• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

McBeth's mistake was not playing a provisional.

And not knowing the rulebook.

McBeth couldn't be comfortable asking for a provisional when you have a marshal making the call. Although he could have done so as part of his intent to appeal the marshal's ruling.

Last edited:
McBeth couldn't really play a provisional when you have a marshal making the call.

He can't appeal a marshal's ruling to the TD?

Of course he could.

805.01 D. A player may appeal an official's ruling to the Director.

Fitting too that they have the 2012 Worlds TD in the booth and they repeated ad naseum "Provisonal, provisional, provisional" at that tourny, must've heard that 100 times before the first throw.

Why didn't any of them have a rule book on them? I've got one in my bag, just in case. If you're a marshal it should be standard to have one with you. Would've taken 2 seconds to look at it and make the right call.

Why didn't any of them have a rule book on them? I've got one in my bag, just in case. If you're a Marshall it should be standard to have one with you. Would've taken 2 seconds to look at it and make the right call.

They had rule books and the caddy book from what I saw. They just made the wrong ruling.

803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 15:02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables), which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

B.Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).

C.Course equipment may always be restored to its proper working order, including the clearing of obstacles.

D.A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

E.A player who purposely damages any part of the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

I wish disc golf planet could do something to improve their "live" broadcasting. I find it a dissappointment to hwve to watch the "live" broadcast in the evining or the following day.
Does anyone know what they could do?

I wish disc golf planet could do something to improve their "live" broadcasting. I find it a dissappointment to hwve to watch the "live" broadcast in the evining or the following day.
Does anyone know what they could do?

What do you mean? There are over 3000 viewers watching the live broadcast right now. It's been great. I don't know why you have to wait until evening or the next day, but it's not their fault.

The marshal made the correct call per the rulebook if in fact the chair was interpreted to be part of the course as a result of it being there before the hole was played. That interpretation might be made while looking right at the rulebook. However, it's an extension of the casual relief rule 803.01B to consider spotter gear as equivalent to "player equipment" in the thrower's stance that was missed.

803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 15:02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables), which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

B.Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).

C.Course equipment may always be restored to its proper working order, including the clearing of obstacles.

D.A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

E.A player who purposely damages any part of the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

The bolded parts are to me what could and should have happened. The chair is not part of the course. Paul is allowed to request that the owner of the chair move it. That aside, as it is behind his lie, he is subsequently allowed to move it himself (casual relief). :wall:

The marshal made the correct call per the rulebook if in fact the chair was interpreted to be part of the course as a result of it being there before the hole was played. That interpretation might be made while looking right at the rulebook. However, it's an extension of the casual relief rule 803.01B to consider spotter gear as equivalent to "player equipment" that was in the stance" that was missed.

He did not make the correct call though. There's no way that chair is a permanent part of the course. It belonged to the spotter and the player has the right to ask for it to be removed from his stance.

Wow, McBeth with a 9, giving up 3 strokes to JohnE and sitting in a 3 way tie for 2nd now.

Edit: Sorry, 8 and two back. PDGA had the wrong score for a second.

Watching and listening to web feed it seemed like McBeast didn't wait for the ruling and just decided to not move the spotters chair and "take it into his own hands"...

Patrick has been baldy this whole time and I didn't know til just now :p. I must have watched him play 15 tournament rounds by now lol.