• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your PDGA 'tax' dollars at work (now hijack free)

But why do you not care what they are eating or flying?

Should they be eating balogna sandwichs and taking greyhound??
Who said I didn't care? The document I read didn't specifically discuss these issues, so it would be imprudent of me to comment upon them. Maybe they do take the bus & eat bologna sandwiches.

As strange as it may seem, our boy Scoot_er summed it up extremely concisely on the NEFA board:
Scoot_er said:
In the current environment, no alcohol on the expense reports would seem to be the best way to go. You never have to defend a "no booze" policy. The best defense is not needing one in the first place.

Who said I didn't care? The document I read didn't specifically discuss these issues, so it would be imprudent of me to comment upon them. Maybe they do take the bus & eat bologna sandwiches.

As strange as it may seem, our boy Scoot_er summed it up extremely concisely on the NEFA board:

Who is the "Scoot_er" character going around ruining my bad reputation???

Don't tell me it is NEFA's Matt Hall.......no really someone said one of my discs was at MS and supposedly it is another Matt Hall's disc.

I mean you can't expect me to just volunteer for an unpaid job for the love of the game and to help promote the sport we all love. I'm an objectivist.

I love bob decker's logic. they should be able to spend the money on cocaine and strippers. After all they ARE using their vacation time...

Knowing Bob personally (he's like an hour from me), I'm kind of surprised by his take on this. I mean, he's a CPA after all. He's also pretty strict on making sure the local club here doesn't go into the red on their sanctioned events. That being said, I can understand his position that time is money, and time spent attending to a volunteer position that has no paycheck attached, means you aren't making any, or you're burning leave from your job.

The truth is, if you expect volunteers (and this applies to your tournament directors, staff, local leagues as well) to do something for you, and there's no perks attached for their efforts, well...don't be surprised if you eventually don't have any volunteers.

Knowing Bob personally (he's like an hour from me), I'm kind of surprised by his take on this. I mean, he's a CPA after all. He's also pretty strict on making sure the local club here doesn't go into the red on their sanctioned events. That being said, I can understand his position that time is money, and time spent attending to a volunteer position that has no paycheck attached, means you aren't making any, or you're burning leave from your job.

The truth is, if you expect volunteers (and this applies to your tournament directors, staff, local leagues as well) to do something for you, and there's no perks attached for their efforts, well...don't be surprised if you eventually don't have any volunteers.

So he does play?

I notice Brian Graham played in Japan........I guess they already had a photographer.

So, those opposed to volunteers eating and drinking your member fees:

Would you rather them not meet at all?

Granted I don't think anything they went over is earth shattering at all, if they didn't meet the sport certainly would not move forward.

So...spending "your" money to get a jack & coke might eventually bring forth "the" thing that breaks the sport through.

Rough membership $693k
4 drinks x 4 people x 3 days $288

I mean you can't expect me to just volunteer for an unpaid job for the love of the game and to help promote the sport we all love. I'm an objectivist.

You don't sound like an Objectivist to me. Seems like you would volunteer to help promote something you loved if were an Objectivist.

I mean to use an analogy, I buy the guy I'm interested in a drink, not the guys he's with just to get them to come back to the club.

I couldn't disagree more.They have perks, they get to tell you "if you don't like it our way start your own d@mn organization". Who doesn't want a job where you can tell your customers (constituents) to pound sand, paid or unpaid?

I'd prefer them to be paid positions and make them responsible for their own expenses rather than some nebulous concept of "perks on demand". Or, you can trust them to be reasonable about expenses (especially in this economy) as the three members in the minority were attempting. JMO.

Seems like to me that being on a BoD should warrant privileges. I mean... I live in Louisiana so I can tell you a thing or two about corrupt government. They want free drinks, fine. It's not going to break the budget. Idealism is great but there should be perks, even if it is only worth $20 a head, to being a part of a major organization. Just my two cents.