• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Yo! Mid Atlantic, Anybody get a round in before the BLIZZARD of 2010?

Go PA!!!! :clap: Love the pics & smiles! You guys have always been a bit more winter hardcore. I remember in the early 90s driving to Akron to play in a snow storm. Most of us waited in the car while our buddy played the finals. Of course it was all rain once we got close to Baltimore.

Glad power is coming back and will you guys take it easy on the toes!?! :sick:

With 8"-12" more possible, didn't see the point shoveling 10 meters around my basket. Too much shoveling!!! :wall: Can't wait to see what these Popeye arms do to my putting.

Thanks to Ch.4's Bob Ryan for confirming my earlier fears & worries of snow, snow & more snow on my 45 year roof. :eek:

Be safe and keep the faith people!! :)

Me, too, at about 2. 2 days & 6 hours w/o power in a 200 year old house with a high of 35 & a low of 10 = COLD!

no doubt, at least i have a big woodstove that kept the place pretty warm and allowed me to cook on it a bit. i had it so hot one day i melted a plastic milk crate about 2 feet away from it.

no doubt, at least i have a big woodstove that kept the place pretty warm and allowed me to cook on it a bit. i had it so hot one day i melted a plastic milk crate about 2 feet away from it.

That's the way it was growing up on the farm. First one up got the wood stove going or everybody got up cold. Had our 3rd cord of the season dropped off before the snow last Tuesday night. Been feeding the wood stove since Friday afternoon.

i've been feeding mine since mid-december.

worst thing about the snow on the farm is keeping livestock fed and with access to water.

WOW, and to think, I have been complaining of the rain here and having to play in the mud.

I thought it was just bruised. We are snowed in in DC and in a state of emergency, so I can not get to my car, so I just walked 2 miles to the grocery store and 2 miles back (with 40lbs of groceries on my back)
When I got home I took off my boot and saw it was really broken, but I can not get to the hospital...plus it's a toe, the hospital won't do anything except maybe give me some pain pills that would make Apothecary jealous.

make sure its elevated and iced. that what happened to me last winter and thats what the docs said. it limit swelling

Prerube, I know that hurts.
At least your feet were numb when you did it.

Broke my pinky toe and cracked the next little piggy nearly fifteen years ago simply because I rearranged my bedroom furniture.

Had to pee about 5:00 AM and headed for the bathroom half asleep. Next thing I knew I was crawling to the bathroom using every ounce of will and fortitude I had to make it to the toilet without dependsing on myself.

Doctors X-rayed and taped then said ":)". Have a nice day...Here's some extra tape
Healing was really slow and painful since I stand 8 hours a day cooking for a living.

Now that I think about it, the last time I played a tournament was at the Grange about a month or two before the incident.

Still takes me three to six months to break in new shoes. Wear them at home fifteen minutes a day, adding fifteen minutes a day until they don't hurt after four to six hours.

Okay, here we go again. Stumbled to bed last night and wife said I was muttering something about everything being covered in snow again. :mad:

Did get out for a few on Tuesday to resupply and see what the rest of the world was up to. It was a bit much for me and I was glad to get home. Not a digging tool to be found in any store. People were walking around Lowe's with something that looked like what a Boy Scout would use. They would do better with a bucket, a hat or anything but that little shovel. I was looking for rock salt or ice melt, another missing item in most stores. Ended up picking up 6 boxes of course kosher salt at grocery store. Rabbi is happy!!

Worried about all the snow on the roof of my back room. It has a flat roof and I could see cracks in the drywall tape and upon closer inspection noticed some sagging. So a round of roof shoveling was in order. With this next batch being wet & heavy, I'm glad I took the initiative. My bar is in that room!!! Must have priorities.:thmbup:

Couldn't talk the wife into leaving her car outside so I could putt in the garage. What a meany!! :p

Looks like a few more days of cabin fever. Guess I better go check on that bar! ;) Be safe all.

So, my school system has just shut down for the rest of the week. :wall: We are suppose to be off Monday for Prez Day. Have just decided that come Friday I will be going out the door with my bag in one hand and my shovel in the other.
I will, I must, I gotta play at least one hole on some course come snow or high water!!!! I will not be denied!!! Disc Gods, hear my prayers!!!! :D

More on this developing story as it unfolds. :popcorn:

Speaking of the blizzard of 2010. Round 2 is blasting us right now with another 2 feet. That is on top of the two feet we got saturday. I know I have said this before, but i am losing my mind thinking about the idea of not playing for weeks upon weeks. I am going south as soon as the roads clear. which could still be weeks the way they do things here.

Speaking of the blizzard of 2010. Round 2 is blasting us right now with another 2 feet. That is on top of the two feet we got saturday. I know I have said this before, but i am losing my mind thinking about the idea of not playing for weeks upon weeks. I am going south as soon as the roads clear. which could still be weeks the way they do things here.

There is a doubles tournament scheduled for this Saturday @ Quaker's Challenge - it is a fundraiser for the York County Food Bank, and a prelude to the Boulder Woods Ice Bowl the following Sunday.

Both events will go on as planned regardless of weather. Bring your ribbons, and come on out.

nothing worse than being off work and not being able to play, first monday now wednesday, at least if I was working I would be getting paid to browse this site and post.

I Would Not Be Denied!!

As previously stated, I went out this morning in search somewhere to get some kind of DG in. :popcorn:

So I go to my home course, Giles Run http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2473 , and there is one lane plowed into the joint but no plowed parking lot. There is an area in front of the facility on property and by silver tee #3 where the plows must have used to turn around. So I pulled up and got out to get a handle on things. Almost immediately I'm asked by a security guard if he could help me. I was polite and just said I wanted to check out the course and maybe take some pics. I was told I could park there and decide not to deal with the dudes and went on my way. Before I left, I stopped and got this pic of the pin on #7. Yes, those are ski tracks.

picture.php

So after that, I went to a much smaller course down the street and around the corner from Giles, Pohick Bay http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=853, and I had the place to myself. I grabbed the discs I deemed "Expendable"

picture.php

and my trusty grain shovel and on the course I stepped. It was a beautiful, Sunny day in the high 30's. The snow was untouched and surreal but I was about to change that. After wading a short bit through calf - knee+ deep snow, I tackled the 1st tee pad. As it usually is, it turned out to be the last tee pad, #9, that was the deepest. Above the knee when standing on the pad.

picture.php

Ah, the course was beautiful in all that snow.

picture.php

Snow Adventure Continued..........

Finally, the first drive!! Boy,that felt great!!

picture.php

The karma was good and it was nice to start off with a birdie!! I would find that the snow is a cruel creature and my next two birdies would be denied by snow in the chains.

picture.php

It didn't take long to find out the importance of the little pink ribbons.

picture.php

picture.php

But ultimately I would prevail and finish the front 9 with a -3 with a total of 13 tee pads cleared. You knocked me down, Old Man Winter, but not out. I'll be back tomorrow to finish the job and play a full 18. :clap: I hope you're inspired to insanity!!! Be safe!!

Finally, the first drive!! Boy,that felt great!!

picture.php

The karma was good and it was nice to start off with a birdie!! I would find that the snow is a cruel creature and my next two birdies would be denied by snow in the chains.

picture.php

It didn't take long to find out the importance of the little pink ribbons.

picture.php

picture.php

But ultimately I would prevail and finish the front 9 with a -3 with a total of 13 tee pads cleared. You knocked me down, Old Man Winter, but not out. I'll be back tomorrow to finish the job and play a full 18. :clap: I hope you're inspired to insanity!!! Be safe!!

That's awesome man! I'm thinking about going up to Shawnee State Park today. I probably won't clean the tees like you did as I don't have that much time. We'll see how it goes.

Going back out today at noon to finish the last 6 tees. Today not as pretty as yesterday but the unfinished job is bugging me.

Shawnee State Park in Schellsburg, PA

Played 9 holes today at Shawnee State Park. The snow was generally anywhere between about 8 to 18 inches deep. The deepest I got into was about half way up my thighs in the "bowl" area around pin #5. It was a good time, although I'm ready for Spring!

Hole #1, Summer time.

picture.php

Hole #1, Today, with snow damage that sadly opened up the fairway on the right.

picture.php

Was It Worth It? You Bet!!

Gotta tell you it was no picnic going back out today to finish the back 9 @ Pohick Bay. The trip to play 15 - 18 is pretty much consistent knee deep snow the entire way. It was a tough trek but they are clear. All 18 tee pads are clear at Pohick Bay!! :clap: The icing on the cake was the Ace I nabbed on #11. :D
picture.php

I'm pretty sure I have to thank the snow in the chains for helping to keep it in the basket. Traded in the blue DGA disc for the Groove today. I knew I needed a bit more umph on the back 9. The tee was perfect cause I cleared it yesterday. Let it rip and knew it had a pretty good line and then the snow in the chains exploded. Check out how the pretty pink ribbon goes through the snow.
It's been 15 years easy since the last ace. (I was out of the game for about a dozen of those years.) I went bananas to the point that an older couple walking their dog in the near by street asked if I was okay. :hfive:

I also found some tree damage on the last two holes. Good size Holly trees that just almost bent in half from the weight of the snow. They'll probably have to be removed. Here's the one on 17.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=620&pictureid=4333

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=620&pictureid=4334

As silly or insane as it might have been. I'm glad I got out on a course and shook off this cabin fever. Hopefully we can put the BLIZZARD of 2010 to bed. :thmbup:

Latest posts