• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Driver Ever

Wosrt disc ever

• Total voters

ptsawyer

Worst disc and why

There have been a lot of threads about what disc is the best and why, so lets go the other way and talk about discs we hate. Should be fun....

I'll pose two different questions, feel free to talk about either:

What is the worst disc you have ever thrown, and why?
(for me, the quest raging inferno. It just feels like cheap junk when you pick it up)

What is the most overrated disc and why?

(im going to stir up crap with this one, but I would say the Discraft Buzzz. Its a great midrange, but I dont see how it is signifcantly better than other midranges out there, like the Roc or the Shark. Whats the big deal?)

Just about everything I've ever bought from Quest turned out to be junk.

Overrated.... The Wraith, I think its overrated, still good but not the greatest thing ever.

Golf discs are like children. It's ok to point out the things that make each one special. It is never ok to say one is worthless. They all have their place.

That being said, I played with some newbies the other day and they were using Whamo discgolf discs they had bought at Walmart for 4 bucks each. I let one play with my beast and he let me throw his Whamo. It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever thrown. Very understable and the plastic was very hard. It felt like one of those old melamine plates from the '70s.

Last edited:
Golf discs are like children. It's ok to point out the things that make each one special. It is never ok to say one is worthless. They all have their place.

That being said, I played with some newbies the other day and they were using Whamo discgolf discs they had bought at Walmart for 4 bucks each. I let one play with my beast and he let me throw his Whamo. It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever thrown. Very understable and the plastic was very hard. It felt like one of those old melamine plates from the '70s.

Sounds like they'd be better off playing with plain frisbees.

i have a wham-o S driver. yes it is made out of a very hard plastic. i'm sure if i hit a tree with it many times at all it would lose it's shape. but i've got to say. if i throw it right, it flies farther than anything else i have. i don't throw it very often because i tend to anhyzer it even when i don't want it to.

every disc has it's place.

my beef wouldn't be with a specific mold of disc. mine is more of a dislike of a type of plastic. i can't stand any disc in the clearish colored champion plastic. once they've gone through a heat cycle or two (being heated up on a real hot day then being put back in a car) the tops or domes seem to get so soft that i can gently push on them and they flex. i had a couple at one time and they permanently lost there shape just from resting in the bag with other discs. i gave them away and haven't gotten any since. i'm sure others will disagree. i've got dx, kc pro, and star plastic and they all seem fine. i only notice this with champion plastic.

My champion plastic discs are pretty soft on top, but they haven't gotten deformed, even after sitting in a hot car for weeks on end. Now that you say that, though, it makes me want to take better care of them. :(

I started out with the Wham-O's (TurnOver, S-Driver, Mid-Range, and Putter). They would get eaten up quick unless they landed on grass softer than a down comforter! The S-Driver was nice, until I winged if off a tree and it landed in a backyard.

The putter got frustrating for me, as any miss turned into a roll that invariably stopped twice as far from the basket as my original throw.

Needless to say, it's out of my bag, and I'm pretty happy with everything in my bag right now. Everything has a purpose and a place.

Worst disc I've ever thrown -- Wham-O TurnOver -- you get that thing just a bit off level, and it's going to land 4 counties over! Very unforgiving design.

Very understable and the plastic was very hard. It felt like one of those old melamine plates from the '70s.

exactly! Wham-O discs have to be the junkiest discs. I bought a set on clearance at Dicks SG and they were absolutely worthless. They flew unpredictably and were verry unforgiving.

I'm also curious ... has anyone else had the problem with deforming champion plastic? ... I leave my discs in the car periodically and I havent had any problems with my champ discs deforming ...

... has anyone else had the problem with deforming champion plastic? ... I leave my discs in the car periodically and I havent had any problems with my champ discs deforming ...

I've had a bag full of Champions in my trunk in the Texas heat all summer. This year we broke a record for the most days over 100 degrees. During that time I have thrown all the discs at least every other day and have not noticed any difference in their shape or flight characteristics from spring to fall.

I have seen some used Champion discs at Play it again sports that look like the domes are permenantly collapsed. I'm not sure what from but I can tell you that three months in a bag in a trunk at 100 degrees won't do it.

The wheel is pretty weak. I haven't played with it but the idea of throwing something that rolls without using any skill seems stupid. I might as well get a rubber ball, put a discraft logo on it and act like it is legit.

This far down in the thread and no mention of the Aerobie Epic?

Had this thing for a week and the most inconsistent POS ever. Gave it to a friend, who threw one good drive with it. He also hasn't touched it since.

This far down in the thread and no mention of the Aerobie Epic?

Had this thing for a week and the most inconsistent POS ever. Gave it to a friend, who threw one good drive with it. He also hasn't touched it since.

That was my first thought but I thought it was too easy. Sorta like picking on the dumb kid. Everyone knows it but you try not to talk about it.

Many will say the Epic is a good max distance overhand disc but I would give up the extra 60 feet to know where my disc is going to land then bounce then hop.

I also think that the plastic of the Epic Tur-bull. I cannot imagine it would hold up for someone using it as a driver.

I have never played with them, but I would assume that that the Aerobie Sharp Shooter series are bad news. At the very least, they look like crap.

I personally can't appreciate (I don't have the arm power) what a Aerobie Epic does for your thumber and tomahawk drive as far as distance. But I have seen guys who can and have heard the stories. So there is some practicality to the Epic (being a great overhand driver and adding distance that a Firebird/Predator etc. didn't give you). Also the Wheel worked kinda, well worked as a roller approach but that's it. Just not very practical in my opinion.
But I would have to say the worse disc I have ever played with is a tie between the DGA Blowfly or the Quest 10 meter Brick. Both were way too flimsy for me to putt with comfortably and that flimsy seemed to hurt both of them when trying to get into the basket. The chains would seem to repulse the putters and barely move. They both rolled surprisingly well for being that limp (always away from the basket). I have known people who swear by the Blowfly so may be it's just me.
Now maybe both discs I used were just really flimsy because I have seen 10 meter bricks that were much stiffer.
Runner up would have to be the Wildfire from Quest. I love and support anybody not named INNOVA but the Quests Wildfire was weird. It's a overstable mid range that looks like a 1950's flying saucer. It had a huge center dome that you could be push down like a big button and make the damn thing super overstable to the point it would fade really hard and land on it's side. It really never worked for me but maybe somebody.

I
But I would have to say the worse disc I have ever played with is a tie between the DGA Blowfly or the Quest 10 meter Brick.

the 10 meter brick is one of the purposed discs. If anyone has ever thrown a 30 foot over handed shot you know that it has to go very high to lay flat so not roll. This is not the case if you use the brick. It lays down very fast and will not roll past the target after hitting the ground. It is actually a great get out of trouble thumber disc at short distances and very accurate. It also a good understable putter if you are a lob putter for hills where you cannot afford a roll if you miss.

I have never played with them, but I would assume that that the Aerobie Sharp Shooter series are bad news. At the very least, they look like crap.
Today 09:18 PM

After throwing the epic for a while I would have said the same thing, but I bought the whole sharpshooter set when I was a new player because they float. They are very overstable for me backhand, but forehand is another story. For whatever reason I can forehand these discs better than any other disc I have. They are as consistent a disc as there is out there. My only complaint is the color, it is tough to find them in the woods.

I would have said that my worst disc was the whamo long range driver I found on a course a few years ago. I don't think it was lost on the course, I think the owner just decided enough was enough. They are pieces o' crap and very understable, but I did learn to throw it hyzer flip style. It still wasn't a good disc but at least I knew what it was going to do.

Which leads me to my vote: Aerobie Epic. while my longest throw ever is with this disc, it is as unpredictable as an election in Florida:eek: One throw will be fine and the next flip over into a roller and take off straight left, and the throw after that one will be overstable. Anyway I don't carry the thing anymore. I tried to lose it once and the one time I get a call back on a lost disc was this curse finding its way back to me.

Latest posts