• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your bag, four categories, break it down

I carry 21 discs in my bag. Most are duplicates since Im hooked on them.

Putters
(3) Yeti Pro Aviars (primary putter/beat putter/driving putter)

Mids
(4) Rocs (KCP Flat top, Ching Flat top for straight shots) and (Ontario Ching/Old Throw in the Dark for turnovers)

Drivers
(2) Katanas- Long straight shots (Champ)
(2) Valkyries- Good for turnover drives (CE/DX)
(3) Firebirds- 2 are Flat 12x that are great for tomahawks and 1 is star for flicks/get out of trouble shots.
(2) Boss- Both are great flick discs (champ-feldberg pre #s)
(1) Wraith- Great for long straight shots (champ)
(1) Roadrunner- Roller disc/turnover disc if I dont wanna use a valk (star)
(2) Teebirds- Both are 11x. F'in love this disc. I can put this almost as far as my Katana with less effort. (champ)
(1) Wahoo- Yes I know its a floater...and floaters are lame, but it bombs when you need it on a long water hole. Main reason I carry it is for 1 hole in my area has NASTY black water along the hole and it already ate 4 of my good discs....but not anymore.

4 Putters:
2 Soft Judges - Fusion Judge - Pro Pig

5 Mids:
Roc3 - Crystal Comet - VIP Tursas - Q Sentinel - Neutron Tangent (Trial Phase)

5 Fairway:
11x Eagle L - Champion Viking - Star Teebird - VIP Underworld - Z Predator

4 Distance:
2 Opto Fury - GL Fury - SOLF

I love putters and use them a lot.
-P&A
Putt: Classic Judge
Approach: Sinus
Drive: Anode
-Mid
Stable to over stable: Warship
Stable to under stable: Core
-Fairway
Over stable/ Utility: Tracker
Stable to Over stable: Saint
Under stable: Underworld
-Distance
you know: Havoc

My two primary categories of discs are flat with fade discs and hyzer flip discs. The former handles any shot that needs to finish with fade, the latter anything that needs to finish straight or turning. Regardless of the distance category, I'd want these two types of discs.

I'd also have a category of specialty discs. A very overstable driver (flex flicks, overhands, forehand rollers, skip shots) and a very understable driver (backhand rollers.)

My fourth category would be putters, because I don't like to throw my putters. I like having a primary putter and a long putter.

Putter:
Soft Banger-GT

Mid:
Neutron Tangent

Drivers:
Pro Leopard
Champ Teebird
GL Saint

Utility:
GL Trident

Four categories, six discs! All I need!

this is more or less how I do it. (guest appearances in brackets)

distance:
175 fresh pro wraith, 168 beat pro wraith (169 star destroyer when its windy and it's a long course)

fairway:
175 glow champ banshee,2x 175 star eagle-x, 168 star valk, 169 E* roadrunner

mids:
173 Tensor, 180 Z buzzz, 175 flx buzzz, 179 champ ontario cobra, 180 star classic cobra

putters:
175 champ ontario rhyno, 170 pro rhyno, 175 kc aviar, 175 kc glow aviar, 163 XD

as you can probably tell, the courses around here are pretty short. the slower my discs get, the better thought out they are.

Last edited:
minimum 10-disc bag

3 putters
zero hard pure for putting
opto (or GL) pure for straight/us driving/approach
premi jokeri for os driving/approach

3 mids
z comet for straight/us
10th anni buzzz for slight os
m2 for more os

3 fairway
opto fury for straight/us
11x teebird for straight/os
solf for more os

1 utility
GL trident

if a longer/trickier course
up to 5 drivers
tournament underworld for us w/no-fade
champ mamba for long us w/fade
lucid escape for curvy lines ending left
tournament northman for curvy lines ending right
star mamba for curvy lines ending straight

I'm a big fan of a minimalist bag. I break down my disc categories by OS/S/US. And I carry 2 putters on top of my throwers, a max weight for inside the ring, and a lighter, more US one for outside the circle and jump putts. KISS, I think this bag setup lets you become very confident with every disc in your bag. I've essentially had the same discs in the bag for at least a year...

Exactly. That is the only systematic way to build up a bag.

My question is not for someone that carries 40 disc's as that could get tedious but fore people with 12-20 discs.

You have Putters, Mid Range, Fairway and Distance drivers. Four basic categories.

How do you break down each category in your bag and why.

I'm just trying to soak up knowledge.

Are you learning anything?
Do you see some of the trends? :thmbup:

Left to right
Long D- SOS, OS, straight
Fairways- OS, stable, OS flex, stable flex, right turn only
Mids- OS, flex, straight
Utility discs- L to Rt by speed
Putters- 2 KC Pro Rocs matched weight

This thread ended up being "Hey checkout my bag!"....I love it :D

people just love declaring their bags. i thought it was pretty clear the intention was to break down how you set your bag up, not what is in your bag. this thread was interesting....not so much anymore. if only people read directions before posting. sigh.....:wall:

people just love declaring their bags. i thought it was pretty clear the intention was to break down how you set your bag up, not what is in your bag. this thread was interesting....not so much anymore. if only people read directions before posting. sigh.....:wall:

I dont think that there is too much to discuss really. We have the 4 disc types, and then we have different discs by stability ( and maybe one or so ligth weigth disc for uphill shots ) and that's really all there is to it.

The much longer part is trying discs and deciding how you fill each slot...

Putters

169 Anode - Everything

174 Pro-D Zone - Very OS
178 DX Roc - OS
169 Z Buzzz - S
176 Neutron Axis - S to US
171 Proton Tangent - S to US
171 Opto Fuse - US

Drivers

150 SOLF - Super Distance OS
150 Blizzard Boss - Super Distance OS (with forward fade)
164 SOLF - OS (with side fade)
169 Z Avenger - S to OS
172 Champ Sidewinder - S
169 Proto D4 - OS to US (S-curve)
169 Z Avenger SS - US

Fairway

170 Opto River - US
168 Opto Fury - S
172 Glo Stalker - S
169 Opto Saint - S to OS

Turn your head to the right and you're looking down into my bag. Putter in the pocket on the front.

I carry 24 discs and not a single mid-range.
7 putters (main putter, os and us driving putters, soft utility putter, 3 back up/ practice)
7 drivers (various speeds and stabilities)
10 fairway /control drivers (various stabilities, stages of wear, etc)

Do I have overlap? Heck yes I do. Do I care? Not really.

Some days, certain discs are more responsive than others. Some days I just can't throw a particular disc and some days I just feel like only throwig blue discs. I have a lot, might as well use them.

16 disc including 2 putters -
I have a weak snap so carry lots of under stable disc - I'll try to list them from stable to unstable
Drivers -
Champ X Caliber
Champ Boss
Champ Wrath
Champ Orc
Bubble Wrath
Star Valkerie
2 Champ Roadrunners
1 Star Roadrunner
Champ Sidewider
Champ Leopard
Mid Range
Champ Gator
Champ spider

I dont think that there is too much to discuss really. We have the 4 disc types, and then we have different discs by stability ( and maybe one or so ligth weigth disc for uphill shots ) and that's really all there is to it.

The much longer part is trying discs and deciding how you fill each slot...

you are right there isnt much to discuss. but i wasnt referring to the discussion being interesting. the way people breakdown their bag slots is what is interesting.
someone listing what is in their bag disc wise doesnt really breakdown how they see the discs in their bag.
for example:
Champ Teebird
well does it fly OS, S, or US for him/her? just listing gives no insight in to how they see their disc(s).

additionally, i think understand what "slots" you have in your bag allows you to see potential gaps/overlaps. and understand how others organize their bag might give you insight into potential slots you are missing.

It was somewhat interesting in the fact that I have so many skills I just can't do yet. What I was trying to see but got overwhelmed was how specialized people got.

I think a better question OR addition to what was in your bag would have been some sort of percentage that you used each disc.

But then again, each course is different. Coming from a ball golf background I know there are courses I play where I never used my 8 iron or perhaps long irons.

Plus my skill, while I've been gaining 10 feet a week inconsistently, I'm still pretty much Drive, Mid, Putt every hole. Or Drive, Mid, Mid, Putt if I get in trouble off the tee. Just today I came across two situations where I realize I need to learn a LEFT handed overhead shot. IF you think I have a noodle arm righty, you should see my lefty overhead. Pretty much went straight UP LOL

Just seeing guys with 4+ different drivers that all do different things . . . consistently to me is remarkable. I want to learn everything NOW but know this is not a sprint to knowledge.

I'm still learning my disc's and what the back up disc is if that one is not behaving on a certain day.

For instance, My Fuse refuses to let go of my fingers back hand. My 150g Leopard is a great roller (when thrown poorly) but my 168 Leo not so much. I'm loving my 174g Patroit in more open spaces. Threading the needle not so much with my current accuracy.

Each day is a new challenge and I love it. I probably would be the perfect league player in a handicap league.

Last edited:
I have 10 discs total and when I a play a course I am familiar with, I only need about 4-5 of them realistically. For my drivers I play my Avenger SS for wooded area tee-offs. For a clear area in front of the tee, I play the Groove. For windy days I tee-off with the Beast. Now to be clear I am averaging about 250-270ft for max throws. On my mid range I play the Buzzz, which is my favorite all time disc. On holes that are around 200ft I even tee-off with the Buzzz. My go-to putter is the Birdie, and when a situation arrives for a roller the Birdie really shines for me when I thumb it. The Birdie is also good for approach shots for me as well. I also play a Soft Magnet for long approaches with no wind when thrown hard, but thrown lightly it becomes super unstable. For touch putts I usually stick with the Birdie as well because the Soft Magnet is just too easy for me to screw up with my past experiences for short throws. Anways thats my 2 cents and what I like to carry in my bag most of the time.