• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you rather play a tournament with tone poles or portable baskets?

Would you rather play a tournament with tone poles or portable baskets?

• Total voters

aardvarkious

Birdie Member
I will be hosting a tournament on a temporary course.

We were going to make tone poles consisting of wooden stakes and stove pipe. However, I recently got a few schools to buy portable baskets and think I can scrounge 18 of them. All of them would be Innova Travellers (the new kind with 12 chains which catch better than the old kind with 4 chains and fabric mesh). So, what would you rather play on?

I would rather play on a basket than just a pole. The sound of plastic hitting chains is a big plus for me. If I am deprived of that sound, the game isn't as fun.

Having never had the pleasure of playing tone poles, I'd be psyched to try them out. I may be unusual in that regard. Keep in mind that, with tone poles, it will be more difficult to determine hole out on a long blind ace run, leading to increased need for spotters.

Personally, I think it would be easier to get portable baskets than make tone poles. I took 6 of my baskets to such a tournament earlier this year. Another player brought a similar number of baskets. And these were metal baskets with chains. In all, 18 holes were easily achieved with surplus baskets sitting around, none with canvas or netting.

does anyone really think a pole without a basket is a viable option? its like hitting the square on the basketball backboard, doeeesnt always go in for real

tone poles are not the same. think of how many shots hit chains and did not go in, or perfect shots into the center that spit out. For a tone pole there is no catching. Also from a far distance there could be a question if you go on ace or not.

For me, When I play courses with tone poles, its almost a guarantee that I add an extra stroke to each hole because of it. Putts that would be in on any basket because of the chains will instead fly an inch away from the pole and go right past it. Tone poles are fun:)

I like playing Tone Poles. I think it's an interesting way to play the game. Sometimes, I just get tired of throwing at a basket and like to go back to target golf. Now, if you could get baskets like that have at Lake Stevens in WA, that'd be the best :)

For me, When I play courses with tone poles, its almost a guarantee that I add an extra stroke to each hole because of it. Putts that would be in on any basket because of the chains will instead fly an inch away from the pole and go right past it. Tone poles are fun:)

Not all tone poles are 2 inches around. Some are as big as a 5 gallon bucket.
I always shoot better on tone poles because I will hit the top or bottom, which would have been way to high or too low.

Tone poles. It would be a fun change of pace. And the people that dont like it, wont come, and they are the ones u probably dont want there anyways.

Good luck with your tourney!

Not all tone poles are 2 inches around. Some are as big as a 5 gallon bucket.
I always shoot better on tone poles because I will hit the top or bottom, which would have been way to high or too low.

I have never seen a bucket tone pole but I could see that working pretty well, I'll have to look into that. I'm thinking about putting tone poles out in my backyard so that the course can be somewhat permanent out there, instead of me dragging out baskets every time my buddies and I feel like playing it. I was going to make nine homemade baskets, but I'm worried the neighborhood hooligans will have their way with them out in the woods, and at least if they have their way with the tone-poles it won't be that hard to make more.

Honestly it doesn't matter that much to me. I voted for the baskets simply because it takes away almost all of the questions about a disc that looks like it hit a tone pole but the group couldn't tell for sure or problems with blind shots. That said, neither situation would keep me from coming out to an event.

a24f82bb.jpg

True "tone" poles can be fun. Buckhorn DGC uses old fire extinguishers for targets. The top is cut off and then it's put over a 4'x4' pole.
Gives off a really cool sound and is much harder to hit from a distance.

I didn't vote on the poll. I was hoping for a 4th option:
"Either one as both are good options"

All I know is if you ace on a tone pole I'm putting a * next to that ace!

Latest posts