• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You Kansas guys are crazy

ray1970

* Ace Member *
Just went and played a little nine hole course in the wind. Probably 25 mph steady with plenty of gusts up to probably 45 or 50 mph.

Keeping your balance on the tee pad was sketchy and the wind would almost yank the disc out of your hand just standing there.

Only threw the beefiest discs I carry and I was surprised to see some of them go dead straight or even turn over and not come back.

About five holes in I just pretty much gave up on any kind of driver all together and just stuck to using my MD5 for everything.

I was putting exclusively with the disc upside down and even had a couple of those putts picked up and throw far from the basket.

I don't know how you guys in the wind blown states even enjoy playing.

I did manage to set a personal record. +18 after nine holes. We opted to not play around again for a full eighteen holes.

nothing more fun than watching your beefy firebird fly off the wrong direction every single hole no matter what you do...

:|

lulz though...

Not Adams. (I thought the baskets were still pulled there for the construction they were doing?)

It was that little nine hole course in Brighton.

I have played a few really windy rounds at Adams. I remember one day last summer it was beautiful until right before we teed off and then a storm started rolling in and it got stupid windy.

It's windy in Oklahoma cuz Kansas sux and Texas blows. I can find other things to do when it's blowing steady 20+ mph.

It's windy in Oklahoma cuz Kansas sux and Texas blows. I can find other things to do when it's blowing steady 20+ mph.

Yup. After living in Oklahoma I realized that a real 20mph wind is already no fun to play in. With gusts to twice that, or more, playing disc golf is a joke.

Nevertheless, learning to throw in crazy winds is a good skill to have. I don't miss rounds where I had to lay up an overstable/upside-down disc from 15'.

Just went and played a little nine hole course in the wind. Probably 25 mph steady with plenty of gusts up to probably 45 or 50 mph.

Keeping your balance on the tee pad was sketchy and the wind would almost yank the disc out of your hand just standing there.

Only threw the beefiest discs I carry and I was surprised to see some of them go dead straight or even turn over and not come back.

About five holes in I just pretty much gave up on any kind of driver all together and just stuck to using my MD5 for everything.

I was putting exclusively with the disc upside down and even had a couple of those putts picked up and throw far from the basket.

I don't know how you guys in the wind blown states even enjoy playing.

I did manage to set a personal record. +18 after nine holes. We opted to not play around again for a full eighteen holes.

That could also be parts of South Dakota, steady 20 mph winds with gust 40-50 mph or more likely winds steady at 20 mph with winds gusting 30-35 mph. With the potential for steady to be 25-30 mph later on in the day. It is crazy what I have playd in winds in. Winter could be even more crazy in that the wind is steady 25 mph with gust up to 45 mph.I once played disc golf where the wind storm warning went off, had to use a Star Shark 175 grams for putting and for driving my beefy 170 gram Champion Destroyer.

nothing more fun than watching your beefy firebird fly off the wrong direction every single hole no matter what you do...

:|

lulz though...

That is where you use your Beefy Champion Destroyer. Why I know another guy with a few just for that reason. Others will use a Drone for wind disc and others with a Latitude 64 XXX. Lots of players keep a Disc like a OS approach also for putting.

That is where you use your Beefy Champion Destroyer. Why I know another guy with a few just for that reason. Others will use a Drone for wind disc and others with a Latitude 64 XXX. Lots of players keep a Disc like a OS approach also for putting.

Yes Casey, everyone who plays in wind regularly knows what discs work for them. That said, 20+ mph sustained means gusts to 30 or more and that's not a good day for DG anywhere.

I bet you had to walk 5 miles to school in your bare feet in a blizzard too.

No need to reply, really.

Attachments

• wind_power_potential_usa_map.jpg
    wind_power_potential_usa_map.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 76
Yes Casey, everyone who plays in wind regularly knows what discs work for them. That said, 20+ mph sustained means gusts to 30 or more and that's not a good day for DG anywhere.

I bet you had to walk 5 miles to school in your bare feet in a blizzard too.

No need to reply, really.

No Schools were close and I had Boots :D

I enjoy super windy rounds. When I see a forecast for high winds I will try to go play. But I live in Wisconsin so we only have strong winds for a few weeks in the spring and fall.

I enjoy super windy rounds. When I see a forecast for high winds I will try to go play. But I live in Wisconsin so we only have strong winds for a few weeks in the spring and fall.

Then and in deep winter, but you might not want to play then as playing in snow up to 3 feet high or more is not fun. I have tried that in a Ice Bowl one time in my home town Pierre South Dakota when we had the rare big winter storm.

I'm right across the river from Kansas, and I love the wind. I also love when people from calm places come play in our tournaments. =D

I actually would love to play in a high wind tournament round at a course like Fox Run Meadows. Normally I'd rather play Brewster Ridge, but the wind should make for an interesting if not infuriating round on Fox Run. I've done some 20+mph field work but never really encountered more than 10 on the course. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I want to take full advantage of any advantage I have over my competition in a competitive round. On a semi-related note, I prefer it to be cloudy when I play, with the occasional sprinkle or light drizzle. Sunny rounds are great fun by myself but I want variables no one is used to playing in.