• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your PDGA 'tax' dollars at work (now hijack free)

There is a board with some messages on it. Why the hell did that cost 70k?

Somebody got raped.

Here is what I would do instead of crying about drinks:

Make the site user friendly
Make membership attractive to non-members
Create propigator information for juniors and women specifically
Set standards for tour events AND all other tiers, there seems to be way too much variety in payout and player pack stuff
Obtain major sponsorship

I suggested it be shut down years ago, which was received with booing and mockery.

Any other sports orgs have a message board on their website? Just asking, as I really hate comparing to other sports.

Yeah, there is no logic in my argument. I wouldn't expect them to pay such a thing, because I wouldn't put something like that in an expense report. Necessity; things I need to live. Many others should put that on an agenda for those people, as most of them are without those things. But, that's a different subject.

There is as much lack of logic in your argument as there is want to exploit in mine. Sorry if I took your ridiculous statement against me and made an equally one against you.

There is a board with some messages on it. Why the hell did that cost 70k?

Somebody got raped.

Here is what I would do instead of crying about drinks:

Make the site user friendly
Make membership attractive to non-members
Create propigator information for juniors and women specifically
Set standards for tour events AND all other tiers, there seems to be way too much variety in payout and player pack stuff
Obtain major sponsorship
Make new logo w/ color scheme that does not resemble my great grandmother's bathroom.

Yes, the things that your fee's should be going toward, not set aside for someone's expenses no matter their use. We pay those fee's, they pay those fee's. We have means of acquiring those fee's as they do, so why are they any different. You don't have someone around handing you someone else's money to pay for your good times. Why aren't they sending out drinks to everyone at tournaments with those fee's? Hell, let's all have a good time on someone's dollar. Then we never have to worry about paying for our own stuff! Someone could clearly see this "within reason". So at what point is it not socially acceptable or "within reason". Should we take a poll and base it off that? I have a great idea, DON'T DO IT, THEN YOU WON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM AND YOU CAN FOCUS ON THE REAL ISSUES! Man, this sounds a lot like politics over and over. Same song and dance, no action.

But is buying dinner with your money ok?

Just making sure where your imaginary line is drawn...

I see your point and I also see the other side:

Your side:

WHAT??? People take time out of their lives doing a job I must not be willing to do with little or no thanks and more likely a lot of grief and they want to have a drink!!????

Their side:

We just "wasted" 4 days of vacation from our real job and sat in a meeting for 9hrs, I really need a drink with dinner.

Me=neutral

This is pretty much my take on it as well. But I'm not a PDGA member, so whatever.

It seems kind of ridiculous to me to have a dinner meeting with adults present but not be allowed to buy a beer.

And, how is there no logic in my argument that if you just don't do it, there is no problem? How is that not logical? Logic is by far not "within reason" of most of the country. I'm still quite amused that you can so easily say you don't mind someone exploiting you as long as they tell you how much they're going to exploit you. That's hilarious. Then if it's a lot, you'll have a problem, but you don't mind being exploited a little. Isn't that a little backwards?

This is pretty much my take on it as well. But I'm not a PDGA member, so whatever.

It seems kind of ridiculous to me to have a dinner meeting with adults present but not be allowed to buy a beer.

Never said they weren't allowed, but it's basically like a guy coming up borrowing money and going to buy a beer while he discussing a fringe sport with his buddies. Saying he's going to better it. If he can't afford to buy his own beverage, REGARDLESS of it's designation, why is he there? If it's not such a big deal he borrows money from everyone in the PDGA to buy his beer, they why is it such a big deal that not do it as well? If it's not a big deal, then why not just not to it and avoid everything. Just pay for it themselves, it's simple.

Found on another message board:

Ryan Brunelle said:
$7 per drink X 2 drinks per 7 member board = $98. Divided by 13284 current members = $.00737 per member. Wow....now I'm super pissed :rolleyes: Crap, I forgot the tip on the $98 bar tab. 15% or 20%...what constitutes good service? Who makes that call? Can we trust our board members to make this decision on behalf of the 13284 members??? I just wasted 2 minutes of my life typing this post.

Never said they weren't allowed, but it's basically like a guy coming up borrowing money and going to buy a beer while he discussing a fringe sport with his buddies. Saying he's going to better it. If he can't afford to buy his own beverage, REGARDLESS of it's designation, why is he there? If it's not such a big deal he borrows money from everyone in the PDGA to buy his beer, they why is it such a big deal that not do it as well? If it's not a big deal, then why not just not to it and avoid everything. Just pay for it themselves, it's simple.

I was going to avoid responding since this is heading down a bad road (or is already there) but... I can't help it now. :doh:

It is nothing like that at all, common sense would dictate that. However, you have illustrated one general quality of your agenda.

I will say though that your "if it's questionable then just don't do it" statement is completely agreeable and in waaay more fields than disc golf.

I would be interested to see who is vacating their spots from the BoD this coming election compared with how the votes fell...

Alright, now lets all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Last edited:
The BOD is a group of volunteers who are donating their time for a national organization. Since they are already donating their time for us, I do not think they should have to come out of their pocket for travel, hotel and meal expenses. IMO, a couple of drinks at dinner would be considered a meal expense.

Beyond that, I have no problem with them getting a few perks. Afterall, they are stepping up to run a large, national organization for no pay. Whether you agree with the way they run the PDGA or not, they put in a lot of work for your benifit. I strongly believe in giving them a few perks to say a thank you for the effort. If you are one who does not believe in they way they run the PDGA, then simply vote for someone else, or step up and run.

In general, being on a board of an organization is a lot of thankless work. We should be thanking the board for donating their valuable time, not giving them flak for spending a little money on drinks after working for us.

You're holding the BOD in some high regard, they're basically people drinking alcohol discussing how to better a fringe sport with membership fee's. What's common sense going to dictate, and what's my agenda I've so clearly illustrated?

How are they exploiting me if:
1) I am giving them my money?
2) if they are doing their job?

If I felt I was being exploited I would:
1) Not re-join
2) Vote for someone else

You have all the right to do those things.

The BOD is a group of volunteers who are donating their time for a national organization. Since they are already donating their time for us, I do not think they should have to come out of their pocket for travel, hotel and meal expenses. IMO, a couple of drinks at dinner would be considered a meal expense.

Beyond that, I have no problem with them getting a few perks. Afterall, they are stepping up to run a large, national organization for no pay. Whether you agree with the way they run the PDGA or not, they put in a lot of work for your benifit. I strongly believe in giving them a few perks to say a thank you for the effort. If you are one who does not believe in they way they run the PDGA, then simply vote for someone else, or step up and run.

In general, being on a board of an organization is a lot of thankless work. We should be thanking the board for donating their valuable time, not giving them flak for spending a little money on drinks after working for us.

Re-posted from up-thread:

How about some perks for those of us who have been in the trenches (City Commission meetings, Parks Dept. meetings, club meetings, one-on-one with shovels or buckets mixing concrete {that includes cement}) doing the grunt work of getting the courses installed and maintained?

"WHERE'S MY FREE DRINKS?"

Don't ever think that the pDGA BOD is coming to your town to help you mix concrete.

I just think this witch hunt is ridiculous. Maybe we also make sure they're not eating unhealthy foods at this dinner. It doesn't make any sense to me why there is a distinction between alcohol and dinner.

If you're worried that they're spending too much money, put a cap on the budget for the dinner meeting. This is a corporate standard, I think the Bureau of Labor Statistics or some other similar body has guidelines for how much to allocate for government employees based on the COL where the meeting is held. Maybe use that, that's what my company does. Then let the adults on the BOD decide for themselves what they would like to eat or drink with that allocation.

#1 - Common sense dictates that since they on the BoD it is nothing at all like some random guy borrowing your money, drinking on your dime and claiming he's attempting to better the sport.

#2 - You've demonstrated that you are willing to manipulate and stretch what has actually happened in order to further your point of view and attempt to manipulate others into believing it (with your outrageous analogy).

Do you know the definition of Volunteer? I'm from TN, you know the Volunteer state. So perhaps someone should remind me when and where volunteering become something you're suppose to receive perks for? And, if they don't like the position they willingly volunteered for; thanks or no thanks. They're more than welcome to step down. So if they didn't budget this in, and just willy nilly spent your membership fee's on their expenses regardless of designation, that's perfectly fine? If alcohol is okay, is medical prescriptions okay too? How about a nice new orthopedic chair for those long discussions about our fringe sport? Doesn't everyone need a nice day at the spa to relax before and after these long tiring days of discussion? At what point is "within reason". Sure, common sense. But, saying that is like saying being exploited a little is perfectly fine as long as you don't exploit me too much or blatantly do it in my face.

You say a few drinks, they say an open bar. When the simple fact is if they just used the expenses for what they're paid for, there is no issue to discuss.

Last edited: