• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XL vs. XS vs. Stalker

erange75

I recently split the Discraft misprint deal with a friend and in my half I received all 3 discs. What are the main differences between these discs? Thanks in advance!

I think the XL and XS are fairly similar understable distance drivers with the XS being slightly faster. The Stalker is a larger diameter fairway driver which makes it a little more controllable and slower with more glide. There should not be much difference between the flights and distance, thrown in the same conditions.

XL is just slightly understable. XS is same speed, more understable. Stalker is slightly faster and a tiny bit overstable.

XL is just slightly understable. XS is same speed, more understable. Stalker is slightly faster and a tiny bit overstable.

I would agree with this. I would also say that the stability of the Stalker combined with the wide wing allows it to go farther with less helix motion. Not a whole lot of high speed turn, and not too much fade.

It is accurately portrayed as a BuzZz for distance. Kind of like a Z BuzZz on steroids.

If you work with the Stalker...you'll learn to love it.

Also I like the XL, it's a great starter disc. I keep one in my bag for days when I just can't keep it together. The XL is my "Crap. I suck today...what do I throw that I know I can at least go somewhere not TERRIBLE!? Hey look my XL!"

That was yesterday. I threw my XL until I got my form back...it's understability is a bit forgiving.

I've only recently gotten the XS...got it because it was underpriced at PIAS...like the other champ and Z discs I got that day...

\/\/

i disagree about the stalker being faster. i think it's the slowest of the three. i don't know why discraft calls it an extra long range driver. i think it's clearly a fairway driver and the pros all call it a longer buzz.
read the reviews here
http://www.discraft.com/prod_stalker_z.html

"The perfect hybrid between midrange and driver... Stalker gives driver distance with midrange accuracy."

perfect description

This, except I would question the speed aspect of the stalker as well. The differences between the XS and XL aren't extremely pronounced, and will work for all of the same shots. The XS just makes it a little easier for the weaker arms. The stalker is stable. It has very little fade and will hold the line you throw it on. If you are trying to helix it you need quite a bit of room since it takes so long to fade out of an anny. All in all, I prefer the XL because a flat shot can go terribly wrong if you anny the stalker just a little bit. That, and the stalker seems to start struggling if you try to push it much farther than 300. It is a great disc for newbies that have decent form down though. Easy to get respectable, accurate D with at that point.

i disagree about the stalker being faster. i think it's the slowest of the three. i don't know why discraft calls it an extra long range driver. i think it's clearly a fairway driver and the pros all call it a longer buzz.

"The perfect hybrid between midrange and driver... Stalker gives driver distance with midrange accuracy."

perfect description

And to that end I would call a Z BuzZz more of a fairway driver than a midrange.

And the Stalker has longer legs than the Z BuzZz. The first time I ever laid eyes on a stalker it was stopped by a tree after it had traveled 546 feet. It still have some serious sauce on it at that point as well.

\/\/

The XL and XS are pretty dang similar where the Stalker is a different animal all together. I think the XL and XS can be pushed well over 400 where Stalker just doesnt have the legs.

The XL is a faster fairway driver with some turn and a little fade. It's similar to a TL. A beat X or D version is a great distance driver for people throwing <300'.

The XS is a slower distance driver similar to a Viking.

I'm less familiar with the Stalker, but it seems like another solid fairway driver. It's probably not as good on a distance line as an XL. FWIU, it was designed in high end plastic so it's probably easier to control in Z or ESP than the other two.

The Stalker is pretty much awesome, I use it for turnover shots out to about 350' and for straight or hyzer shots 300' and under.

The XL and XS are not discs that I have much experience with but are also discs that I am not sure I want to gain much experience with.

I have a tourney stamp Stalker that is liternally a go to driver for control. It can be very straight and defiantely will hold any line you put it on, which as was said means that it will hold the anny line, sometimes much longer than you might want. It is a bit slower than the top end speed drivers but not by much and I am almost certain that with all the glide that it has one could throw a Stalker just about as far as any disc out there.

In high altitude I am convinced that the only two driver someone needs is a Stalker and a Surge SS. Not that there are not other drivers that I carry, especially for windy conditions but they are the two drivers I will reach for most. At low altitude I would probably substitute a Surge for the Surge SS.

Everyone pretty much said it but my understanding is:

........................Stalker...............XL / XS
<overstable------stable------understable>

Stalker is Discraft's answer to the Tbird and XL/XS is comparable to a TL. If you are using a XL normally the Stalker may work as a hyzer disc and eventually be your main driver when you develop more snap and the XL/XS starts to flip.

Just going by my experience with speed.....I can get the XL to hold any line at any speed, but I gotta really heave the Stalker to have it "not fade away", hard.

i disagree about the stalker being faster. i think it's the slowest of the three.
Word. The larger diameter of the Stalker makes it harder for most folks to torque. Wonderful control driver though.

[
i don't know why discraft calls it an extra long range driver. i think it's clearly a fairway driver and the pros all call it a longer buzz.n
You gotta remember up until a few years ago, "fairway" drivers were once the longest drivers available. "Extra Long Range Driver" is a term Discraft has been using for some time, long before the big bomb Speed 11-13 drivers of today came out. Discraft refers to their bomb drivers as "Maximum Distance Drivers".

Similarly, some older run Innova molds now marked as fairway drivers used to be marked as distance drivers.

The first time I ever laid eyes on a stalker it was stopped by a tree after it had traveled 546 feet. It still have some serious sauce on it at that point as well.

downhill thrown by a pro???

all the same, i think it's easy to confuse speed and distance potential. a faster disc won't necessarily go further. just look at the distance records. they aren't being set by all the new, high speed discs.

scarpfish, word.

Thanks for the info. By looking at Discraft's "stability ratings" for each disc, I thought the Stalker was the least stable of the three.
I have been only playing for 6 mo. now and am still learning a lot about the sport.

The numbers are a bit deceptive. The XL's and XS's vary between plastics. The reason they hold higher stability ratings is because they have more fade. There really isn't too noticeable of a turn on a Z XL, but on the X or Pro-D it will be more prominent (assuming you don't have a cannon anyways). Same goes for the XS (minus the Pro-D, it doesn't exist). The Stalker doesn't have turn (for normal flights/arms) and has almost no fade. That places it as a pretty stable disc. The XL and XS both have some turn to them, so they're usually classified as slightly understable. Note the "slightly." They aren't super flippy or anything.

I've been throwing xl all season but from what I've read I have to maybe try this stalker that's been hanging on my wall. I like xl for straight and annys with little fade back but need it to hold tighter line in trees.

Latest posts