• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Writing on putter

araytx

* Ace Member *
Is this a problem?

Player is inside the circle putting. He begins his routine with two putters like many players. 10 seconds in, he steps off his lie and places putter #2 upside down on the ground in front of him, then resumes his routine. As he is readying to putt, you notice he has notes written on the underside of putter #2, which he is clearly reading during the putting routine. He completes the routine and putts within the allotted 30 seconds.

Thoughts?

It's not a test, he/she is allowed to read from their notes. :)
I think it's a good idea even though I've never done it, but I putt with black discs so that wouldn't work anyway.

Other than a potential excessive time penalty if a slow reader, I can't think of any rule that is being infringed by a player consulting notes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea really if it is a matter of centering your thoughts. I play fast when I play casually, and that means putting through the routine fast because I have no stress of making that putt. If I miss, no big deal. Conversely, when it matters most during league or tournament, sometimes I wonder if my routine is then too fast and I am not concentrating enough. In the ideal conditions in my basement, I can nail over 90% of my putts from 25 feet, and most everyone knows this, it does not translate to the course. Maybe a written affirmation to slow myself down and not forget what does work during practice would be a good thing when I am playing seriously.

I believe (although darn it I can't find it in the rule book) there's something about not altering the playing conditions on the course / ahead of the lie (unless it directly affects you taking a stance, etc.), so technically placing a disc AHEAD of the lie does violate this. Wicked semantics (and I've never called anyone for such) but....

Thoughts?

My only thought is how truly bizarre this putting ritual is. I can only hope that he wrote this on the back to mess with anyone curious:

Kew8Yot.jpg

I played for years with a mini with "THINK!" written on it as large as I could make it...

About 20 years ago, we kicked around ideas for a run of inspiration minis. "Relax", "Drain it", "Bend your knees", a happy face, I can't remember now, since we didn't follow through.

I still think it's a good idea. "THINK!" would fit right in.

I think "STOP THINKING" would work better for me personally.
Sports would be so much easier if, at will, we could switch off our conscious forebrain. Or if not switch it off, just remove it's power to interfere.

Our subconscious knows how to throw a disc or kick a ball - that's what training does, it's gets the stuff in deep so it becomes instinct. Then we just need to get our busy, chatty conscious mind to shut the *#*# up, and not get involved.

I think that's what athletes mean when they talk about being in the zone - the subconscious/instinct is in charge, and the bit that sits on top looking out from our skulls, is quiet and just along for the ride.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest posts