• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Xstep question

wakefield724

I do a 3 step x-step. I face 90 degree to target, right step forward, left behind, right forward and throw. What's the advantages of taking the first right foot forward step? Would the throw change if you just widened your base and took the last 2 steps?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Taking 2 steps would mean that your first step was with the behind step, and second was the plant foot. That would be a very unnatural way to step.

I feel the first step is to set up more of a "hop" with the second (crossing behind the first)

This is what I think about the x-step. When you are trying to throw an object, it is natural to try to create an initial velocity by moving yourself in the direction you want to throw. It is what we do when we throw just about any object. The disc golf throw is different. In order to maximize power, your feet/knees/hips/shoulders/elbow/wrist/(grip point) need to all work together in nearly perfect timing. Each piece compounds the acceleration given to the disc.

So the x-step is mainly used to get the feet in correct position to maximize with weight shift at release. It is also helpful to use it for timing the rest of your throw.

I think that if a person is able to maintain the timing of their throw with a larger x-step, this will make the weight shift cover more ground and impart more initial velocity to the system. The faster your body is moving, the less time you have to perform the throw with your feet planted correctly. I think this also narrows the already tight timing window that needs to be hit for the best snap.

So in conclusion, the more aggressive the x-step, the more distance is covered, the more initial velocity is added, the quicker the throw needs to be, the smaller the timing window is made, and the more power/distance your throw will have.

Latest posts