• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

X Step question

Bradford

Par Member
Alright guys, let me see if i can explain this correctly. When i drive using the x step, on my reach back motion i'm looking behind me, and as i go thru the motions of my pull my heads twist back forwards with my body motion. If that makes sense. A buddy of mine that has been playing for years and has helped me evolve my drive thought me this.

Another buddy that usually play rounds with and started when i did so that we could have another thing in common basicially, tells me i'm doing it wrong and i need to keep my eyes on the basket at all times.

What is the more correct method? Thanks in advance.

I look away on most shots off the tee. 3 aces this year.... I think it is a "whatever works" thing though.

what they^^ said. you gotta look back at least somewhat.

further reackback for more distance = more head turning. You wont need to turn your head for little shots.

I know some people who claim that "pros always keep the target in sight" but it's BS, i tell you. CHeck any driving slow motions and you will see.

i went out today and tried the look behind and actually gained an immediate 20-30 feet, but still very hard for me to break 300. Sometimes everything feels just right and the disc rips outta my hand but just have trouble getting there, fun working on it tho

If you have any sort of reachback at all keeping your head on target the whole time is a good way to injure your shoulder...either that or it restricts your range of motion anyway.

Truth be told, I've never once thought about where my head is looking during a reachback. It's not that important. You don't aim with your head anyway, you aim with your hips and shoulders.

i went out today and tried the look behind and actually gained an immediate 20-30 feet, but still very hard for me to break 300. Sometimes everything feels just right and the disc rips outta my hand but just have trouble getting there, fun working on it tho

That's me really but I just keep practicing. One day it will all click.

On tee shots I look back at the disc in my hand (back of head facing line) 100% of the time. Some long upshots too.

Agreed. :hfive:

Thanks for the input guys

Watch your nose angles. What are you throwing?

Since I have the same issue I'll answer too. Valks both dx and champ, dx leopards and also dx shark mid that I drive with sometimes. I have other drivers but I've shelved them till I start throwing a little better.

Watch your nose angles. What are you throwing?

165 pro leopard
168 buzzz
150g star sidewinder

I can get the sidewinder to 300 if i keep it low enough but it can be tough. Im about 6' and athletic so I know i can get farther, just need to put it all together i guess

You don't aim with your head anyway, you aim with your hips and shoulders.
Yeah, but your head is attached to your shoulders so it's somewhat important. It's just that it's most important near the end of the throw. There's a bit about it here:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/aiming.shtml

Watch Ken Climo's head during his throw compared to what the disc does. Some theorize that his head control is part of the secret to his consistency.

Yeah, but your head is attached to your shoulders so it's somewhat important. It's just that it's most important near the end of the throw. There's a bit about it here:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/aiming.shtml

Watch Ken Climo's head during his throw compared to what the disc does. Some theorize that his head control is part of the secret to his consistency.

Agreed.

However, he's not saying that the head (eye direction is more accurate for this thread) is aiming. Your head should move in conjunction with the rest of your body. I think this is what you're saying as well.

I take my cue from Golf - if you try to keep your head looking down the fairway you won't hit the ball solid, or you'll miss entirely. You keep your head down through the shot. In the same vein, in disc golf your head shouldn't resist the shoulder/hip turn of the reachback by looking down the fairway. Nor, IMO, should you try to look all the way backwards at the disc. Let your head turn naturally with the rotation of your torso, and don't look up to watch the shot prematurely - i.e. like golf, stay down and in the shot until the disc is released.

I think the last part of what I said is what Blake T. is saying as well about being "locked in", when you power through the hit your head should not be pulling your body out of balance, and it stays steady as your torso rotation speed increases.

Physiologically, your head can only turn on average about 150 degrees in either direction. That means that even if you want your head turned as MUCH toward the basket as possible and still put your shoulder blades to the basket, your head has to deviate at least 30 degrees. If you have your head truly pointed at the basket, then you restrict 30 degrees off of your rotation and therefore sacrifice momentum and therefore distance. Don't let your head restrict your reach back. Instead, let the head follow during the reach back and LEAD during the throw. This will accomplish the purposes of both. I personally look almost completely backwards during my reach back and end up looking at my target as I release the disc.

Physiologically, your head can only turn on average about 150 degrees in either direction.

Are you talking owls or humans?? :eek: I can maybe see back that far in my peripheral vision but my chin doesn't go past my shoulder or 90 deg. There's no way my head is turning 150 deg!!

Latest posts