• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

YOUR Disc Golf Design Experience

My first course design and installation was a county park called Glenwood Park in Princeton WV. Disc golf was unheard of here and I had experience with many courses because I travel for work. I pitched the idea to this park citing the benefits it would would be to the park, which at the time was very under-utilized. Rather than the park taking my suggestion and doing it they asked me to design, build, and install. Although nervous I would do a good job I gladly accepted and spent the next 4 months just walking the property. Probably went through 5 or 6 different layouts before settling on what I thought was the best. I then had to pitch the course to the county commission and they were 100% on board. Innova had our state local legend Johnny Sias come and walk my layout since they had no idea who I was and wanted to make sure it was safe. Johnny loved it. The course opened for play almost a year later july 4th 2014. Since then I've started a club and the sport is starting to really grow here.

With my name attached to the design I was then approached by Bluefield College in Bluefield WV. They were interested in a 9 hole course on their campus. I literally ran a final test run today. I asked for students who had never played to see how these holes would play on a college campus. Everything went great and baskets will be ordered next week.

While running a trilogy challenge at Glenwood 3 weeks ago I was approached by Church of God people who said they had a large piece of land about 45 minutes from me in Fayetteville, WV. The land is owned by WV Church of Gold and is a horse farm in addition to a home for under priviledged youth. The propery also hosts different youth camps. I have an appointment to walk the property for the first time tomorrow. The are for sure they want a course and have already ordered 18 innova baskets. I'll update after tomorrow how the property walk goes.

My first course design with 2 more coming.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6974

I'd also add one of the things I did most and I think is important is do not fall in love with a hole just because it's good for you. I made sure I had friends of all levels test holes. My course has 3 tee pads per hole and it was very important for me to make a course that was fun for most skill levels. Especially since the sport is so new here.

My first course design and installation was a county park called Glenwood Park in Princeton WV. Disc golf was unheard of here and I had experience with many courses because I travel for work. I pitched the idea to this park citing the benefits it would would be to the park, which at the time was very under-utilized. Rather than the park taking my suggestion and doing it they asked me to design, build, and install. Although nervous I would do a good job I gladly accepted and spent the next 4 months just walking the property. Probably went through 5 or 6 different layouts before settling on what I thought was the best. I then had to pitch the course to the county commission and they were 100% on board. Innova had our state local legend Johnny Sias come and walk my layout since they had no idea who I was and wanted to make sure it was safe. Johnny loved it. The course opened for play almost a year later july 4th 2014. Since then I've started a club and the sport is starting to really grow here.

With my name attached to the design I was then approached by Bluefield College in Bluefield WV. They were interested in a 9 hole course on their campus. I literally ran a final test run today. I asked for students who had never played to see how these holes would play on a college campus. Everything went great and baskets will be ordered next week.

While running a trilogy challenge at Glenwood 3 weeks ago I was approached by Church of God people who said they had a large piece of land about 45 minutes from me in Fayetteville, WV. The land is owned by WV Church of Gold and is a horse farm in addition to a home for under priviledged youth. The propery also hosts different youth camps. I have an appointment to walk the property for the first time tomorrow. The are for sure they want a course and have already ordered 18 innova baskets. I'll update after tomorrow how the property walk goes.

With two new courses in the works, you're making me want to head back to WV. Keep up the great work Greg. :thmbup:

Don't let people from Alamance Co., NC design your golf course. Just to be on the safe side. :|

Have been involved in: 1) redesign of a short course at a YMCA camp, 2) redesign of a short course at a county park, 3) redesign of an existing long course at a county park, and 4) design and installation of long course in county park for Worlds. At the YMCA camp, I literally moved baskets and put in tee locations solo. It's a decent little rec/camp course. At the short course at the county park we were promised the park staff would mow on a regular basis. Hasn't happened. Boy Scouts put cement pads and new signage in a year or two after the redesign, which helped immensely. However, park still doesn't do any maintenance. #3 and 4 are close to my house and are being worked on/improved constantly.

Necrobump....

2 years later and Black Bear DGC is mostly in the ground. 18 baskets in the ground. Fairways have been mostly cleared. Getting some good reviews in spite of no signs, no concrete tees, no benches, etc. Those things will all come in time.

Zombie post!

Wow I had just moved here when this thread began. ..now we have all 18 baskets out and a 9 hole pitch and putt.

Still heaps to do and polish but she shines up real nice for events.

Visits from my crew have stretched out to once every 4 months and the locals have yet to embrace the sport. Weekly open days have fallen flat so far.

Well I posted back in july 2015 with a total of 3 courses. I am now close to finishing the build of another 18 hole course in princeton wv. This project started back in October 2016, design has long been approved and I'm clearing the holes slowly. Not getting much help but it is what it is. Seems I'm starting to make somewhat of a name for myself in WV as I have been asked to design a championship course in Barboursville wv, and I've given consultation and design thoughts on 2 courses near Lewisburg wv.

Well I posted back in july 2015 with a total of 3 courses. I am now close to finishing the build of another 18 hole course in princeton wv. This project started back in October 2016, design has long been approved and I'm clearing the holes slowly. Not getting much help but it is what it is. Seems I'm starting to make somewhat of a name for myself in WV as I have been asked to design a championship course in Barboursville wv, and I've given consultation and design thoughts on 2 courses near Lewisburg wv.

I'm glad to see WV getting more courses. I have friends and family there and in VA and OH as well, so I pass through often. I've seen your course in Bluefield but have not had a chance to throw it yet. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to deuce 7 ;)

How soon do you think the Princeton one will be finished? I'll be going through that town this summer.

I'm glad to see WV getting more courses. I have friends and family there and in VA and OH as well, so I pass through often. I've seen your course in Bluefield but have not had a chance to throw it yet. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to deuce 7 ;)

How soon do you think the Princeton one will be finished? I'll be going through that town this summer.

Hey Mike, yeah the bluefield course was more of just giving novice college students something to do between classes and get them interested. Im sure you can deuce 7 lol. My main course Glenwood Park is between Princeton and Bluefield and has been open since 2014, held my first sanctioned tournament last year and May 21 of this year I am hosting one of the Next Generation Tour qualifiers.

As for the new course baskets were literally ordered today. Tomorrow im finally getting some city help clearing the last few holes. I look for the course to be in and playable in the next 2 months. I do like to hold off on permanent features like concrete pads and permanent signage in case I need to tweak anything but those features will take place in the fall. City has already agreed to both shorts and longs to be concrete and already have a sign shop ready for signs. My plan is to get it in and run a trilogy challenge at the new course to see how it handles a tournament. If it passes my tests then my sanctioned tournament (southern wv shootout) in september will take place on both the new course and Glenwood Park. They are maybe 6 mins apart.

I got pretty lucky - I basically knew the people who run the local ski hill (Mt. Zion) through the college, and they had nobody to set up the 9 baskets they have. Me and a couple classmates (who introduced me to dg), just ran out and plopped the baskets out where they were, and a wooden marker for each tee.

Those friends left, and I was the only enthusiastic one left in town to set it up. But I wanted to make it better. I made signs and redesigned it - it was an ok course at best, although an improvement from before. I tell you what though, the old hole 9 (653 ft downhill) was epic. Most of the rest of the course was meh...

After a couple years of playing more courses, plus helping UP Mountain Man finish up his course (which is phenomenal), I learned that it is best to find the best holes, then string them together. A long walk to awesome holes is better than a short walk to a boring hole. So I redesigned Mt. Zion again. I found the most fun holes (35 foot cliff drop ace run, downhill dogleg par four, mildly open bomber par four, tight window ace run, etc) and strung em' together, cut a brand new tunnel dogleg right hole out of the trees and even though there's a steep, 200' walk uphill between holes 3 and 4 (got a bench at the tee though), it's worth it. Mixed the old with the new, and now I think it's a lot more fun. Added carpet tees (took scrap carpet from the local flooring place and cut it), long and shorts, and some garbage buckets, just made it a legit course instead of just baskets on a hill.

I have also designed and pitched a beginner/intermediate 9 holer for a local underused park, but I'm waiting for them to budget it in July. Everyone liked the design; UP Mountain Man gave me great safety and design tips, including one I should've known but overlooked - always design with the worst throws in mind. That significantly changed the design for a hole that teed by a playground, and although it aimed away, the trees I planned on using as obstacles could present a bad kick out possibility that could endanger playground users, as well as the possibility for lefty griplock, etc. Always keep safety a top priority folks.

Hey Mike, yeah the bluefield course was more of just giving novice college students something to do between classes and get them interested. Im sure you can deuce 7 lol. My main course Glenwood Park is between Princeton and Bluefield and has been open since 2014, held my first sanctioned tournament last year and May 21 of this year I am hosting one of the Next Generation Tour qualifiers.

As for the new course baskets were literally ordered today. Tomorrow im finally getting some city help clearing the last few holes. I look for the course to be in and playable in the next 2 months. I do like to hold off on permanent features like concrete pads and permanent signage in case I need to tweak anything but those features will take place in the fall. City has already agreed to both shorts and longs to be concrete and already have a sign shop ready for signs. My plan is to get it in and run a trilogy challenge at the new course to see how it handles a tournament. If it passes my tests then my sanctioned tournament (southern wv shootout) in september will take place on both the new course and Glenwood Park. They are maybe 6 mins apart.

That's really awesome to hear! I'll make a point to come up and check them out sometime soon!

What would be really cool to see is a course up on Big Walker Mountain. The view up there is amazing. No idea how the cities of Bluefield would feel about that.

I got pretty lucky - I basically knew the people who run the local ski hill (Mt. Zion) through the college, and they had nobody to set up the 9 baskets they have. Me and a couple classmates (who introduced me to dg), just ran out and plopped the baskets out where they were, and a wooden marker for each tee.

Those friends left, and I was the only enthusiastic one left in town to set it up. But I wanted to make it better. I made signs and redesigned it - it was an ok course at best, although an improvement from before. I tell you what though, the old hole 9 (653 ft downhill) was epic. Most of the rest of the course was meh...

After a couple years of playing more courses, plus helping UP Mountain Man finish up his course (which is phenomenal), I learned that it is best to find the best holes, then string them together. A long walk to awesome holes is better than a short walk to a boring hole. So I redesigned Mt. Zion again. I found the most fun holes (35 foot cliff drop ace run, downhill dogleg par four, mildly open bomber par four, tight window ace run, etc) and strung em' together, cut a brand new tunnel dogleg right hole out of the trees and even though there's a steep, 200' walk uphill between holes 3 and 4 (got a bench at the tee though), it's worth it. Mixed the old with the new, and now I think it's a lot more fun. Added carpet tees (took scrap carpet from the local flooring place and cut it), long and shorts, and some garbage buckets, just made it a legit course instead of just baskets on a hill.

I have also designed and pitched a beginner/intermediate 9 holer for a local underused park, but I'm waiting for them to budget it in July. Everyone liked the design; UP Mountain Man gave me great safety and design tips, including one I should've known but overlooked - always design with the worst throws in mind. That significantly changed the design for a hole that teed by a playground, and although it aimed away, the trees I planned on using as obstacles could present a bad kick out possibility that could endanger playground users, as well as the possibility for lefty griplock, etc. Always keep safety a top priority folks.

Haven't been to Zion since August 2015. (sadly missed last year's annual U.P. vacation) When were the redesigns you're mentioning? I'm hoping to get up there in September to play again. I found it a fun 9-hole'r with amazing views. Mt. Zion was definitely a highlight of my last trip up north.

That's really awesome to hear! I'll make a point to come up and check them out sometime soon!

What would be really cool to see is a course up on Big Walker Mountain. The view up there is amazing. No idea how the cities of Bluefield would feel about that.

The views up there are awesome. I don't think it would fall under bluefield though, I'm not sure who owns the land, whether its private land or if the state or county own any land up there. I may have to find out lol

[/QUOTE]
Haven't been to Zion since August 2015. (sadly missed last year's annual U.P. vacation) When were the redesigns you're mentioning? I'm hoping to get up there in September to play again. I found it a fun 9-hole'r with amazing views. Mt. Zion was definitely a highlight of my last trip up north.

Mt. Zion back in the day (2012, 2013) had a different layout than the one you played. It had some sweet holes but had some HORRIBLE filler holes - very boring and not fun. So I redesigned it spring of 2014 to the one you played.

However after years of playing, I decided it needed to be changed. Holes 6 and 9 criss crossed, and even though there was good visual, it still could present a safety issue given the correct circumstances. Plus holes 5 and 6 were just miserable filler holes of my own doing.

So I took the best of both worlds - kept the rolling hills front 3, added a mando RHBH anny shot through the trees going up the hill (an old hole now added with a mando forcing you left), brought back hole 5, a slightly downhill ace run through a TIGHT tree hallway, the signature 30 foot cliff drop off ace run, cut a brand new 240'ish completely wooded right to left shot, and two par fours working there way back to the parking lot.

Unfortunately the top of the world hole 9 is gone, and to me that's a big sacrifice, BUT I think all the other holes are unique enough and fun enough to make up for it.

https://ibb.co/nurgDv

Another update. The new course I've been working on in Princeton, WV opened July 3rd. While I'm still awaiting signage it is very playable and I have course map uploaded. I've already seen and met almost a dozen groups from out of state who have stopped by to play. Even had a hole already get some love on Reddit. The course is posted both here and discgolfscene and has lots of pics. If anyone is every in the southern part of WV give me a shout and play my two courses here, my first Glenwood Park and my latest Princeton City Park. Mike C. you gotta come play them.