• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Z Hornet

discspeed

* Ace Member *
The Z Hornet is here! I just grabbed 2 177 oranges (BTW, Discraft is no longer inking weights on their discs, just the metal stickers) to test out. The plastic feels awesome, and these will be going in my bag for testing...

I haven't seen a Z in person yet, so how is the dome? I heard some say they saw a flat one and that concerned me a little. My ESP has a considerable dome to it and I liked the glide on it.

NoLifeLeft said:
I haven't seen a Z in person yet, so how is the dome? I heard some say they saw a flat one and that concerned me a little. My ESP has a considerable dome to it and I liked the glide on it.

My orange Zs feel and look almost exactly like the heavy orange Ace Race ones did. The domes are modest. They have a nice a gradually sloped shoulder that pretty much flattens across the top at the ring stamp.

Some personal experiences with the new z hornet:

I have been throwing two z hornets (1 yellow 176, 1 orange 177) and thus far they have exceeded my expectations. I would have to agree with discraft's description of between a wasp and drone in stability with a lot of glide. I have used them so far for various flex shots, hyzer spikes, and anything else you might imagine I would do with an overstable midrange. This has a ridiculous amount of glide for an overstable disc, it fades forward and left (not just left like many overstable discs(RHBH)). It also has quite a good amount of distance potential considering you can really throw it hard without worrying too much about the possibility of it flipping, I've put them out to about 320-340 feet without too much effort or any HS turn. Flex shots with the hornet have also been superior to those that i used to throw with wasps/drones, it has just the right amount of stability that you can forcefully put anhyzer on the disc and still trust that it will come back but it also continues to glide forward as it comes back, adding a lot of distance. I have not tested it too much in the wind, we had maybe 10-15mph winds and it didn't seem to want to turn when I threw it into said headwind for a little while, but I didn't get too many throws in.

BTW, it goes great with a buzzz...

I've never needed an overstable mid with that much glide. To each his own, I guess. This mold was a huge disappointment IMHO.

My 176g ESP ones are seriously meathookish. Mine are way more stable than any Drone I've ever thrown, but I do still like them pretty well. I think they just need to get a little bit more beat up, and they'll be perfect. They are fairly glidey for their stability, and if thrown flat they can get nearly as far as a buzzz for me. Its only their stability that causes them to lose a little D for me.

I still prefer the Drone, because it feels a lot better in the hand, and is quite a bit slower.

Ryan C said:
My 176g ESP ones are seriously meathookish. Mine are way more stable than any Drone I've ever thrown, but I do still like them pretty well. I think they just need to get a little bit more beat up, and they'll be perfect. They are fairly glidey for their stability, and if thrown flat they can get nearly as far as a buzzz for me. Its only their stability that causes them to lose a little D for me.

I still prefer the Drone, because it feels a lot better in the hand, and is quite a bit slower.

I think you got a freaky one man. Ive throw several different weights of the ESP's and all except the lightest one are about the same, the difference with the lightest one being on the same throws with the heavier ones they have a bit of turn, but in wind they are great (keep them low) i sometimes throw them in the bag when its too windy for rocs, they feel similar to a roc, a faster more stable roc is how i would descride (moreso than a wasp) and a little less glide than a roc, but in a headwind they get a little better D.

Havent thrown a Z yet, may do that when the knee gets better

They're pretty reliable. Anything stronger than a 15mph headwind would make me think twice before trying to throw it farther than 275'. I don't think they're as overstable as a Drone but because they're faster and float more you may get more raw fade distance out of a Hornet when you let it rip because the Drone will have hit the ground 100' short of your Hornet...

I've got a 171 ESP and a 177 Z for flat hyzers and flex shots in the area of 300'. It's probably not a disc that needed to be made but, if it feels good in your hand, give it a try. I'm digging them.

Roc Lover said:
Ryan C said:

I think you got a freaky one man. Ive throw several different weights of the ESP's and all except the lightest one are about the same, the difference with the lightest one being on the same throws with the heavier ones they have a bit of turn, but in wind they are great (keep them low) i sometimes throw them in the bag when its too windy for rocs, they feel similar to a roc, a faster more stable roc is how i would descride (moreso than a wasp) and a little less glide than a roc, but in a headwind they get a little better D.

Havent thrown a Z yet, may do that when the knee gets better

They could be freaky ones. I haven't tried different weights/colors. Only 176g teal ones.

could someone put some innova numbers on them as a guess 5 4 0 3?, and are these more hss and more lss than a Z Aftershock?

i would say those look good for the ESP but i have a feeling the Z will have a little more fade, maybe like a half point, and be a little less glidey by like half or quarter point

Marshall St. has the new DC stuff up. Ordered a Z Hornet and 2 X Nukes to try. Guess the X Nuke isn't part of the X plastic sale.

i fondled one today i expected it to be stiffer like the z buzzz's but it was floppy like the flight plate on the esp ones, they were both orange fwiw. Did get an X nuke today tho, would like to be healthy so i could throw it tho

niuvalleycane said:
could someone put some innova numbers on them as a guess 5 4 0 3?, and are these more hss and more lss than a Z Aftershock?
a good deal more, these are most like a Q sentinel

niuvalleycane said:
5 4 0 3 is about right. they are both more hss and lss then an aftersock.

Jesse B 707 said:
niuvalleycane said:
a good deal more, these are most like a Q sentinel

Yeah, mine really remind me of Sanny Q-Sents. They are very overstable if given even a touch or hyzer, but thrown flat or with slight anny and they can work straightish lines fairly easy.

The Z run is still fast and overstable. Most people will be able to get at least an extra 50' out of their fairway drivers.

It's a disc that players of different skill levels will get different mileage out of. If you can throw most of the staple mid range discs 325'+ it's workable, but there isn't much reason to throw anything but hyzers and the occasional flex shot with it. If you struggle to put a Roc out 250' you won't need to pick one of these up because other mids will still fade pretty hard for you.

I've heard the Hornet is a fast mid. how would it compare to the Impact? just speed-wise, not stability-wise