• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith vs cd3 vs surge

I started throwing my star wraith (a really flat one) again, and forgot how much I love 11 speed discs. Picked up another star that's more of a pop top, and it's pretty awesome as well! A little more overstable than the flat one. Looking to pick up something that'll bomb a little more than these. I've heard pro wraith is a good option. I've heard s-line cd3 is similiar to a pro wraith? And I've met no one who actually throws a surge. But I know people swear by them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pro wraith. A lot more glidey and direct than in star. Still finished predictably OS, but flies much straighter for longer in my hands.

You can't go wrong with either and ESP Surge or Pro Wraith. Both go far with ease and are a dime a dozen.

I haven't tried a Surge, but I've tried the CD3 and a couple of pro Wraiths I found on the course with no ink. The CD3 is okay, but was not exceptional; it didn't "wow" me. The Pro Wraiths are really nice.

Pro Wraiths are really great. But I've been seeing two different kinds of Pro. Either fairly stiff (almost like Star) or really soft (more than G* soft).

I prefer the firm Pro Wraiths in the upper 160's.

I love the ESP Surge. I find it to be a little mellower than a Wraith. By that I mean it flies straighter with less low speed fade.

I've also had longer drives with Surges than I ever have with Wraiths. I just feel the Surge gets downrange and glides a little better than Wraiths do.

If you get a Surge, get an ESP. Z Surges tend to be flat and glideless.

I actually bag an ESP Surge, and have for years. Perfect driver for straight drives that are just under max distance.

Looks like I'm going to grab a pro wraith! Might buy a esp surge to compare. Sounds like the cd3 is not worth my time. Thanks for all the responses.

Looks like I'm going to grab a pro wraith! Might buy a esp surge to compare. Sounds like the cd3 is not worth my time. Thanks for all the responses.

The CD3 could be a great disc. I have no idea. I didn't opine on it because I've never thrown one.

For anything 350'-410' the Surge is a can't-miss disc though.

The Cd3 is my main disc now. I have stack of perfectly seasoned Star Wraiths I am going to put in the classified, and I threw them for many years. I use the CD3 exactly like use my Rivals and Rocs, from flippy to beefy by weight and color. I have tested the distances and the CD3 is the most consistent and longest and I can thread with it nearly as well as a Rival or Leopard. It will hang with the DDX for distance 9 out of 10 throws.

The Cd3 is my main disc now. I have stack of perfectly seasoned Star Wraiths I am going to put in the classified, and I threw them for many years. I use the CD3 exactly like use my Rivals and Rocs, from flippy to beefy by weight and color. I have tested the distances and the CD3 is the most consistent and longest and I can thread with it nearly as well as a Rival or Leopard. It will hang with the DDX for distance 9 out of 10 throws.
I'd be interested in buying your star wraiths. Message me.

Anyone have any luck finding ESP Surge's in the 173-175 range? All of the online retailers I've searched have old stock ESP in the 165-170 range. Any chance Discraft do a new run in the updated ESP plastic?

Another one to consider would be the Krait. I think it was originally intended to be the Wraith-L (or something like that) so it will be more workable right out of the box for sure.

When I threw the CD3, a brand new one in JL-ish plastic, it flew like a slightly beat Wraith. Sits between the Wraith and Krait in terms of stability. Of course, all 3 of those molds have some variation. You might find a freak Krait that is more stable/OS than a new Wraith...but it's unlikely.

Safest bet, in terms of price and availability, will be pro Wraith and/or beat star Wraith. Feel free to hit me with a PM; I've got a box of Wraiths somewhere that I haven't thrown since I rediscovered how fun Destroyers and Vulcans are.

The DDX is the wider rimmed CD3. I have some that I mess with. The CD3 is just easier to throw and there are very few times the DDx will go further, but it is good disc and if the wind is blowing you might get some bonus speed distance.

The CD3 is as easy to throw as a 7 speed driver. It is much easier to throw consistently than Wraiths, and I threw Wraiths for a decade. Much straighter finish. I have five in my bag from flippy to pretty darn stable. The Yellow is the most stable and will not flip in bad conditions. Light blue and pink are more flippy but in a good way (like a Star Leopard or Patriot), and orange is like throwing a perfectly beat in Teebird or Rival.

Pro Wraiths are really great. But I've been seeing two different kinds of Pro. Either fairly stiff (almost like Star) or really soft (more than G* soft).

I prefer the firm Pro Wraiths in the upper 160's.

I haven't heard a single person that preferred the ridiculously flimsy gummy new pro over good old fashioned driver pro.

Having thrown all 3, I'd say another Wraith in either Pro or a used Star, just for the sake of consistency. I loved my Surge and my Konopiste Open CD3, but sadly both went MIA, so I've gone to the Shryke/Pharoah with Xcals for wind. I'm not a huge fan of Trilogy discs but a DD Trespass might fit what you are looking for, and it feels very similar to the Wraith. I think I need to get a Surge again, especially if I can find another ESP FLX like the one I lost. FWIW I like a softer plastic for max D, but firmer plastics for control, if only Champ/Z wasn't so glideless, my CD3 was an exception though.