• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

200.gif

Love him or hate him, Nikko Locastro had a great tournament until this last day. And I was very impressed with those long anny flex shots he uncorked. If he gets his putting down... he could be a "contendah"...

Uli said on the Smashboxx podcasts that he'd injured his thumb (playing basketball), and for the week he was "day to day". Apparently it began being too much for him to continue.
I thought he said it was his index finger. I played league with his brother Pete on Thursday at Vista. He said it is probably broken.

Now let the McBeth vs Wysoki talk really ramp up! With the World's win, by any measure, Ricky is on his way to Player of the Year (if it's not in the bag already). And if he wins the Pro Tour Championship and USDGC, it'll be a clean sweep comparable to McBeth 2015.

Where are all the McBeth haters crowing about not winning? I'll go:

Thank god McBeth, who has personally wronged me with his talent and excellence, his earrings and McPants, his haircuts and high profile, didn't win. My life has been drastically improved now that his previous 4 Worlds titles have been proven a fluke. What a jerk. Rules. Rules are for nerds.

Some actual observations:

Agree with the praise for Nikko; he had a game plan and stuck with it, and it kept him in contention. He made some great putts, but also was flukey on others. Glad to see him on the lead card(s). Control the emotions and keep tightening up the putting game.

Val, Val, Val. Just when I thought she had been surpassed in distance and variety of shots by Catrina and PP, she comes roaring back with some pretty nice distance drives of her own (was that the Tern?) and clutch play and experience. I don't know if she's been out practicing while Nate has the kid and the brewing, but congrats to her to be able to do it again.

And Ricky just continues to do what he's done all season. Crush FH and BH drives for distance and accuracy; park job upshots; banging casual 90' putts like they're in the circle. Someone woke the sleeping Beast (lulz) with the choke comments before the season. He can finish last at all the remaining NT/DGPT events for all I care, I just want him to crush the USDGC to once and for all put the (not entirely inaccurate) criticism to rest...

I'm not a big fan of the Emporia courses (the highway noise at Jones East annoys the piss out of me, let alone the many boring holes), and I wish it had been closer, but congrats to Rick, he killed it.

Now let the McBeth vs Wysoki talk really ramp up!

I'm not sure there is much more to talk about. Ricky has had a phenomenal 2016 season and capped it with this win.

Ricky still has a ways to go to match Pauls overall resume. But 2016 goes to to Rick.

I like the idea of a classic aviar or TL signature disc for her. Just give her both, she did win 4 titles. Krover had a line of Valkyries and still has the JK Aviar, which is a MUCH bigger deal than a signature disc. Great job Val!!!

And Val won all FOUR of hers with Innova. Julianna's first 2 were with Discraft.

I'm not sure there is much more to talk about. Ricky has had a phenomenal 2016 season and capped it with this win.

Ricky still has a ways to go to match Pauls overall resume. But 2016 goes to to Rick.

Of course he does. He's a younger player, up-and-coming. Just like Paul has a ways to go to match Kenny's resume.

I thought he said it was his index finger. I played league with his brother Pete on Thursday at Vista. He said it is probably broken.

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

On a lighter note, do you know if they have a sister named Mary? ;)

Some much deserved props to Cam Colglazier, easy to 5 disc golfer based on talent. He has played no big tournaments all season. No problem, sign up for the Worlds and bring home a top 4 finish. Pretty dang impressive!!!

I like that Wysocki is probably the first champion who has a sidearem dominate/heavy game (even using forehand putter sidearms).

It has seemed inevitable that there'd be a champion who threw both sidearm/backhand with equally proficiency and it's finally happened.

Latest posts