• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

Detour is definitely a smidge under a hex. Good for hyzer flipping if you throw that way. It's decent but I love my uplinks! A 180g soft uplink is comparable to a 174 detour, except the detour will pull out of an anny sooner with a faster drop but it's just as likely to ride a long anny downhill.

Detour is definitely a smidge under a hex. Good for hyzer flipping if you throw that way. It's decent but I love my uplinks! A 180g soft uplink is comparable to a 174 detour, except the detour will pull out of an anny sooner with a faster drop but it's just as likely to ride a long anny downhill.
Thanks for this report! My 180g Uplink is soooo straight on a flat release, and a 178g Core already gives me that touch more stability that I guess I would find with the Detour.

So, I'm sorry James....if MVP had released the Detour sooner, I'm sure I would have snapped a few up. But now I can save my $$$.

I have a slow arm. I find easiest distance for me is 150g Katanas and Terns. Easy to control for high speed discs - aerodynamic helps me. I max at 250-275'. Never tried a Cicada, but I love my Crave for under 200'.

Interesting, thanks! I would like something that complements rather than overlaps the Hex, otherwise I usually go a notch more stable and bag the Reactor (also a fine disc, but one that I don't throw as often).

I prefer to carry 2 mids and make it work with throwing angles and whatnot. Life would be so much easier if anything beyond a nice-and-easy sidearm didn't kill my shoulder.

Thanks for this report! My 180g Uplink is soooo straight on a flat release, and a 178g Core already gives me that touch more stability that I guess I would find with the Detour.

Thank you for that info, it is nice to hear that you and Throwa have consistent experiences with the Uplink.

Unfortunately I prefer mids in the 165-170 gram range. Creaky old guy weights. :rolleyes:

So, I'm sorry James....if MVP had released the Detour sooner, I'm sure I would have snapped a few up. But now I can save my $$$.

Guess I'll take one for the team, order a couple of Detours, and evaluate.

There are lots of mids that I like (Reactor, Hex, Mako3, Origin, etc.), I just want to find a compatible 2-mid combo that covers the shots I need. :)

I have a slow arm. I find easiest distance for me is 150g Katanas and Terns. Easy to control for high speed discs - aerodynamic helps me. I max at 250-275'. Never tried a Cicada, but I love my Crave for under 200'.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have flirted with faster drivers, but despite an occasional amazing throw I seem to play better with slower discs on the wooded courses I usually play.

Crave/Hex is my old guy mid range combo. I love my Crave. Still breaking in and getting used to my Hex - hopefully it gets a bit less stable over time. Been throwing a friend's Claymore, to prep for Trilogy Challenge - will be my first ever tournament! Claymore actually flies pretty nice for me. I tried a beautiful glow Roc and a Roc3 - they were just not consistent enough with how much turn they got (both actually very under stable). But, if Hex can't come through for me, maybe my tournament Claymore will fight for that spot in my bag? Time will tell.

@Monocacy Have you tried an uplink? I've got a 165 Shedyzer one in soft... it's a flippy line holder. It will turn on its own, or hold putter lines in the woods. my preference towards the 180 soft is that it has taken relay shots, especially downhill. I can get that weight moving on a little hyzer and it just flips holds and carries forever before a gentle fade out probably 50ft further than a relay. I could see a light detour being more controllable but I also haven't tried any hexs below 170g. At 155g a fission reactor is pretty fun though haha.

@Monocacy Have you tried an uplink? I've got a 165 Shedyzer one in soft... it's a flippy line holder. It will turn on its own, or hold putter lines in the woods. my preference towards the 180 soft is that it has taken relay shots, especially downhill. I can get that weight moving on a little hyzer and it just flips holds and carries forever before a gentle fade out probably 50ft further than a relay.

I tried an Uplink briefly. Fun disc, but seemed like more of a utility disc to me. Perhaps I didn't give it a fair trial, but usually I either click with a disc or I don't. 🤷‍♂️

Glad you like yours, though. :)

I could see a light detour being more controllable but I also haven't tried any hexs below 170g. At 155g a fission reactor is pretty fun though haha.

I have some Fission Hexes and Reactors, probably 160 or so, and carry one or the other pretty often. Fission Reactor is pretty similar to a mid-160s Neutron Hex so no reason to carry both.

I switched to 150s when I passed 50, and I love it so far (the discs more than the age). I particularly enjoy flicking 150s; much less wear and tear on my creaky shoulder.

Backhand distance is around 300', maybe more if I'm feeling frisky. Forehand distance is a little less, but working its way back up again after an injury. I throw pretty much everything in the bag forehand and backhand.

I am particularly interested in your thoughts on the stable control driver slot, but any comments, suggestions, or witty ridicule will be appreciated.

Stable control driver: The perfect disc would weigh 150 grams and fly like a more durable, mildly-seasoned 165 DX Gazelle. I hope to audition two lovely contestants this weekend:
150 gummy Champ Gazelle or 150 TP / Pro-D Cyclone
If those discs don't work, I may try a 150 Q or SJLS or 150 Q PLS, but I worry that they may overlap with the Leopard and lack stability for headwinds. If all else fails, I will try to find some elusive 150 DX Gazelles or use beat-up 150 DX Teebirds or Eagles.

Understable driver:
154 Champ Leopard: This is my main driver in the woods, works well for uphill shots, and absolutely bombs downhill.

Distance driver:
150 Star Valkyrie: Main distance driver, backhand and forehand.
150 Champ Valkyrie: Well-beaten, for distance turnovers and hyzer flips. I traded for this one used – are Champ Valks normally more understable than Star?

Moderately overstable driver:
150 P PD: This is becoming longer as it breaks in. On windy days I carry a 150 Star Eagle or Champ / Star Teebird.

Very overstable driver:
154 Champ Banshee: This has been getting a lot of use lately, and has taken over mid-length forehands that I used to throw with heavier DX Rocs. I have even started fooling with get-out-of-trouble forehand rollers.

Midranges:
150 DX Rocs: I was worried about throwing Rocs in the 150s but except for my less-than-pristine forehand (see Banshee), Rocs seem to fly like Rocs regardless. I am working on beating up a Roc to test against the Comet.
150 KC Pro Roc: I hope that the extra stability will help with flicks, at least until I can clean up my forehand. I will test this weekend.
163 Z Comet: Cheater "heavy" disc, at least until I can beat up a 150 Roc and compare.

Putters:
165 - 168 SS Magic: Putting putter and understable approach shots.
162 - 165 SS Wizard: Short flicks, stable approaches, and windy putts.
I'm old and have been playing forever. Try a Hawkeye. I have heavier ones, but my go-to is in the low 160s.

I'm old and have been playing forever. Try a Hawkeye. I have heavier ones, but my go-to is in the low 160s.

Funny you mention that - I was using a 162 Star Hawkeye for lots of fairway shots today. Great suggestion! ;)

Yeah you're probably on the right track with the light detour. My 165 uplink doesn't get nearly as much play as my heavy ones, the 176 gyropalooza is flippy enough for me, anything shorter and it's a putter shot.

Hawkeye eh? 7 5 -1 1 looks decent.

Yeah you're probably on the right track with the light detour. My 165 uplink doesn't get nearly as much play as my heavy ones, the 176 gyropalooza is flippy enough for me, anything shorter and it's a putter shot.

I hope so

Hawkeye eh? 7 5 -1 1 looks decent.

Supposed to be an Innova FD. Pretty darn similar, but the Hawkeye is available in lighter weights.