• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your PDGA 'tax' dollars at work (now hijack free)

I couldn't disagree more.They have perks, they get to tell you "if you don't like it our way start your own d@mn organization". Who doesn't want a job where you can tell your customers (constituents) to pound sand, paid or unpaid?
Well, if the customers (constituents) are dissatisfied with the way things are running, then they have three avenues to correct matters.

1. Vote for people to replace the current BOD members that you think are numbskulls. (Elections are next month in fact, and half of the BOD spots should be up).
2. Run for the BOD seat themselves and hope the customers (constituents) like you better than other candidates. Then promise to at least attempt to make the changes you campaigned for.
3. Stop paying for membership to the PDGA or playing in their tournaments until you get your way to your satisfaction, on whatever chicanery the PDGA is doing that you currently disapprove of.

That's the problem with 95 percent of the customers (constituents). They're all talk and no action. Whine, bitch, moan, whine, bitch, moan, on the internet, which is cheap and easy, but somehow the corrupt incumbents keep their seats, and everyone plunks down another $50-75 the following year for another spoonful of PDGA medicine. I guess it doesn't taste that bad after all.

What's in it for me personally? I can already play the local course and don't need the PDGA for that.

Then maybe you shouldn't volunteer. But if you didn't like the way the PDGA did things and found joy in "making it right", maybe it would directly benefit you to volunteer.

Skype + webcam. It is 2010 isn't it?

Umm, have you ever had a teleconference? I usually twiddle my thumbs and surf the web and generally ignore the goings on...and mine are generally <1hr.

Do this for 8+ hours a day 3 days in a row and I can guaran-damn-tee that there will be more alcohol consumed and less work done than flying down and meeting face to face.

Seems like to me that being on a BoD should warrant privileges. I mean... I live in Louisiana so I can tell you a thing or two about corrupt government. They want free drinks, fine. It's not going to break the budget. Idealism is great but there should be perks, even if it is only worth $20 a head, to being a part of a major organization. Just my two cents.

How about some perks for those of us who have been in the trenches (City Commission meetings, Parks Dept. meetings, club meetings, one-on-one with shovels or buckets mixing concrete {that includes cement}) doing the grunt work of getting the courses installed and maintained?

"WHERE'S MY FREE DRINKS?"

Don't ever think that the pDGA BOD is coming to your town to help you mix concrete.

For volunteering at the local course I get invited to a volunteer dinner held by the town parks and rec dept. Free food and drinks, some fun games (we usually set up a putting basket) and live music.

How about some perks for those of us who have been in the trenches (City Commission meetings, Parks Dept. meetings, club meetings, one-on-one with shovels or buckets mixing concrete {that includes cement}) doing the grunt work of getting the courses installed and maintained?

"WHERE'S MY FREE DRINKS?"

Don't ever think that the pDGA BOD is coming to your town to help you mix concrete.

With your long-time involvement and dedication to the sport you should run for a spot. The system is in place, isn't it a bit early in the evolution of the sport to be throwing it away and deeming it broken? :thmbup: Hooray progress!

Do we even know how much money gets spent on booze by this Board of Directors? I understand the "principle of the thing" is a significant motivator for people, but a lot of us, maybe a majority, would immediately stop caring about the issue if the budget came out and the line for alcoholic beverages came out at $50 spread among 7 directors. On the other hand, if it were revealed that they're spending $1000's on booze, a lot of us who don't currently care would start caring in a hurry.

So I tend to agree with BillnChristy on this question until I see some indication of the kind of money we're talking about. Wine with a couple of dinners during a single weekend of the year is not going to bother many people. On the other hand, the defensive, four-letter laden response early in this thread may be symptomatic of a guilty conscience.

Well, that's the reason that most people don't give a **** about much. So basically you're saying you won't care as long as they keep it hidden, or can so easily give you a falsified number. Fantastic, let's not stick up for anything right, we might as well let the gas and oil companies to continue drilling, especially in the ocean. Hell, let them set a drill up in your back yard. Long as the keep hiding the real amount of pollutants their putting into the atmosphere and giving bull**** stories about how their not really destroying water supplies and polluting the air. Everyone will continue to not be caring. Let's not take a proactive approach to anything just as the oil companies do, and when **** hits the fan we'll continue to lie until one person can finally show proof. Then pay them off in court with a detailed contract saying they can't reveal their findings to the public; then move on as if nothing happened. It's the principle of the fact, if you can't afford drinks, don't drink. It's that simple. Just as you stated Lewis, until you see a sufficient "amount" of evidence that affects you personally let's not care at all. You're just like the rest of blatantly; dare I say ignorant people in this country. UNTIL SOMETHING AFFECTS YOU PERSONALLY. Let's not care about it. Who cares how much money they're spending to buy drinks? It shouldn't be happening period. I like the quote from the other board, there is no defense needed when there is no action to defend.

When you signed up if they asked you if an undisclosed amount of your entry fee to the tournaments, and PDGA membership could be used to buy drinks for the staff, while they met to possibly better the sport, you'd say yes? While that sounds fantastic, sure what's a couple drinks, then they take that from 1000 people, put it in a fund and only to buy alcohol for them. When you say "What's a couple drinks for a few days while they're meeting to better the sport?" If they can't afford a few drinks at dinner on their own dollar, what gives them the right to take money you all work for to pay for their food and drink? Whether it's of the alcoholic nature or simply water. Everyone post daily on this board about bull**** that goes on around the world that could simply be avoided if money was spent to better the sport. There is **** for marketing outside of the sport, if they really wanted the sport to grow. Offer better incentives to those that would be partaking in the sport, advertise, get good publicity out there, do stuff for those that make the sport look good ultimately; make the sport better. Don't just simply talk about it. This is fundamentally the same as politics, and we know how ****ed that whole situation is.

The corporate standard is to pay all reasonable travel expenses, except alcohol. I realize the PDGA is not a corporation, just saying.

Actually, this is all a brilliant plot by Feldberg, Korver and Rothstein to never have to buy alcohol again. I'm thinking that as long as another PDGA member is around, they'll be drinking for free now!

I certainly would not accept an "undisclosed" amount of my contributions to be devoted to staff booze. This is why I'm asking for the amount to be disclosed. :doh:

His argument is that they will make up a number, if they were that shady wouldn't they have NOT published the fact that they voted on it?

Lmao, the amount disclosed is not the issue. Clearly it's not the AMOUNT, it's the simple fact they're doing it period. This is not about the amount of money they're spending out of this. Whether it's $10 for (X) amount of drinks over (X) amount of days, or if it's $1000 for (X) amount of drinks for (X) amount of days.

That is like saying it's perfectly fine for religious higher ups using money from the church expense trips to rent little boys from Rentboy.com to "carry their luggage". It's not necessary for the outcome of their trips and or meetings. It's for pleasure(mostly sexual for the religious person), but definitely not necessity.... So to even care how much they're spending is again just as dumb as popular culture waiting to see "how much" effect these oil companies are really making on our environment; (when it's obvious as hell) before they take action against them. Because if it's just a little and isn't directly AFFECTING THEM PERSONALLY no matter how devastating it is to someone else, it's not something everyone should "care" about? Just sounds dumb in every facet.

I mean, I understand to some degree that some level of exploration is going to break a few eggs. But, when it's blatantly obvious that people are being exploited for someones' personal gain, it's just dumb. Whether it's big company with oil and natural gas, or if it's the PDGA BOD and buying people drinks out of budgets setup to help "better the sport".

His argument is that they will make up a number, if they were that shady wouldn't they have NOT published the fact that they voted on it?

Just as big company publish publicly what they're doing, but choose to leave out certain details about the chemicals and the effects they have on the environment and people? Sure, if that's how you want to look at it. Everything gets out at some point, this just isn't something so big they're willing to pay to cover it up so well. But, honestly not that's NOT the argument, just shows how easy it would be to shut up certain constituents trying to reveal the truth.

Last edited: