• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2-day Lake Michigan Circle Tour

Juke, it is unfortunate to say but the golds are almost none existent at WP these days. I still really like the Blues out there!! I really haven't played SC since its been upgraded to 27, can't comment on it other than from what i hear the extra holes really help balance it out. Apdrvya, if you could swing Zobel in place of SC then you would have a really awesome taste of Wisco!!!

Zobel > SC, fo' sho'.

I thought Zobel > WP, too. Again, I realize I'm in the minority there.

Zobel can totally hang with WP but I prefer Winter Park because more technical shots are require, lots more thread the needle shots. Only played Zobel once tho, perhaps I need to return and refresh my brain.

LOVE Zobel, but it's pretty far out of the way from those courses. It's criminally overlooked on the list of top WI courses. I'll take it all day over anything in the Milwaukee area, and when the pins are in the longs, it's probably just as good as anything at Highbridge.

To be honest, if I was running a corridor of great courses, I'd start at Zobel, go up and hit O'Hauser, then kick over to Rollin' Ridge and camp the night away.

I'm not immune to an ass kicking. Some of my favorite courses are my favorite courses because they kicked my ass the right way.

The Tailings is a good example. While not the most difficult course, it's a true diamond in the rough. you are challenged to think about EVERY shot before you throw because the rough is insanely rough.

oh, and there's bears.

Jeff/Carter, think of Winter Park as Beauty, but on Barry Bonds 'roids, and with tee pad options.

I think I am getting a chub. a challenge I don't mind, hell everyone needs a good ass-whooping on the course, nothing like a "why do I play this again?" moment. :thmbup:

Winter Park takes it out of you, just letting you know up front. That first day is ultra ambitious. I'd listen to Shuie and take out Standing Rocks. Play Winter Park, then hit Silver Creek, then Rollin' Ridge, and camp there. Great facilities on site, including a bar and shower. Plus, you're going to want to play RR more than once. I'd build the second day from there.

Silver Creek will be the easiest on the body of those three...

Or take out Winter Park and hit Dretzka/Brown Deer in Milwaukee, head up to SC, then go to Rollin' Ridge.

^QFT

BTW, I'd love to meet up with you guys for a round on your tour.

Me too, yo!

I'm excited for wherever we end up going to. I love playing new courses and seeing new places. Hope to run into the both of you (Adam, Eric).

Here's to hoping I make it to Cincinnati AND this UP trip. What a disc golf year that'd be.

One of the nice things that can be overlooked at Silver Creek is the variety of water around the course. In addition to a few holes that have actual Silver Creek in play; there is now the lighthouse hole that brings Lake Michigan into play with an overambitious upshot. A couple of places with great views of Lake Michigan are also available. The lighthouse even lights up at night.

0038d1ad_m.jpg

977dce15_m.jpg

Silver Creek is just barely the weakest of the trifecta of Winter, Silver, Rollin' Ridge. It should be played as the "old schooler" of the three; that still holds it's own. And, because it's a Duster Don Hoffman design (along with wonderful Jim Van Lanen). Duster was one of the original/great Wisco course designers.

Last edited:
One of the nice things that can be overlooked at Silver Creek is the variety of water around the course. In addition to a few holes that have actual Silver Creek in play; there is now the lighthouse hole that brings Lake Michigan into play with an overambitious upshot. A couple of places with great views of Lake Michigan are also available. The lighthouse even lights up at night.

0038d1ad_m.jpg

977dce15_m.jpg

Silver Creek is just barely the weakest of the trifecta of Winter, Silver, Rollin' Ridge. It should be played as the "old schooler" of the three; that still holds it's own. And, because it's a Duster Don Hoffman design (along with wonderful Jim Van Lanen). Duster is one of the original/great Wisco course designers.

FTFY

Think Jonny Appleseed......

Love Winter Park. LOVE Rollin Ridge. Silver Creek is Solid with a few unique aspects that set it apart from other courses, but for the most part this course is common all around the country (I haven't played the new 27 hole layout). When I was in prime condition playing all day every day I think it would have been a push to play your day 1 schedule, I can't imagine doing it now (even if my foot were in prime shape). Shoot, just winter park takes a lot out of me, throw in rollin ridge and I think I'd call it a day... good luck, should be an epic day!!

I don't really have anything to offer on your second day. Sandy point is solid fun, my favorite style of course with fun technical wooded holes, though nothing spectacular.

the extra 9 holes at Silver Creek are more of the same...all solid, but nothing memorable...

I DO know the day I played Winter Park last, we were only going to play one round, but it was so fun we stayed for two...and then we were cashed. Like I got home, and could barely pull my legs out of the car cashed.

As of right now, I'm thinking day one will stay the same (unless a course comes along that replaces standing rocks) so, between rollin ridge and sandy point...

nice thing about standing rocks is that although it's 33 holes, they're all relatively short.

last year we did:
pioneer trails 18-27
ludington links 9
besse park 9
the tailings 18 brutal holes
mt zion (ironwood) 9
mtu (houghton) 9
all in one day...
that's 72 holes in 6 courses...
day 2 was:
lake linden 18
al quaal 9
powder mill 18
silver creek 18
WIB 18
which is 81 holes

total of 153 holes in 2 days.

this year will be (if we keep it the same)
105 day one and
74-92 day two...

my legs should be on fire.

When did they make Disc Golf a race? I guess if that floats your boat, have a good time. Drive carefully.

it's not a race. We spend adequate time at each course. We don't run.
we played more courses last year than we are this year.

I'm not immune to an ass kicking. Some of my favorite courses are my favorite courses because they kicked my ass the right way.

The Tailings is a good example. While not the most difficult course, it's a true diamond in the rough. you are challenged to think about EVERY shot before you throw because the rough is insanely rough.

oh, and there's bears.

Jeff,

It was good to play with you last year at Watch It Bend Acres. (BTW it is now 24 holes with a complete set of DC28 baskets for 2015). Based on your reviews and comments regarding Tailings and Powder Mill (and even the Yooper Silver Creek here), you will NOT want to miss Winter Park. You will use more shots and discs in your bag than any course you've ever played. With 27 holes, despite many being very wooded and needle-threaders, the design intent was to vary every hole if even by a small margin to force very specific flight patterns. EG there is a huge difference between the flights of a RHBH anny, RHFH, and LHBH. Winter Park will test those who can differentiate between those subtleties, and although the terrain can surely beat you down, accuracy and control are your very forgiving friends.

I think you'll love it! The WP-SC-RR trio is arguably one of the best in the nation IMO!

Latest posts