• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Hole 9-13 just seems to be crushing people. Just brutalizing them mentally.

Yeah, holes 8 through 13 is the tough stretch at Winthrop. They're all long par 4s (except 13) and keeping things inbounds while trying to bite off distance is tough. You usually try to get birdies coming up to hole 9 then try to avoid bogeys until you get to 14.

Is anyone else not a fan of Winthrop Gold-esque courses with a lot of OB? Personally I generally prefer playing courses without all of the water, rope, painted lines, and island holes. It's definitely exhilirating as a mix up though, and the USDGC is by far my favorite tournament to watch. But frankly I think that disc golf is usually punishing enough without it.

I think for what it is the course is great. It's not there to test people's ability to shape lines in the woods. The best of the best are playing and the person who makes the least mistakes wins. Winthrop is great for that - lots of risk/reward, but most holes are open so luck doesn't really come into play as much. It's up to the players to execute the shots.

I think for what it is the course is great. It's not there to test people's ability to shape lines in the woods. The best of the best are playing and the person who makes the least mistakes wins. Winthrop is great for that - lots of risk/reward, but most holes are open so luck doesn't really come into play as much. It's up to the players to execute the shots.

Thing is, with the way the ropes are set up and the slopes of some of the fairways and greens, it IS about shaping shots. Yeah, you're not always shaping them around obstacles, but you want to shape the shots so they land flat and don't skip/roll/bounce into a bad spot. You want to place one shot to set up the next. In that respect, it's much more golf-like than most disc golf courses.

It's a mentally demanding course. It's a tight technical course hidden in an open one.

wow between all those OBs and chairgate, the tounrmaent is as open as never before. Who'd have thought after the -14 on day one.

Hey guys, did you know Patrick Brown is from San Francisco? I wish they'd keep Paige around to do commentary. She was great.

These guys in the lead group are definitely not having fun. Didn't JohnE on 888 remind you of Doss last year? Take your time before you re-tee!

Our own bravethrower43 on the scoreboard:

15245194248_8096bd9b62_z.jpg

Not sure from the DGplanet camera angle, but Brown was exceptionally lucky to find a way through that tree.

What's with Schusterick's socks? Something waterproof since he is wearing sneakers?

How many world championships has Mcbeth won? Im not sure ive caught it yet...

They have already mentioned more than once that Patrick was from SF.

"our microphones are not able to pick up any conversation on the tee..."

Latest posts