hole, though. The rough can get out of control and the long tees are not concrete yet. The signage is meh and there are long, golfless wanderings in the design. To recommend it, you have to tell somebody to drive out to the middle of nowhere to play a course that has some negatives that might make you hate it. So even talking about the best course in the area is messy; it's a lot safer to recommend Sioux Passage or Carrollton.

So there you go, clear as mud.

Also what's Shakespeare's?
Shakespeare's is a pizza joint downtown just N of campus that we used to go to all the time. When I go back to Columbia I always try to force whoever I'm with to go there. They have a location out by Strawn Park now. For me being in the place magically makes me feel 19 again; it may not do the same for you. :|

Well I love pizza so I'll check it out for sure.

The Kansas side of KC has put in 2 more courses you may want to check out... Cedar Ridge and Big Bull Creek. Also I think you might want to check out Wyco and Birdland in addition to the other courses you mentioned on the KS side. Moreover a short trip west to Lawrence would yield Centennial Park and Longview DGC which seems to be a favorite amongst many.

As far as the KCMO side goes I would also think about Cliff Drive and Blue Valley and add those to the courses you mentioned...however both are located in the hood. Also one could spent a day at Paradise Point as you questioned and have an enjoyable time depending on the turf maintenance when playing during the summer months. I believe Paradise Point can be considered a championship destination.

If you hit Des Moines I would think about Ewing, Pickard, and Maytag Park 20mi east in Newton... all three are big favorites of mine in Iowa.

I hope the weather is good for your road trip... because I believe the courses here in the KC metro will not disappoint... best of luck on the road trip.

So any of you St. Louis guys have any updates on the courses over there. I'll be heading down and playing Foundation and something in STL while on my way to Harmony Bends for a couple days. Then back to STL for a few days and some of the top rated ones before heading home. Is everything open, just some? This will be the second week in July.

See you made Harmony Bends... where you heading next?

Just played Albert Oakland upper. About to play Lower now. Played both Indian Foothills courses yesterday too.

Headed to St. Louis tomorrow for 2 nights. I'm thinking Quail Ridge, both Sioux Passage courses and then just kind of wing it. Davenport IA the day after for Camden I and II and whatever else I find on the way home. Great trip so far. Lots of awesome courses. Played the 2 Foundation courses in Centralia a couple days ago and Forsyth park which were all excellent.

West Lake in the Quad Cities is a fun one.... if you've still got some frisbees to spare!

West Lake in the Quad Cities is a fun one.... if you've still got some frisbees to spare!

I've had my eyes on that one since last year when I was there. That's what I'm worried about though, I've seen a couple tournaments there. I definitely have to play the Camden pair. I literally pulled into the lot last year and it started storming SUPER bad. I'm getting them this year lol.

I am envious, can't go wrong either way!

Just played a dumb 6 holer half in a dog park, literally. Then the Holten course, which is awesome. Headed to New Melle and then Quail Ridge now. Perfect weather today.