• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst fake rules ever invented

Dear dgcoursereview, could you please add a "thanks" icon to your post options. I'd like to one click "thanks" to a couple of the funniest posts I've ever read. Sure had to wade through several pages of off topic idiocy to see them though.

I really don't get the practice throw rule. I understand it if you're throwing at the basket or you take a second tee shot or up shot because or you miss your put and throw another disc at the basket. That's a practice throw. I just don't think it's in the spirit of competition to call a practice throw on someone who picks up a disc after marking its location and tosses it at their bag thats a couple feet away. That's not a practice throw that's me putting my disc next to my bag. In fact if I do that it's usually with my left hand and I'm a right handed player.

What advantage do I gain by doing that?

To me it's along the same lines of being stroked for pulling a few blades of grass to get an idea about how the wind is blowing. Ok fine it's "destruction of the course" but c'mon man.

I really don't get the practice throw rule. I understand it if you're throwing at the basket or you take a second tee shot or up shot because or you miss your put and throw another disc at the basket. That's a practice throw. I just don't think it's in the spirit of competition to call a practice throw on someone who picks up a disc after marking its location and tosses it at their bag thats a couple feet away. That's not a practice throw that's me putting my disc next to my bag. In fact if I do that it's usually with my left hand and I'm a right handed player.

What advantage do I gain by doing that?

To me it's along the same lines of being stroked for pulling a few blades of grass to get an idea about how the wind is blowing. Ok fine it's "destruction of the course" but c'mon man.

Its to get rid of any questionable calls. do you really need to throw it at your bag? can you not throw your shot. pick up the previous disc and walk it to your bag. do you see ball golfers marking their ball on the green and then putting it back to their caddy??

If you are standing in the rough at your lie and toss a disc back to your bag in the fairway, were you tossing a disc to your bag or were you tossing out of the rough? That's one of the reasons for practice throw (though if you were at your lie it would be a competitive throw and not a practice throw and you should throw your next shot from the disc you tossed to your bag.)

People always try to make things more difficult than they are.

Throw the disc within 2 meters of where you are to get it out of your way and no problem.
If your bag is within 2 meters, throw it there. If it isn't throw it on the ground within 2 meters of where you're standing then pick it up after you make your shot. No rule violation.

I know it isn't relevant now but was it ever a rule that you had to pull a disc wedged in the side of the basket through to make it count?

I know it isn't relevant now but was it ever a rule that you had to pull a disc wedged in the side of the basket through to make it count?

Not that I know of but I do remember everyone doing that "just in case".

Is taking a piss in the woods during your turn an offense given that you complete a legal throw in the alloted time frame? Cuz ive been told it was a penelty and it wasnt courtesy related, they were simply upset that i waited til my turn to unleash that fury that had been building up for 4 holes and they had to "wait" on me. But in reality they were obligated to "wait" for that 30 secs or w/e anyway and before you ask, it was a 2 ft drop in putt and was during a pdga round.

Chucky can i get uhroolin?

Last edited:

You never had to pull it through but there was definitely some discussion on whether or not you had to pull it out before it fell out to make it count. Basically had to do with the definition of "at rest." Made for some interesting hurried jogs after wedgie aces.

Is taking a piss in the woods during your turn an offense given that you complete a legal throw in the alloted time frame? Cuz ive been told it was a penelty and it wasnt courtesy related, they were simply upset that i waited til my turn to unleash that fury that had been building up for 4 holes and they had to "wait" on me. But in reality they were obligated to "wait" for that 30 secs or w/e anyway and before you ask, it was a 2 ft drop in putt and was during a pdga round.

just dont piss on my bag or discs and I wont call you on it. pretty sure pissing in the woods is frowned upon. :\

Crazy scenario ... last weekend I threw IB right on the edge of an OB ravine. Place my marker, picked up the disc, turned around, tripped on a root, fell on my *ss, dropped the disc which then rolled more than 2 meters into the OB ravine.

The rules tell me that was a practice throw and a one-stroke penalty, but not two strokes for practice throw and OB. Additional penalties included embarassment and a sore *ss.

Unintentional for sure, but "unintentional" is covered in the rules. I'll take the stroke if my card mates want to enforce it.

Crazy scenario ... last weekend I threw IB right on the edge of an OB ravine. Place my marker, picked up the disc, turned around, tripped on a root, fell on my *ss, dropped the disc which then rolled more than 2 meters into the OB ravine.

The rules tell me that was a practice throw and a one-stroke penalty, but not two strokes for practice throw and OB. Additional penalties included embarassment and a sore *ss.

Unintentional for sure, but "unintentional" is covered in the rules. I'll take the stroke if my card mates want to enforce it.

If your card mates wanted to stroke you for falling on your ass, they are a-holes.

People always try to make things more difficult than they are.

Throw the disc within 2 meters of where you are to get it out of your way and no problem.
If your bag is within 2 meters, throw it there. If it isn't throw it on the ground within 2 meters of where you're standing then pick it up after you make your shot. No rule violation.

The metric system of all of this is cornfusing me.

"3.3 Player Misconduct
A. The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior and comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA.

B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:

(7) Activities which are in violation of Federal, State or Local laws or ordinances, park regulation or disc golf course rule. Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning of disqualification may be issued by a director where appropriate."

I know of a tourney where they are very strict on this. At the players meeting the park ranger announces that if he sees anyone urinating in the woods they will be asked to leave the park and the TD backs it up by saying the person caught peeing will be DQ'd. Everyone still does it though, they just go deeper into the woods.

"3.3 Player Misconduct
A. The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior and comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA.

B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:

(7) Activities which are in violation of Federal, State or Local laws or ordinances, park regulation or disc golf course rule. Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning of disqualification may be issued by a director where appropriate."

I know of a tourney where they are very strict on this. At the players meeting the park ranger announces that if he sees anyone urinating in the woods they will be asked to leave the park and the TD backs it up by saying the person caught peeing will be DQ'd. Everyone still does it though, they just go deeper into the woods.

I can see it being enforced if there are several bathrooms located around the course. But what if the course goes out from the parking lot and doesn't loop back until you are back at hole #1? If you are on hole 9 and have an emergency your options are either be DQ'd or have several strokes added to your score because there is nothing in the rule book that would allow the extra time needed to walk a 1 mile to the bathroom and back.

If you got DQ'd at least you would know who's bag to pee in :D.

Last edited:
I can see it being enforced if there are several bathrooms located around the course.

Bingo. Said course has porta potties out the ying yang. Not sure why they're so worried about a few guys peeing in the woods. Maybe they had one person complain that they saw a wiener.