• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Your GoTo Speed 9/10 Driver

For me:
Escape calmer conditions
Thunderbird in stronger winds

I wouldn't even compare the 2 of them though. I would also say that the LF is nice as well for this. I prefer the SOLF's. You will just have to test some molds out to see what fits you.

I'm really digging the Nemesis right now. The Sparkles are pretty flippy and make a good roller, but the glows came out considerably more stable (read: straight). Just a bit of turn with matching fade.

Been messing around with a Phenom as well (speed 9 I believe). Just dead nuts straight. No turn, no fade. Reminds me of a TL.

I love my Volt.....but cannot find a Volt to fly like mine does.
GL Saint is a great straight flyer, but does not have much fade.
Star TL is my now my back up Volt.

Actually I have 3 "go to" speed 9/10 drivers.

LHFH

When I want to finish straight to left nothing beats the Flick
When I want a hard anny but unfortunately not real long it's the Orc all day, preferrably a 170g in Star plastic.
And for when I want a shorter, smooth, lazy helix it's a 150ish FLX Avenger.

If I had to choose just one it would be the Flick. Always the Flick!

I've always loved champion Orcs. I lost my third one earlier this year and replaced it with a G-Star Orc so I could try it out, but that just isn't the same thing... too flippy. I haven't really needed it recently for the courses I've been playing, but I definitely want to get another champ Orc soon.

Nice to see all the Orc love. My 2 Champ Orcs were both trades from locals. And no one that I know of around these parts throws a Star Orc. I tried the G Star as well and also found it a bit too flippy. From what I can tell around here a Wraith may be the most popular disc for this slot. I know, I know, a Wraith is a speed 11.

PD's all day, usually have a semi beat P line, a semi beat shield stamp S line, and a third run C line for wind.

Speed 9/10 is my bread and butter -- I rarely throw anything faster.

From most OS to flippiest, I throw:

175 Sexton Firebird - Flat, grippy, has some straight in it with true FB wind resistance and fade.
172 Patent # SPD - Straight (small turn) to forward fade/skip
169 First Run SOLF - Barstamp, solid OS. Flies like the SPD with more bite right now, but breaking in.
175 1.1 QOLF - Flat, fast, bright chartreuse. Workhorse. Turn and come back.
175 1.9 SOLS - Glide for days turnover/hyzerflip bomber.
175 pink Star Roadrunner with a Unicorn on it - Turnovers, late turn hyzerflips, rollers.

I can sub a 1.3 QOLF in for the PD and not really miss a beat, except the PD skips better. And a beefy CPD can swap in for the Sexton FB. The beauty of the FB, PD, OLF combo is that they all share the same bottom/wing and feel incredibly similar on release.

But for exactly what OP seems to be asking for, I'd say SPD, Flat JL CPD (6th Run), or 1.2 or 1.3 QOLF (1.2 will have a touch of early turn, 1.3 will not), or early run SOLF. More beef? Other CPDs.

Volt if I had to only have 1. It's the most versatile, amazing single control driver out there.

I use my Escape for long annys or tunnels where I need a little turn to sneak around a tree. Great disc, but not as good with wind.

Wrath is also superb, but again, not as workable as the Volt.

S-PD for me. Orc only if I have a wide open field shot and want controlled distance, since it has more left to right movement. (but I can push it out a little further)

Speed 8-9 is the favorite part of my bag too. Three of my favorite discs are in this range:

Overstable: Westside VIP Stag (8/6/0/3)
Stable: DD Lucid Escape (9/5/-0.5/2)
Understable: Westside Tournament Hatchet (9/6/-2/2)

I don't have anything at 10, but I bag a Star and a GStar Archon at speed 11. But honestly, those discs are getting crowded out by by 8-9 speeds.

PD! Get one in P-line to start with, beat it in, then get an S-line.

So I'm trying to fill a crucial spot in my bag: A reliable speed 9 or 10 driver for straight flight with a reliable fade. Not talking Firebirds here obviously. Right now I'm going back and forth between a Lucid Escape and a Champ Thunderbird which I'm working on breaking in. I'm liking the Escape but wanted to get some other opinions as well.

My go-to is a trio of Fairways: Hatchet, Saint and SaintPro. Of these, the SaintPro is my straight flight with reliable fade choice...

I don't carry a 9/10 that isn't a Firebird, if I did though it would be a Star Orc or S PD.

Both could easily for in this slot and I like the a lot. I find that I can get good enough distance with my Stags that the gap to my Wraiths is relatively small.

Would carry one of the above if I only wanted one BH driver though.

this is interesting to me:

I basically stopped throwing HS drivers because 9/10s are so close in distance and so much better with control. Sound like other folks skip the 9/10 for those few extra feet in distance. When I throw Destroyers and Wraiths, I can expect maybe 15-30 feet extra D. There aren't that many holes where that changes my approach or my scoring.

Still in the vein of this thread, why choose 11/12s over 9/10s, or vise-versa?

See that's the gap I'm debating on! I've got Star Terns, a nice beat ESP Nuke and a Gold Line Halo that serve for my big open fairway shots. I got tired of trying to shape Wraiths and now that I'm discing down I see a good improvement in my scoring. I'm loving the Escape but with wind it's troubling.