• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would You Play in a Fundraising Tournament For a New Course

Would You Play in a Trophy Only Tournament For a New Course?

• Yes

Votes: 68 97.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

DSmith

Eagle Member
If a trophy only tournament was being held to generate funds to build a new course in your town would you attend?

Some numbers

Lets say the entry fee is $30 for all divisions and the tournament is held on the new course location using 9 temporary baskets (round 1 front /round 2 back)

If the field size is at 45 you generate enough funds for 4.5 baskets at $300 a piece.
Running 4 of these tournaments will generate enough cash for a full 18 holes.

Oh yea forgot after 2 x 45 person tournaments you can put in 9 holes and use the other 9 temp baskets to increase your field by 90 tops. Which after the 3rd tournament you have enough for the last 9 baskets and after the fourth you have a good chunk of cash for Teepads/signs.

i would definitely play in a tournament to raise funds for a new course...and in most tournaments, most of the proceeds go to local charities anyway...so its always for a good cause...why not build a new course, and have more tournaments to raise even more food or money for a charity...

I would do it but...

Getting 45 people to invest the time and gas money to show up, pay $30, and get nothing but good vibes for their efforts is another matter, especially when you have to do it four times. An 18 hole course off the bat will draw a much bigger crowd than a niner will. They will also be more enthusiastic about showing up if they know the course is going to have good amenities and will encompass multiple skill levels. This means tee pads and signs. You also would have to pick good weekends that don't have conflicts with other tournaments your attendees can go to can come home with cash or merchandise.

With that in mind, its going to likely cost more than $300/basket, so you might need 5 or more tournaments to get the expenses covered.

I would do it. My town has 1 course in it if you want to call it that so, if it would be for a good course I would be in.

Holding a tournament to make money to pay for baskets is a great idea, but if I am paying for a tournament, I at least want to leave with a stamped disc as a souvenir. I would be willing to pay $10 or $20 dollars more for entry as well. just my opinion...

Last edited:
Yep! anything to promote the sport of disc golf is good especially if the new course is going to be in my area.

i say yes but i wouldnt pay more than $15 bucks, if your only gonna give away trophies get people to donate them to cut costs and give away #1 trophies for all divisions , but i dont think too many will pay 20+ dollareenos, JMO.

if your gonna charge 20+ see if you cant get some tourney players to donate some new discs they arent using to give away as well , the amateurs are sure to have some molds they dont use. Also some cheap homemade tags with their finish positions would be a nice touch, i think a tag tourney would get more support anyway.

Last edited:
Tournment fundraisers are a great way to raise $$$. It's also cool because you can set up temp baskets and play the course you're raisin funds for.

We did 2 fundraiser tourneys prior to installing our 36 holes here in bakersfield. we charged $20 and payed out $10 keeping a $10 donation for each player. We also had graet raffles and sell $2 mulligan/raffle tickets for the tourny. Also BBQ sale is another way to raise $$ during a fundraiser.

Good luck

Yes on the stipulation that the TD and club be respectable and not throw a kegger with my money with no intention of putting it to a course.

I like the idea of this as we still want to put a course in.

What about $30 with $15 going to player awards and $15 back to the course? Would that be too much, or is the $20 10/10 split better?

How about buying some discraft misprints for prizes, hit up local businesses for cheap or free gift cards etc etc so you still have stuff for prizes but it doesn't cut into the fundraiser.

I mean, you want to have a course eventually, you cannot cut too much from it.

Sounds like a good idea,I'd play! Most parks departments Are non-profit. See If they will allow "branding" (sponorships from local businesses) on the tee signs and baskets that's a way you can raise money for a new course. A ONE TIME FEE,say $1000.00 (that will cover the basket,tee signs,concrete tees) made to the parks dept.,and earmarked for the course,In return the business can get a tax deductable donation AND get a couple of decades of advertising! With no additional yearly fees!