• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Ace

My first was a total fluke, since then I think it's more skill. First one was a 273' shot into a clump of trees. Shanked it WAY right, but the wind was coming from the right. A HUGE gust picked up my disc and threw it in the basket. No chains, just sticking straight up in the bottom of the cage!

83b6d23e_m.jpg
Poor House, hole 3, 155ft (lol) January 1st, 2013, 7 months of playing. It was snowing that day and I threw my z force up the hill with what felt like it was perfect. I had hit the pole once, basket twice, chains twice, and the yellow belt once. I saw sold chains but had to sprint up the hill to see if it dropped out. Once I saw that bright green in the basket I just yelled and collapsed into the snow in front of my girlfriend and best friend. What a great way to start the new year. 8:00 am eastern time, possibly the first ace of the 2013.

My first two "aces" were actually "cubby aces", both were my second drive on a hole and both I would consider more luck than skill. They both occurred in my first summer of disc golf after starting the previous fall. They were both any forehand shots with drivers on short holes that I normally play with mids now. It took me two more years to get my first real ace and then I got another one shortly after that. Both with mids on holes I've come close to acing before and I would attribute those more to skill than luck.

To get aces on a consistent basis (at least once a year) you need a combination of skill to be getting the disc close enough to the basket, frequency of rounds to give yourself more chances, and a little bit of luck.

First ace was maybe 7 or 8 years ago, so I don't really remember the details. It was either #3 or #6 at Willow Stream (under 200' either way). If it was #6, it was a purple Millenium/Omega driver of some sort. 75% sure that was the same disc for #3, but who knows.

Witnesses at #6 were just some park goers who cheered, #3 was all alone.

I would give aces an 80% skill, 20% luck ratio. And most of the luck is actually staying in the chains/bucket.

My firsts ace was a night round with no glow discs or anything marking the basket. I big RHFH hyzer on about a 300' hole, lost sight of it after a short while and heard the chains out of the darkness. It was a great first ace.

Got my first about six months ago with a champion tee-bird, got my second later the same day. I say it is a little of both luck and skill, you know where you would like the disc to go. A friend of mine told me an ace is just an errant shot, but the basket gets in the way

I got my first ace about six months into my DG addiction. Of course I was alone since no one I knew wanted to play in the drizzling rain on a cold Ohio day in March.....no whitneses and no 5 bucks but I jumped around and screamed like a little girl on the otherwise quiet and empty course. It was hole 3 at Simsbury DGC, Pickerington Ohio. 280' slight downhill with nasty rough on both sides and the basket tucked to the right. Threw my trusty DX Stingray flat down the center and watched it bend right and splash chains dead center.

My first ace was made on a practice round, throwing all my mids at an uphill basket (hole 4, Valmont in Boulder, CO) hitting it with a pro-d Buzzz. Some guy out for a lunch round with his friends had hit the hole less than 5 minutes before. It was kind of anti-climactic.

My first "real" ace, first throw from the tee, playing a real round with a witness, etc, came at the same course, #6. It is a big anny around a passel of trees. For me, as a LHBH chucker, it is a friendly little skip shot. I heard it,but did not see it or believe it until I found my Wraith in the pan. I threw a pro plastic wraith, 168 g. I use that disc on EVERY round. I think it would be sad if I retired it, and it didn't get to fly any more :)

little skill and a little luck = ACE

my first was with an MVP Axis I just got for the first time. Aced with it on the first day using it!

Tomorrow my goal is to get my first Left handed Ace... Gonna play all day in hopes I make it happen. :\

First ace Johnson rd Hole 5, 300' through the trees with Rival, pretty shot. Started playing (sporadically) almost 20years ago, but stopped and picked it back up 5-6 months ago. Playing a lot lately and was the first in my group of regulars to hit an ace. I have seen some ugly and short aces, but this one looked like I knew what I was doing!:)

Oh and as far as ugly and short aces go, I would take any ace I could get!:eek:

Hit my first ace last night playing glow at one of our local courses. It was about 230 not sure if the sign is right but it was sick none the less. Got it with my trusty DX Glow Roc that I use during the day.

First - it was a fluke

Got my first at Darnestown Swim and Racquet, hole #2, 261 feet flat with trees lining each side of the fairway. The basket is at the left on the back just where the trees begin again. The trouble here is that the left edge of the fairway has a sharp downslope with nasty undergrowth. I am primarily RHBH and at the time I was struggling with a big meathook. So I decided to flick instead and I fired a beat-in Beast right along the left edge of the fairway expecting a nice break back to the middle. I threw it harder than expected and it hugged the tree line until just before the basket when it gently swerved off into the heart of the chains. I was shocked and pleased - it was definitely a fluke.

First ace was hole 1004 the first time I (and friends) broke the world record for most holes played in a day. I turned to the guy who was filming us for the local NBC station and asked if he had it on film. He did not, and he knew I was the only one of us without an ace. The "oh fudge" look on his face was priceless. At least it was in front of about 50 people, so I had a witness or two. My friend's dad says to me "Hey, I was looking away, and I didn't see your drive, what happened?" Whadda punk :)

200 feet, hole 5 at Wabun Picnic Area.

To this day, I figure it's 50% skill, 50% mother nature. If you think of how much the wind and elements play into your throws, it makes sense.

Last edited:
First ace was hole 1004 the first time I (and friends) broke the world record for most holes played in a day. I turned to the guy who was filming us for the local NBC station and asked if he had it on film. He did not, and he knew I was the only one of us without an ace. The "oh fudge" look on his face was priceless. At least it was in front of about 50 people, so I had a witness or two. My friend's dad says to me "Hey, I was looking away, and I didn't see your drive, what happened?" Whadda punk :)

200 feet, hole 5 at Wabun Picnic Area.

To this day, I figure it's 50% skill, 50% mother nature. If you think of how much the wind and elements play into your throws, it makes sense.
sooo is that record in the guiness book?

My first ace was #8 at Circle C from the shorts. 262 feet of awesomeness. Elite Z Buzz with 5 of my friends watching. I have three aces so far, and I don't consider any of them lucky. If I can reach the basket in one throw, I'm almost always trying to ace it. The disc may go 50 feet past the basket if I miss, but that's gonna happen. Of the thousands of baskets that I've thrown at, the 3 that stuck have made every throw worth it. There is nothing like the feeling of seeing your disc actually stick in the basket.

Hole 6 at David Imbrock Memorial DGC in Kendallville, IN (Bixler Lake Park). The shot is mostly blind as the basket is hidden behind trees. It's a short hole so I threw an overstable driver, Monster, around the trees and drained it. The sound was sweet, but had to move to confirm it stayed in the basket. Nice feeling. (Got another one at Lincoln Ridge in October 2012 on no. 4...awesome feeling)

Old #12 across gully at Timmons Park in 2006 which was about 90' -125' I would guess with a Champ Rhyno. Many people never counted this short hole as an ace but I had only been playing about 6 months so I still count it. Never saw the guys again that witnessed it because I think they were students at Furman or Wofford. I gave the disc to a friend a few years ago who had just started playing and he swears it is a curse because he has never had an ace.

Latest posts