• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Oddest player group?

Far less dramatic, but I played in a tournament group where all four players were named David.

We did that intentionally to four 'John's once when setting up the board for an unsanctioned tourney. Every time we swung by their group, we'd ask, "who's leading the card?" They were good sports, would grin & reply, "John is."

There is a guy in our Wednesday night league that tells everyone about his "5150" took 6 cops to subdue him. Oh and according to his Dr he should have died 3 years ago. He is also very proud of his pax vapor. He can smoke and no one even knows it.

You're not from Stl area are you? I SWEAR I was told a very similar story one time when I played their leagues

I played a round with three hackers that all wore swimsuits and flip flops. It was on a course with a few water hazards and by their reckoning one of them was going to throw into the water on every water hole, so swimsuits seemed smart. I played along just to watch. Yeah, it went just as they thought. On every single water hole one guy or more would end up in the pond. It was pretty comedic.

As an aside, during that round I found a dragon stuck in a tree above one of the ponds.

You're not from Stl area are you? I SWEAR I was told a very similar story one time when I played their leagues

Indianapolis, not sure where the guys is from. Could be the same guy. Nice enough guy but three holes in its like shut up already. He is a story topper. No matter how good your story is he will try to top it.

We did that intentionally to four 'John's once when setting up the board for an unsanctioned tourney. Every time we swung by their group, we'd ask, "who's leading the card?" They were good sports, would grin & reply, "John is."

Ours was happenstance, in a later round of the tournament. We called each other by our last initial: The group consisted of C, H, L, and S.

I played a course about 75 miles away from my home course today. I was at the first tee when a young guy (I'm 51 and he was 20) with 2 discs, a blizzard destroyer and a king. We spent the first few holes talking golf, and I offered my roc' tee bird and saint on various throws. At hole 6 his buddy showed up.he was 21' and looked rough in a hard-living way.
As we played, I asked where they graduated high school. Turns out guy #1 got expelled and spent various stints in jail. Guy #2 dropped out in 8th grade, got a GED, had a 14 month daughter and no job and had several visits to jail. both were in AA and trying to get on their feet. They lamented the horrible choices they made in years 13-17' and they said they played disc golf almost every day to stay out of trouble.

At the 18th tee box, we gave the usual high-fives. One of the guys then said if we saw you two years ago, we probably would've robbed you. Amazing what kind of people you meet playing disc golf. What was your most mismatched group?

instead of robbing disc golfers, they now rob tennis players.

Every time I get paired with Boomer and his screaming neck tattoo, it ties the previous record.
He's an absolute treat that I'm sure the entire mid-Missouri disc golf community is familiar with.

Nothing too weird. I have played with some people who looked like the might have murdered me in other circumstances.

I've played with guys that I'm pretty sure had not taken a bath in over a year. It's that BO so bad it makes you gag and will physically knock you off your feet.

One of my good playing partners ALWAYS out drives me by about 10-15 feet on long holes. Always.

Guys half my age, guys twice my age.

One time at a tournament the TD mentioned that a Cop was playing so be on your best behavior (hint, hint, don't be smoking anything funny). Then in my four I'm talking to one of the guys. Turned out to be the Cop. Nice dude.

Also got the same guy multiple times at different tournaments who on every hole no matter how he shot would then tell the group the story of an awesome shot he'd had on this hole before or if it was a bad show how good he usually throws this hole. Dude never shut up the whole round.

And one time I played with a guy who tried to play music during the round. Totally weird. Can't believe no ones found the body yet.

I think we have probably all played with the guy that tells about all the awesome throws he has had on every hole. At league last week a guy told me he had aced the hole we were about to throw 13 times...didn't even come within 30' of the pin. Same guy was also one of the ones that doesn't shut up and one ups his OWN stories.

Far less dramatic, but I played in a tournament group where all four players were named David.

That's funny...I had a group in a tourney where we were all named Andrew. We had two Andys, one A.J. and one Drew.

This past weekend I played in a group in MA2 where I was the youngest player by a good 5 years...I'm 30.

I played in a ninesome once at a homegrown event.
I played in a foursome once, I had 20 discs, they had 1 each.
I am slowly becoming the only MPM in my groups not to use a baby carriage.

Reviewer Guy

Here's an odd bird… Reviewer Guy

While you're warming up he's standing on the tee squinting through a funny looking yellow elevation finder. He's achingly slow, because he's constantly measuring things, noting wildlife, making incessant notes on his special review score card… foursomes often pass him when he's playing single. He's constantly measuring things like forced layups or foliage density. He's even been known to carry a clipboard to the course! Lots of times you don't know where he wandered to, or why, but you'll find him doing weird things like stretching his arms out to measure the pinch point between 2 trees on the fairway. Sometimes you have to wait around for him to pace out the entire hole length. On uphill slopes he whips out his hand held elevation measuring gizmo, he takes a sighting, moves forward to a spot about 6 ft. higher, and repeats this until he gets to the top. You should see him reverse the process on downhill holes! If you lose your disc in the shule this guy usually can't help you because he was too busy examining something else. He can be one of the least social guys you'll meet on the course. He is constantly looking around, making notes, and seems to have lots on his mind. Ask him his opinion about something and he's liable to reply "Uh huh" with a faraway look down the fairway. Most topics about anything other than the course are liable to just fall flat. When he does talk, though, Reviewer guy been known to go off on long discourses filled with arcane acronyms like the ATG (Around The Green) shots, CF (Challenge Factors), SPD (Scratch Player Difficulty), and especially Gold CR (Close Range) Par. Don't you dare get him started talking about par! More than likely he'll give you a long discourse you how the course would be improved by using the Close Range Par method. As you finally finish, and you've used up way more time than you ever thought a round could take, before you leave he hands you a DGCR business card with his name on it: Olorin

floater dude!

I played a round with three hackers that all wore swimsuits and flip flops. It was on a course with a few water hazards and by their reckoning one of them was going to throw into the water on every water hole, so swimsuits seemed smart. I played along just to watch. Yeah, it went just as they thought. On every single water hole one guy or more would end up in the pond. It was pretty comedic.

As an aside, during that round I found a dragon stuck in a tree above one of the ponds.
I heard they float (Dragons)!