• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

What discs did you have in mind?

If you try any of them out, please report!
heat (9,6,-3,1);
force (12,5,0,3)--strictly for strong wind situations;
crank (13,5,-2,2);
scorch (11,6,-2,2)--this seems real interesting to me;
thrasher (12,5,-3,2); and
cicada--a fairway (7,6,-1,1).
Unless the required speed at release decreases somewhat with the lighter weights, I am probably not getting full flights out of any of these except the heat and cicada, but would like to play with.

Does discraft sell seconds (like Innova does with their F2)?

I have not. I live in Discraft country and am also curious. I simply have a set bag with lots of backup....I try REALLY hard to skip on experimental purchasing. If I run across some as a player pack of payout option, I might venture into some.

I think I am able to generate a touch more release speed, because of the lower weight, to achieve stated speed rating. Perhaps the lighter disc needs less release speed.....I am not sure, it would require some actual testing, maybe with a Tech Disc?

Some brick and mortar disc stores have disc test options. Especially those located at courses. The Throw Shop in Ypsilanti Michigan and the store at Mt Airy in Kentucky come to mind.
Will check out those two stores, thanks. That cool robot throwing discs in Simon's video comes to mind for precise testing of flight paths. That dude should sell a few of those to every manufacturer. Maybe even some shops could benefit. Buy one of those and a speed gun, and when someone comes in not knowing what they need, an entire array of proper discs could be provided, expertly tested by the shop at different release speeds. When I started back into the sport in 2017 or so, I went out and got a 13 speed thinking it would go real far. My 4-speed release promptly sent it 50' left into a tree. I see newer players all the time doing this, so much so they start aiming right on everything instead of just discing down to lighter weights or approach discs.

thrasher (12,5,-3,2); and

I have thrown low-160s Thrasher a few times, maybe Big Z?. Good disc but did not knock the Wave out of the bag. Reminded me of a Vanish, gentle turn and gentle fade.

cicada--a fairway (7,6,-1,1).

I do want to try a Cicada. I would love it if the Cicada flew like my old domey S-FDs, which were also 7,6,-1,1.

I do want to try a Cicada. I would love it if the Cicada flew like my old domey S-FDs, which were also 7,6,-1,1.
I have tried a river (7,7,-1,1), but it seems to start out a bit stable but somewhat quickly devolves to understable, even in Opto plastic. Almost like an Innova DX plastic disc would.

I have tried a river (7,7,-1,1), but it seems to start out a bit stable but somewhat quickly devolves to understable, even in Opto plastic. Almost like an Innova DX plastic disc would.

I threw Gold Line Rivers years ago. Amazing glide, but seemed very sensitive to nose angle. Gave them up when I switched to lighter drivers.

I am bagging a full weight Cicada right now. It is a dependable, penetrating hyzer disc for me....being of senior arm. I am loving a 156 Opto Air Saint. Not as angle sensitive as a River and still has great glide.

Haha damn too bad... the thing that endeared it to my bag was some of the 50 Footers that I was making, I've never been so confident on longer putts before, rather than just lobbing it on the side of the basket and waiting for the fade to bring it down close I find myself running them a little bit more with more of a lofty straight at it approach.
Loving Pixel. Higher make percentage at all distances. Definitely extended my range a little bit.

I have thrown low-160s Thrasher a few times, maybe Big Z?. Good disc but did not knock the Wave out of the bag. Reminded me of a Vanish, gentle turn and gentle fade.

What was wrong with the Rhythm again? Haha I just picked up a 165 in fission that's pretty sexy.

What was wrong with the Rhythm again? Haha I just picked up a 165 in fission that's pretty sexy.

For me, it was the strong fade since Axiom lists the Rhythm as 7,5,-2,1. If I want a turney-fadey disc I'd rather throw a Plasma Insanity 'cuz it goes farther.

Does the Rhythm fly like the numbers for you? Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong. 🤯

For me, it was the strong fade since Axiom lists the Rhythm as 7,5,-2,1. If I want a turney-fadey disc I'd rather throw a Plasma Insanity 'cuz it goes farther.

Does the Rhythm fly like the numbers for you? Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong. 🤯
Kinda depends on the run.. and plh. I have about 12-15 now. The circuit challenge are the most understable at 172g (I dumped my 174 it was too much and my DFX ones scale at 178 so they're hanging), my fission are reliably understable 154-158 and recently acquired 163 is fairly neutral... I have a few each of US and OS 160 neutrons. Dramatic difference there, one is a longer relay the other is a servo. Generally the flat top ones seem to be the most stable.

I have never had the same insanity experience as everyone else that loves em all mine have been beefy except that fission 155 Chance sent me with his team stamp, that is what I expected, took 5 to get that turn I've heard about.

Last edited:
I have never had the same insanity experience as everyone else that loves em all mine have been beefy except that fission 155 Chance sent me with his team stamp, that is what I expected, took 5 to get that turn I've heard about.

Yeah Plasma Insanity was my jam for a while, but they got more stable than I want so I switched to 150s Fission. Nicely understable but with enough fade to keep the flight honest if I do my part.

Sounds like getting the right Rhythm is more effort than I want to make lol. But if you are happy then life is good!

Distance:
157 Neutron Inertia: Main distance driver, on the understable side of neutral but quite versatile. I miss my Waves but Waves ain't what they used to be. Sadly, neither is my throwing distance. :(

Similar for me lately. But it's 157g - 169g Proton and Neutron Viruses in place of fission Waves. I still put a few Waves back in for open courses, but the extra 30' comes with risk of too much finish. More importantly, I keep asking myself if I'm only getting 30 more feet, what the hell am I doing bagging 11 speeds???

Similar for me lately. But it's 157g - 169g Proton and Neutron Viruses in place of fission Waves.

Interesting, I have not thought about the Virus for a long time. How does it fly for you?

@Monocacy

157g Neutron: Very straight and not overly sensitive to nose up. A little late turn.

166g Neutron: holds a slight fade line throughout.

169g Proton: surprisingly straight like the 157g, but with fade/skip at the end.

They all get great turn in headwind and always fight out.

The Neutrons are maybe five year old runs, but not bagged consistently until this year. The Proton is new.

Hmm interesting, my virus experience was a little more understable, reasonably long but I have a tilt towards touch of anny and solid nose down.... felt like a mice disc had it and a R2 signal I was digging then the rhythm tossed em back in the closet and shut the door haha.

(300' on a good day at sea level)

if anybody is interested I have two upthrown yellow Innova PFN 148g S.EX. Eagle drivers in my basement. can send pix of storage wear.

Bought a few Z-lites at my local shop this week, all in the 157g-159g range: (they were about $16 each).
  • scorch (11,6,-2,2)--flies pretty well, slight turn but returns home OK. Bit more speed than I can really take advantage of though.
  • crank (13,5,-2,2); Definitely what I will use into a headwind. Fades pretty quickly for me.
  • cicada--a fairway (7,6,-1,1); My new fave. Flies quite straight, with little fade at the end, and does glide very well. Really lives up to its flight numbers. A couple times I feel like I early-released it with lower power, and it still went 300'. Just release it clean and it seems to glide forever.
My max distance on most days is 325', if that helps gauge how these might fly for you.

Bought a few Z-lites at my local shop this week, all in the 157g-159g range: (they were about $16 each).
  • scorch (11,6,-2,2)--flies pretty well, slight turn but returns home OK. Bit more speed than I can really take advantage of though.
  • crank (13,5,-2,2); Definitely what I will use into a headwind. Fades pretty quickly for me.
  • cicada--a fairway (7,6,-1,1); My new fave. Flies quite straight, with little fade at the end, and does glide very well. Really lives up to its flight numbers. A couple times I feel like I early-released it with lower power, and it still went 300'. Just release it clean and it seems to glide forever.
My max distance on most days is 325', if that helps gauge how these might fly for you.

Firstly, thank you for the first-person experience!

Cicada is on my shopping list, and your experience makes me want to place an order even sooner. Thanks for the enabling! 😁

Scorch is probably more disc than I should be tossing these days, but I do like having a manageable high speed disc. Probably order a couple for funsies, and if it doesn't work out I can always use sacrificial discs for water carries. :rolleyes:

Probably pass on the Crank. Glad it works for you, but I have never had much luck with speed 13 discs.

The other new disc I would like to try is the Curl. Flight numbers 11, 5, -1, 2.

For mids, I would like to try the Detour. I have been pretty happy with the Mako3, but something a smidge more understable would pair better with the Hex.

Thanks again!