• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Ace

8 months of playing pretty damn obsessively and lots of metal and chains....but no cigar.
Good luck man ~ you've been playing way longer than me so I think you're overdue!

My first ace came in a tournament, I had just had three very bad hole that took me out of any chance of winning the tournament. I made the silly comment "might as well ace run now" 2 holes later...
Old Oaks course Hole 3 at Blue Angle Park (12 on the pines now), Split fairway in the woods on a maybe 250' hole. I threw a Hyzer as hard as I could with a Pro Katana and never heard a thing, no cheers, no chains, nothing. About half way down the fairway I noticed it siting in the basket. The guys on the card ahead said it just hit where the pole and cage meet and just stuck, they thought it was an up shot. Got a nice $75 from the ace pot.

Took 3 years and 11 more aces to get another one in a tournament.

Hole 6 at Delaveaga one misty morning. Gold colored, Gold Line Vision from latitude 64. In the short right position, ~375 feet, but steady, smooth downhill so well reachable for my ~300 feet drives. Thought I had thrown it too hard and might be in the ravine behind or the road. Yelled "Go In!" and it hit real low on the chains and just stayed put. It was sort of lucky for sure - too long, but I will take it. My buddy was there and we were high fiving and jumping around - made my day and more!

I know a guy that has been playing casually for pretty much all his life - relative of a Disc Golf HoFer - never had an Ace. But his 11 year old son has two on the shortest position on hole 12 at Dela. So don't feel bad. I saw one of the moderators on this forum say he had something like 150 Aces! Incredible!

First ace ever this morning!!!! Hole 3 at Limona park, which is a low ceiling hyzer line. Took an opto trident around a close oak, faded inside a second oak, and one skip into the chains!!! Had a brief second of disbelief, before yelling out YES!!! A great feeling indeed!

Grand Woods Park (Lansing, MI), April, 1996, Hole #16. Tomahawked 167g yellow Whippet over trees to a sky opening to the right...It banked left like it's supposed to and fell hard into the Mach III. CHING!!! I can still see it in my mind like it was a few weeks ago.

Of course, no witnesses. I lost the Whippet in #6's pond within a month or so.

Old course at Shore Acres...99 ft straight ahead...hit it with a champ banshee flick...full power...love the good old days :)

It was kinda a bum, but my first ace was on an object course. About 200ft estimated. Star Boss on a big forehand hyzer around a tree. Smacked right into the narrow tree trunk that was the object.

Didn't get the satisfaction of the chains rattling, but the shot was awesome.

My first ace

My first ace was a real surprise. There was a large group of people ahead of me that was moving real slow at the Westchester Lagoon, of Anchorage Alaska. They had finished the hole, but lingered around the basket. After waiting for 5 minutes I'd had enough. I yelled and threw. It was a 80 yard hyzer shot with a 171 champ TeeBird . As the disc approached the basket I realized that it was going to either smash a person or smash chains. It was a feeling of dread mixed with excitement. The only space that I wouldn't hit someone was directly in front of the basket. Nobody saw it coming, by the looks of their faces. Since, then I have thrown 3 more. My last 2 were just this week, but that one was by far the best.

I got my first ace a few weeks ago in the Carolina Clash, hole 3 Bradford. I've been playing for 3 years and have hit the basket/chains every way possible and none of them stuck. I'm glad I finally nailed one, and it was in a pdga tournament. I hyzer flipped an esp meteor 295ft, smash!!!!!

My first ace was a few months after I started playing. It was a backhand Teebird on a 205' straight shot that I threw hyzer into a bunch of trees on the right. It miraculasly missed it all and went in the basket

First ace came after I had been playing for about 3 years. It was hole 5 on the University of Northern Colorado course. Short 174 foot hole through a narrow slot in some trees. Three my Star Aviar Driver dead straight at the basket for the ace. I had hit metal or chains on that basket from the tee 5 or 6 times before. It felt so good to finally ace that hole.

Had my first one on a 145 ft straight, open hole with a Leopard. It was basically an approach type shot, so I have to say that one was mostly skill.

My one and only ace was last year, had only been playing about 3 months and it was a champ teebird straight at a 165ft hole, looked great and been chasing that feeling ever since!

Finally today. 183 footer in the woods with a 175 dx stingray. Took almost 8 years.

Got my first ace last month after playing for about 8 years also. 216 ft hyzer with a Hornet. Wrapped the fade around some trees and it sliced in. Friends heard it, but I was the only one with a view to actually see it go in.

Ace #1: Thomahawk'd my Discraft Tracer on hole 11 (now RIP) at Karst Farm DGP in Bloomington, IN in the late 90's. Deeply wooden area around pin, heard chains and cheered.

Ace #2: Flex'd a Champ Valkyrie on hole 4 at Brookside Park in Indianapolis, IN a few years later. 267ft across a ravine. I would probably power down a midrange on it now.

Going on a 10 year dry spell, tons of chain outs and band hits but no more aces.

Hole 23 at Delaveaga in the right position, bout 300-315ish with a blind basket. Threw an Axis off the tee (first round I had it) and it turned just a little bit, got through the gap in the trees and that was the last I saw it until I started walking to the hole and my buddy told me that my disc was sitting in the basket. Insanity ensued.

My first Ace was waaaaayyyy back in the year 2000 at the Blue Mountain course in Missoula, MT. I was in high school and we used to go up there and fart around all the time, not really knowing what we were doing. The course is actually a lot longer now, but there was one hole that was about 290 and was in the middle of the pack length-wise (would know be the third shortest hole on the course)

Everyone who was anyone had an Archangel in the bag at that time, and it's what I threw. It was a shallow hyzer (I thought that's how everyone threw at the time) and it glanced off a tree and sunk in dead center on the chains, giving me two giant chunks out of my DX AA. The crazy thing was the very next day, on the same hole, with the same disc, I aced it again on a totally different shot.

it would be 2012 before I hit another hole-in-one, and I had 6 in 2012 and 3 so far this year.

Latest posts