• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Favorite Basket

jeremyhilss

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So what is it? For catching a disc best, I really like Chainstars. Mach II's and III's look coolest to me; Discatchers catch good but I think they're kind of ugly honestly.

My favorite baskets have to:
1) catch great
2) be easy to see
3) be built to last

Numero Uno: Best I ever recall were the Gateway Titans at El Shaddai Ranch - beefiest baskets I've ever seen, and the cage was red... looked like it had been dipped in red, industrial grade plasti-dip. I love the Titans with 3 rows of chains. :thmbup: :clap:

2nd: orange powdercoated DGA Mach 5's like Independence Lake and Indian Camp Creek, (or red like Mt Airy, blue on the Steady Ed Course at IDGC).

3rd: Disc King King Pins - come in almost any color combo you can conceive, and have a lot of slide at the top for the chain to absorb hard hits - just not quite as beefy to fight off abuse as the above brands.

4th: Innova DisCatchers - if you can't see the yellow chastity belt, you're blind. Love these when visiting wooded courses I'm unfamiliar with. If you hate the sound of your disc hitting it, maybe you'd have preferred a long come-back? ...'cause that shot would have sailed long on a ChainStar or DGA (although I have been saved by a lollipop a few times).

5th: Discraft ChainStars - essentially Mach 5's with no color (that I've ever seen) and no lollipop.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103066&highlight=Titan

Last edited:
Vortex baskets. Got a chance to check them out at Charlevoix last summer. Thought they might be a gimmick, but they were sticky.

My favorite baskets have to:
1) catch great
2) be easy to see
3) be built to last

Numero Uno: Best I ever recall were the Gateway Titans at El Shaddai Ranch - beefiest baskets I've ever seen, and the cage was red... looked like it had been dipped in red, industrial grade plasti-dip. I love the Titans with 3 rows of chains. :thmbup: :clap:

2nd: orange powdercoated DGA Mach 5's like Independence Lake and Indian Camp Creek, (or red like Mt Airy, blue on the Steady Ed Course at IDGC).

3rd: Disc King King Pins - come in almost any color combo you can conceive, and have a lot of slide at the top for the chain to absorb hard hits - just not quite as beefy to fight off abuse as the above brands.

4th: Innova DisCatchers - if you can't see the yellow chastity belt, you're blind. Love these when visiting wooded courses I'm unfamiliar with. If you hate the sound of your disc hitting it, maybe you'd have preferred a long come-back? ...'cause that shot would have sailed long on a ChainStar or DGA (although I have been saved by a lollipop a few times).

5th: Discraft ChainStars - essentially Mach 5's with no color (that I've ever seen) and no lollipop.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103066&highlight=Titan

Chainstars are pretty similar to the DGA's but the DGA's seem to have a smaller radius circle of inside chains that hangs down vertically in the middle and doesn't connect in the middle. I'm not sure how much that affects catching the discs compared to another set of chains inside the outer ones that also connect to the pole.

Catching ability is not #1 for me. It is durability, looks, and sound. The winner is the powder-coated Mach III.

BogeyNoMore - those are Mach IIIs at Indy Lake..

I wish there were more Gateway Titans on the courses. It's a great basket...durable, catches well, and great colors. I have one in my backyard and love it.

BogeyNoMore - those are Mach IIIs at Indy Lake..
my bad, and thanks :eek: My point is really that DGA's are nice baskets... in the open. I hate looking for them in the woods, especially when you're teeing from an open sunny area, and the basket's in the shade of the woods.

Amazing how much that splash of color helps. Playing all three courses at IDGC drives that point home like few other examples I can think of. You spend more time looking for the pin on the Warner course than you do on the other two courses combined.

I wish there were more Gateway Titans on the courses. It's a great basket...durable, catches well, and great colors. I have one in my backyard and love it.
^this. The ones I saw at Perkerson (in ATL), Foundation Park (Centralia), and Carrollton were the beefiest baskets I've seen anywhere, with 3 sets of chains, but only El Shaddai Ranch had colored Titans, and as I said above, color is really nice in the woods. :)

Catching ability won't matter much to me until they make a basket that can reach out 4' and grab my putt as it tries to fly by. I can only assume some of you are hitting chains a lot more often than I do.

For real. The big flat band lays high putts in front of the basket... it was never going in, it was either sailing by or dropping right there. These are the most prevalent in my area so I prefer them.

Mach 2 new are my favorite. Not because they are the best, but because they are the most affordable good basket. Course expansion and establishment are my priorities.

Discatchers are my LEAST favorite because Innova has been shipping incorrect hardware with them for the past three years. The incorrect hardware allows a lot of wobble and Innova have been total buttheads about rectifying the problem. They provide suggestions about how to remedy the wobble but won't ship proper hardware.

Mach 2 new are my favorite. Not because they are the best, but because they are the most affordable good basket. Course expansion and establishment are my priorities.

Discatchers are my LEAST favorite because Innova has been shipping incorrect hardware with them for the past three years. The incorrect hardware allows a lot of wobble and Innova have been total buttheads about rectifying the problem. They provide suggestions about how to remedy the wobble but won't ship proper hardware.

to my knowledge, the baskets are designed to give a little bit...which actually allows them to perform better and be a bit more durable as every bump and grab doesn't stress the entire basket

I hate looking for them in the woods, but I have my best putting days with Mach III's. The big yellow band on Discathers grab my attention too much while putting.

to my knowledge, the baskets are designed to give a little bit...which actually allows them to perform better and be a bit more durable as every bump and grab doesn't stress the entire basket

Yes little a wobble is good a lot of wobble is bad. When the self tapping set screws are so small they don't even make contact with the hole drilled in the pole, a lot of wobble happens. Innova has seen this and other pics, they do not care.

Attachments

• Discatcher tap screw.jpg
    Discatcher tap screw.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 60
Yes little a wobble is good a lot of wobble is bad. When the self tapping set screws are so small they don't even make contact with the hole drilled in the pole, a lot of wobble happens. Innova has seen this and other pics, they do not care.

If you rotate the top 180 deg and use the set screw against the pole and not where a hole is, you will eliminate the wobble.

That's what we did, but we shouldn't have had to. Innova should have sent correct hardware as part of their product.

I didn't use the instructions but are you sure you were supposed to put the set screw into the hole? Even if it was a smaller hole or larger hardware with the threaded hole on the outer tube it would not achieve anything. You want the set screw against a solid pole, it is the only logical way for it to eliminate wobble.

I didn't use the instructions but are you sure you were supposed to put the set screw into the hole? Even if it was a smaller hole or larger hardware with the threaded hole on the outer tube it would not achieve anything. You want the set screw against a solid pole, it is the only logical way for it to eliminate wobble.

I misused the term when i said "self tapping set screws" should have said "self tapping screws". Set screws are not part of Discatcher baskets.

For any course that is new to me, visibility is the most important trait for a basket. So I would prefer Innova baskets on a new course. For a home course I would prefer Mach Vs because they seem to catch best in my experience. My ideal basket would be a Mach V with a bright flag on top which would be visible and catch well.