• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you still consider it an ace?

From your description it seemed to be more practice than play - not trying to rain on your parade. I tend to side with Brother Dave on this one. Nice shot, no doubt, but I say do it again on Saturday when you are playing a round with your buddies and it will feel a whole lot more legit.

I would take one of those right now, I haven't come close to a basket in months.

I tend to side with Brother Dave as well. It is definitely a great shot, but an ace means you only threw once. If anything, you could say you got par on the hole since you re-teed with a penalty stroke after declaring the first throw unplayable LOL

I think as everyone has said it comes down to your own theory. I would count it for sure, it doesnt feel as good as one during a round with your buddys or the 1 itself goin down on the scorecard. I believe someone else said it though you went from tee to pin...thats an ace. Me and my buddies all joke bout how none of us have had a "real" ace because they have all been on this dinky course near us but nothin longer then say 210. Still a legit hole just nothin that feels anywhere near what we want when the 300 one drops in. We have all just got pretty serious recently and have had alot bounce off the long ones, but anyways...like I said I would definately count it. All in everyones personal opinion.

Of course it is an ace and don't let anyone give you any BS about it not being one.

ace ace ace. tee to chains is an ace man. scoring a round doesnt make it more "official". aces don't only happen during an A tier tourney with pdga board members watching during the first round on a course you've never played. be proud man...thats a fun hole. thats only my humble opinion, of course :)

It it were me, I would not count it as an ace. At that point it sounds like you are just messing around in practice. I would love to go out on the driving range at a ball golf course where they have pins on greens that mark distance and see if I hit a ball into the cup, but when I do it there, it is certainly not an ace.

Perhaps the best way to resolve this dispute is to ask a simple question. How would you feel had you stuck it in the chains on the first shot as opposed to the second one?

Whatever you call it, in the end, nobody else's opinion really matters.

Definitely an ace. Great job. I'm still waiting for mine. A similar thing happened to me today, but it was just a birdie. We played our round and the sun had set. The course was nearly unpopulated, so we went to throw some of the tougher holes for practice. I ended up beating a very tough hole that I had bean trying to lick for a while. Sure we weren't playing a real round, but practice or game-time, it counts the same. Even if you had thrown twenty in five minutes, it counts. It was your skill that put the pizza in the oven. Congratulations.

No way

It it were me, I would not count it as an ace. At that point it sounds like you are just messing around in practice. I would love to go out on the driving range at a ball golf course where they have pins on greens that mark distance and see if I hit a ball into the cup, but when I do it there, it is certainly not an ace.

Practice on a driving range in ball golf is not the same as practice on the links in ball golf nor is it the same as practice holes in DG. If you are on a course hole and you hear a "ching" while standing on the tee, it is an ace. There are all kinds of ball golf exhibitions around full tournaments that people attend and watch on TV just to see a race to an ace. The round doesn't really count. But when ESPN plays highlights, the announcers refer to holing in one shot a "hole-in-one," otherwise known as an "ace."

Not an "ace". Second throw from the same tee... with no intent to play out the hole, much less the round. Nope.

I tend to agree with the "not an ace" crowd. It doesn't take away from the fact that it was a great shot, but for me, an ace would be first throw from the tee during a round, whether it be casual or competitive.

Top basket basket? No, must be supported by the chains or the bottom part of the basket.

AFA the OP, I would count it as an ace.

If you were "practicing" your drives and you hit 400 feet and your previous best was only 360 feet, what would you answer when someone asks whats your max D?
You would say "I have thrown 400 feet before."

Top basket basket? No, must be supported by the chains or the bottom part of the basket.

AFA the OP, I would count it as an ace.

If you were "practicing" your drives and you hit 400 feet and your previous best was only 360 feet, what would you answer when someone asks whats your max D?
You would say "I have thrown 400 feet before."

you would have to say the closest ive ever gottenis DROT. and then you would say ive thrown 400' in practice and 360' in a round.

I sense a little hostility here, calm down there brother. Some people wouldn't consider my one ace of being legit because I didn't have any witnesses. Not my fault nobody plays my rinky dink course. It's getting a little more popular now though, I might have to pull a Roscoe P. Coltrane with some fake signage to get my little oasis back.

What it all boils down to is your definition of ace.

No, no hostility at all. I have 3 aces myself and they all come during the course of a round on my first tee off attempt, so I don't have some secret motive here in my argument. I'm proud of those aces, and I think that he should be proud of his.
I don't get where all these warped definitions of what an ace is come from. An ace is when your disc goes in the basket when you threw it from the tee box...period. There really isn't any black and white about it. You can qualify what KIND of ace it is, but regardless it is an ace. You can call it a "practice" ace, a "2nd shot ace", or a brown ace or a blue ace. It doesn't matter how you qualify it, it is still an ace.
There's been countless ace threads and what they all boil down to is that yes, it is an ace, BUT you may not brag about it quite as much as you would about an ace that occured in a round, and you wouldn't brag as much about an ace in a casual round as you would one that occurred in a tournament round.

No, no hostility at all. I have 3 aces myself and they all come during the course of a round on my first tee off attempt, so I don't have some secret motive here in my argument. I'm proud of those aces, and I think that he should be proud of his.
I don't get where all these warped definitions of what an ace is come from. An ace is when your disc goes in the basket when you threw it from the tee box...period. There really isn't any black and white about it. You can qualify what KIND of ace it is, but regardless it is an ace. You can call it a "practice" ace, a "2nd shot ace", or a brown ace or a blue ace. It doesn't matter how you qualify it, it is still an ace.
There's been countless ace threads and what they all boil down to is that yes, it is an ace, BUT you may not brag about it quite as much as you would about an ace that occured in a round, and you wouldn't brag as much about an ace in a casual round as you would one that occurred in a tournament round.

It may just be semantics but I think of an Ace as thrown during an actual round (no matter how casual), and that is what I will pay 51 on and sign a disc for. If it is a practice shot or the like I'd consider it a hole-in-one and will not be paying $5 or signing the disc.

Latest posts