• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Women Playing Tournaments

Camgolfer

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I had a situation with an angry person and our web registration for our tournament.

We listed out divisions as, Advanced/Pro, Intermediate, Beginner, and Women.

Does having a separate division for women alienate women or encourage women to come and play. The person in question was very offended that we had separate divisions. Most of the PDGA events I have seen offer men's and women's groups. We listed that women do not have to play in the Women's division, but so far all the women signed up are in that division. Not sure if I should worry about it or just ignore it and keep things the way they are.

you're always going to have somebody with a stick up their ... well, you know. As long as women are allowed to play in any of the divisions you are doing nothing wrong. And I tend to agree that having a women only division encourages more new females to play as they should feel less pressure amongst other females.

I would not be offended at all, and if and when I ever do play in a tournament, there is no way I'm playing against dudes. Fact of the matter is I cannot throw drives nearly as far as 90% of the guys I've seen play, and I probably never will be able to. Therefore I would get my a$$ beat in a men's division. I can accept that. At least playing against other women would give me a glimmer of hope that I could win!

I am not offended either although I don't believe I would play in the womens division. I would probably go for the beginner or even intermediate based on how well I play against the people I play with. I seem to keep up pretty well with most of them and do want it to be competitive.

Does having a separate division for women alienate women or encourage women to come and play.
Encourages.

You'd lose a lot more Women players if you forced them to play in combined divisions.

So basically I should not worry about one woman who is upset that we separated women. I never thought it was a matter of equal rights....

Its best if women stay off courses. tHEY THROW like girls. Dg is a guys game. I want dinner ready when I I get home. And the laundry done. And the kids asleep. Its the 21st century....women should have learned how to behave by now. Men rule.

Its best if women stay off courses. tHEY THROW like girls. Dg is a guys game. I want dinner ready when I I get home. And the laundry done. And the kids asleep. Its the 21st century....women should have learned how to behave by now. Men rule.

Says the unmarried man... :rolleyes:

BTW - You are being sarcastic right?

So basically I should not worry about one woman who is upset that we separated women. I never thought it was a matter of equal rights....

heck no. If you've told her that she and all women are free to play in any division and she still wants to kick and scream about a women's division, politely tell her to bug off. Like I said earlier, anytime you try and organize an event you're going to have at least one person who nothing you do pleases.

Thats why no one around here locally likes to run things. Take best-shot for example, we had 19 people on monday (paid out first at 40 dollars and only paid out 3 spots.) Now Tuesday we had over 30 people, first place took 45 but we paid out 6 spots. Well one of the old "club guys" (our club is no longer around) raised hell about how first place gets the same amount of money whether it be 19 people or 30 people...some people just want the money and have lost the love of the game....

:D What a fun thread! In my own little world, if she wanted to play in the men's division, by all means let her. Just let her know that the division you set up was for the ladies that wanted to partake.

We have women playing in ALL our local tourney's. So much interest developed that they started a Women Only League. Great to see the ladies out there throwing and not just tagging along.

Is she upset that there is just one women's division? If so, just tell her that the women's divisions will be be finalized pending the turnout.

If she is upset that there is just a "womens division" I don't know what to tell you - tourney's have womens divisions... yours isn't the only one.

P.S. in the future you may want to have a division called "open" for the pros/advanced players, as that implies that all are welcome.

Latest posts