• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you have said something?

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
As I was leaving a course yesterday with my friend, we saw a father and a young boy walking up with two "Frisbees" in their hands. They guy asked " What are the rules for Frisbee Golf?" I gave him a quick over view of the rules and told him where to find the first tee. He thanked us, and we walked to the car.

My friend , who is still a newbie asked me" Did you see they had Frisbees? Why didn't you say something?" I told him, that I was ready to go, and I didn't think the guy would listen, and he looked like he just wanted to hang out with his son, and I just wasn't in the mood to tell this guy he was useing the wrong equipment. Sometimes if I don't think it will make a difference, I don't bother saying anything. I used too, but I get tired of the deer in headlights look.

Should I have said something to the guy, or did I do the right thing by being polite and just keep walking? Just wondering.

It would involve two issues.

1) Would you have spoiled their time together if you said "you are using the wrong kind of frisbee" and then began a talk about the proper equipment? They probably would have felt foolish and left.

2) If a person is tired and not in the mood for unwanted conversation then what kind of ambassador for the game would you have been? It is hard to not become irritated when we are tired and you may have put them off. Spoiling what may become a convert to the game.

Both of these are just supposition, and I could go in a different direction, but you were the one there and it was your call. I would not worry about it and boogie on.

Besides if you see them there again maybe you will have a new DG pupil and friend to play a round with.

You could have told him that he was using the correct equipment for beginners and even advanced players (Super Class discs) so they have success right away.

It would involve two issues.

1) Would you have spoiled their time together if you said "you are using the wrong kind of Frisbee" and then began a talk about the proper equipment? They probably would have felt foolish and left.

That is one thing I was worried about, so that is why I kept quiet. I also figured that maybe they would run into some others on the course and notice their discs were a little different and maybe ask some questions.

If they care at all after playing that first time, they will have noticed that everyone else on the course was using something different and asked about it, since clearly they aren't afraid of asking questions. If they had fun playing with those, I see no problem with it. Someone else may have mentioned it anyway. I don't think I'd have made a point of it.

I have seen people bring whammos to a course before. I don't think I would have said anything because it's all about having fun.

I'm gonna bring a regular frisbee to the course sometime and try a round...not sure how far I will get but it'll be interesting!

You could have told him that he was using the correct equipment for beginners and even advanced players (Super Class discs) so they have success right away.

I was thinking that same thing :) I started with an ultimate lid, and now 9 years later I've got a tourney bag full of the "right" plastic. I still enjoy a superclass though.

I've seen people like that out on the course. It's normally a Dad with a kid or two and they all have ultimate disc. They always seem like they are having a good time even though they are throwing on 350ft holes with maybe 30ft shots all the way down the fairway. So I think you were fine in not saying anything. However if you had your bag and disc with you I would think they would see it and think "Hmm... Looks easier with those"

I don't see this as a right or wrong situation. If you say nothing they will figure out shortly they don't work well for disc golf. I usually give the heads up and tell them where to get the right equipment here in town, but I think its a courtesy not a moral obligation or anything.

i try to carry a donor disc or two in my bag to resolve this exact situation before it starts.

It doesn't seem like the father was playing the game to learn about it per se, but more to spend time with his son. I don't think you did anything wrong.

Faced with the situation again you could simply say that while the frisbee he had would work fine if he was really interested in pursuing the sport that there are certain discs that are made specifically for disc golf and then show him some examples.

Like other people have said, I don't think you were in the wrong. If there are others on the course and he sees them, I think he will start to notice people bombing 300' with these smaller discs and get the idea. There's also this thing called the internet if the guy has any interest in disc golf after playing with his son and wants to find out more.

The guy might have been a little disheartened or even embarrassed if you told him he was ill-equipped in front of his son.

Also, it's not like the guy is trying to participate in a PDGA tourney.

no right or wrong here but dig tip bout just getting out there to have fun with family. no need to make him look foolish at least he was getting out there. seen tons of people throw ultimate discs to start off but they get the picture when the see some big throws...or they think you are amazing at throwing large discs. lol

Completely 100% right thing to do! Like someone said "If he is interested, he will look into it more" I also like the idea of a "donor disc". For the Dad and his son, that is awesome, and Kudos to the Dad! As for Midnight Biker... Sometimes we have to prioritize our stomach acid, I would have done the same! I'm sure they had a great time!

If I was at Pebble Beach and some dude had Toys R Us golf clubs I probably wouldn't say anything.

I did see a kid at the disc course and he threw a frisbee towards the basket and the wind literally blew it straight back at him!

Negative yardage.

OK, well I guess I did OK. My friend just caught me off guard when he asked me the question.

I guess that when I was younger I had a "Save the World" complex, and I thought I could right every wrong I saw, and I realized that I should just go about my own business, and as long as nobody is getting hurt, or put down, I am not going to step in or get involved.

I try to be more of a Humble guy and think that my way is not always the best. When I saw the guy, I took in the situation in about 10 seconds that this guy just wanted to spend time with his son, and I figured I shouldn't interfere.

My Too Sense...

yeah, i know, my two cents....

Well, since the guy asked you about the rules, I think a quick explanation about the equipment would have been apropos. But, I wouldn't say you were wrong by not either....

When you are playing recreationally, I think there are only 3 important rules:
1. Respect the course
2. Respect the other golfers
3. Have fun

I don't care if yer throwing a $200 disc, a Whammo or an old leather shoe...if yer following the 3 rules above...have at it!

I share those 3 rules with any nube's I meet, and EVERYONE so far has.

To sum up this rambling answer: You weren't wrong by not saying anything, but a simple "in the future, you may want to try throwing something like this..." would not have been out of line.

I agree 100% with how you handled it. It probably wouldn't have been a big deal if you had said more, but I think leaving it up to him was correct. IIRC, most lids are PDGA approved (or would be if they were to be submitted), so he wasn't really using "wrong" equipment, anyway.

Actually, I would have given them some of my old but decent DX or Pro D plastic (or the stuff I find with no names on it). My trunk of either car is always loaded with excess discs (but the stuff in my bag has stood the test of time and deserves its spot in there).