• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you watch a local tournament (as a spectator) you weren't playing in?

This is what I usually do. I usually don't even get a "thank you" from the organizer, much less a players pack.

But I hope you got a few "Thank Yous" from the field. I know I said, "Thanks for spotting" on #8 last year in Rolla. I give players pack to anyone who volunteers if possible. If you don't play in the 2014 Jefferson City Open, come up and help and we'll take good care of you for sure!

Oh yeah... my answer would be Yes. Although I can't think of a reason I wouldn't be playing in said tournament unless I simply couldn't be there due to other obligations. But I love to watch and play... so like maybe if an injury kept me out, I'd come out and watch and support and most likely help.

Which guys would that be?

Are any of the posters here who say they won't spectate, the same ones who decry the lack of media exposure? I suspect they---we---are more likely the guys who think the holy grail of media exposure isn't the measure of the success of disc golf.
Agreed! Things are amazing right now with an adequate number of courses in many areas and great quality inexpensive equipment. Media exposure might equal more courses in the long run, but for several years it would just mean more people on the existing layouts, increasing frustration and further reducing etiquette. This in turn will cause some newer players (most likely the ones who decide to play due to the increased exposure as opposed to being introduced by a disc golfer) to think poorly of the sport and give up too soon. We're fine the way we are!

Oops, sorry if I struck a nerve.

Out of curiosity, what would you say defines the measure of the success of disc golf? Is it large purses for tournaments? You won't get them until you get lots of sponsors and you won't get lots of sponsors until you get media coverage.

I love the sport. I love the mobility of it and the relatively low cost associated with it. I can toss my small Fade Lite bag in the work van and play a quick round at lunch or after work at a local park in several of the towns I work in. And best of all I don't have to pay $25 or more in greens fees to do it.

I would love to see DG get so popular that every city park that has room for a course lets someone build one just like you see soccer fields, baseball/softball fields and basketball courts in most public parks today. How we get their I don't know for sure but I would think media coverage would go a long way toward that goal.

It's a thread derail, but I'm of the camp that believes that disc golf has a huge future as a participation sport, but not as a spectator sport. I don't begrudge or disparage those who want to watch tournaments, but I don't believe there'll ever be great numbers. My definition of success? If there are 20 times as many courses and 10 times as many tournaments, and lots more collegiate, high school, and youth leagues, but no major media coverage---I'll accept that as success.

I've played in B-tiers and helped run B-tiers and have no interest in watching one, either in person, online, or on broadcast TV.

I wish from the tournament perspective we can get away from the stigma or "tiers" representing the quality of the tournament. If someone had 5k added cash and a crazy sweet environment that brought the best talent, you wouldn't go watch that because it's a B tier? But if someone created the minimum level A tier, you would watch?

I wish from the tournament perspective we can get away from the stigma or "tiers" representing the quality of the tournament. If someone had 5k added cash and a crazy sweet environment that brought the best talent, you wouldn't go watch that because it's a B tier? But if someone created the minimum level A tier, you would watch?

Good point, but the tiers are a good general shorthand for who might be there. With, as you point out, exceptions in both directions.

I have watched---because I was already there---C-tiers with some Top-20 players, and NT finals and part of the Pro Worlds with the cream of the crop, but I wouldn't do it if I wasn't already there. The only event I've watched, that I'll make an effort to, is the USDGC; it has a combination of top players, spectator-friendly venue, and spectacle that makes it worthwhile.

To my interest.

The key phrase is bolded above. If there was a tournament regardless of level that had 8 of the top 12 pros, held on a course that I enjoy playing, I'd probably go and watch. In central Ohio this won't happen without it being a national tournament, hence my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what would you say defines the measure of the success of disc golf? Is it large purses for tournaments? You won't get them until you get lots of sponsors and you won't get lots of sponsors until you get media coverage.
And we won't get media coverage (at least not the kind the athlete worshipers here are looking for) because even the majority of the folks on board, who understand the nuances of the game say that there's nothing to watch.

Large purses for tournaments aren't the measure of success, as they generally are a resource gathered from the many for the benefit of a few.

I would love to see DG get so popular that every city park that has room for a course lets someone build one just like you see soccer fields, baseball/softball fields and basketball courts in most public parks today. How we get their I don't know for sure but I would think media coverage would go a long way toward that goal.
Go to the directory and query how many pre-2000 installation courses are in it.

Then move the 2000 parameter forward a year to 2001 and check again, then 2002, 2003, 2004, etc.....

Seems your vision is well underway, and without the media coverage. Some of you with your "big media is the holy grail" mindset continue to have issues with that realization.

^ Wow...just did that exercise (browsing courses and incrementing the Year Established).
I knew we were getting more courses but that really drives the point home:

pre-2000: 1139
2000: 81
2001: 121
2002: 110
2003: 161
2004: 198
2005: 216
2006: 231
2007: 290
2008: 277
2009: 347
2010: 322
2011: 351
2012: 401
2013: 328

Any company would be more than happy toopen new locations at that rate.
Who wants to guess how many courses get added on DGCR in 2014? I'll say 418.

Last edited:
And I think that's only the ones where the date gets listed, the numbers are probably even higher.

^ Wow...just did that exercise (browsing courses and incrementing the Year Established).
I knew we were getting more courses but that really drives the point home:

pre-2000: 1139
2000: 81
2001: 121
2002: 110
2003: 161
2004: 198
2005: 216
2006: 231
2007: 290
2008: 277
2009: 347
2010: 322
2011: 351
2012: 401
2013: 328

Any company would be more than happy toopen new locations at that rate.
Who wants to guess how many courses get added on DGCR in 2014? I'll say 418.
Lol...if every course that was more than two years old was pulled tomorrow, there would still be more courses in the ground than there were when I started playing.

If I could sit near a basket on an interesting hole and watch shots come in while drinking a 12 pack I would do it for sure. I would also enjoy following the top card and watching them play.

If I wasn't playing and schedule allowed for it, then yea, I'd go out and watch. With a wife and young daughter, my schedule doesn't allow for much free time.

Latest posts