• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

FWIW, I have an "Avair" Val personally signed at the KCWO less than two months before she became a 1x Champion.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Innova still doesn't give her a disc. Chicks names on discs tend to be an impedement to sales. They found this out with Juliana Korver. Hence Des Reading and Val didn't get one, despite multiple world championships. The signature disc thing is about sales for the product, not rewarding a champion.
Do you have any actual evidence whatsoever that this is true?

Nothing but anecdotal, but the most common request I've always gotten in my shop is "I want a disc that goes long and straight". For new and intermediate level players (not tournament terms, just experience), the Valkyrie is a great choice and that's often what I'd recommend. That recommendation was that much easier when I could say that the world record for distance was set with a Valkyrie at the time. They'd always be agreeable until I showed them the Champion Valks with the JK signature. I'd say 60% of the time, the next thing out of their mouth would be "oh, this is a girl's disc, what else do you have?" I never had anyone ask for something else when it was a Star Valk with Christian Sandstrom's signature on it.

Don't get me wrong, I still sold plenty of JK signature Valks, but there was definitely a segment of the male population who wanted nothing to do with throwing a disc with a woman's name/signature on it. It's the same segment that will choose not to buy/throw a disc because it's pink or purple or another "girly" color.

I can't say whether that is or isn't a reason why Innova hasn't given any other women a stock run signature disc, but it would not surprise me in the least if it's on the list. I doubt my store was the only one that has insecure chauvinists shopping for discs.

Really??? Ricky finished the semis at 52, -9, with catching two bad breaks at the end and having a pure spit-out early. And that was the only round where Paul beat him out of 5 1/2 rounds.

Rick was sitting with a 5-throw lead, the highest % of green hits (61%), with only one inside the circle miss (a spit-out), and only 2 OBs and 2 bogeys all week. And you guys think Paul was gonna catch him in 9 holes??? ....Based on ... what? Rick was gonna bogey two or three during the final 9 holes??? He only bogeyed the island hole (only his third of the tourney) because he was so excited he had it wrapped up. There was no catching him.

Consider that going into the finals you know up front that Rick is gonna birdie three of those, meaning Paul has to have 8. And you know 1 & 16 are two of the hardest birdies on the course. I applaud Rick for sticking with his plan of how he played the holes all week -- high percentage shots, his execution, and his putting. Two Bogeys all week heading into the finals! And one of those was a bad rollaway on a slightly high birdie putt just outside the circle! He simply crushed the courses.

After the ankle tweak the momentum totally shifted and Paul quickly made up 3 strokes. I'm just saying that if it was earlier in the round it would have been hard for Rick to halt the Beast mode that we all know was brewing. When Paul reached 18s green and Rick missed his birdie putt he was rattled, best thing was that the round was over and he could settle down which he did.

We are talking about stock production Sig discs, which innova reserves for world champions. Tour series is different.

My bad. I read, "Chicks names on discs tend to be an impedement to sales" to mean, discs with a woman's name on them don't sell. I don't know how I missed the distinction between a stock signature disc release and a tour series release there. Apologies. :doh:

Nothing but anecdotal, but the most common request I've always gotten in my shop is "I want a disc that goes long and straight". For new and intermediate level players (not tournament terms, just experience), the Valkyrie is a great choice and that's often what I'd recommend. That recommendation was that much easier when I could say that the world record for distance was set with a Valkyrie at the time. They'd always be agreeable until I showed them the Champion Valks with the JK signature. I'd say 60% of the time, the next thing out of their mouth would be "oh, this is a girl's disc, what else do you have?" I never had anyone ask for something else when it was a Star Valk with Christian Sandstrom's signature on it.

Don't get me wrong, I still sold plenty of JK signature Valks, but there was definitely a segment of the male population who wanted nothing to do with throwing a disc with a woman's name/signature on it. It's the same segment that will choose not to buy/throw a disc because it's pink or purple or another "girly" color.

I can't say whether that is or isn't a reason why Innova hasn't given any other women a stock run signature disc, but it would not surprise me in the least if it's on the list. I doubt my store was the only one that has insecure chauvinists shopping for discs.

Interesting anecdote.

Yeah. I'd be curious to see if Innova does anything. Although, it's ironic that they still push out the pink and purple discs, despite the "male chauvinists" refusing to touch them. I wonder why Innova hasn't stopped making pink and purple discs altogether, if it's so terrible for business.

After the ankle tweak the momentum totally shifted and Paul quickly made up 3 strokes. I'm just saying that if it was earlier in the round it would have been hard for Rick to halt the Beast mode that we all know was brewing. When Paul reached 18s green and Rick missed his birdie putt he was rattled, best thing was that the round was over and he could settle down which he did.

It's easy to say that Rick might have been rattled after that sequence on 18, but I talked to him right after the round and he was relaxed and smiling. He told me the day before he would be fine going into the finals with 4 or 5 on the lead, and that's exactly what he had. He wasn't pressing.

It's easy to say that Rick might have been rattled after that sequence on 18, but I talked to him right after the round and he was relaxed and smiling. He told me the day before he would be fine going into the finals with 4 or 5 on the lead, and that's exactly what he had. He wasn't pressing.

I respect your on the spot analysis. I was rooting for Rick the whole way and it had me rattled 1500 miles away. I love how he stuck to his game in the finals and cruised to victory.

I respect your on the spot analysis. I was rooting for Rick the whole way and it had me rattled 1500 miles away. I love how he stuck to his game in the finals and cruised to victory.

I can see how, from afar and with McBeth getting so hot late, you would have been rattled for him. :) Major props to Rick, he kept it even keel the whole week and it paid off.

So I'm pretty sure Jomez's coverage of worlds might be the best edited coverage I have ever seen and why I still prefer edited to live.

So I'm pretty sure Jomez's coverage of worlds might be the best edited coverage I have ever seen and why I still prefer edited to live.

Completely agree. That's a huge step-up from what I've seen them produce in the past (though maybe I'm thinking of Prodigy's sometimes sub-par footage), and the commentary (gotta have Sexton back - he's great), commercials, and the flight tracker usage was top-notch.

As for the Ricky picture on the PDGA page, it's the new world-champ permanent one on the right. Val is newly on the left (and hers seems appropriate to me). Seems like Rick is grimacing too much in the picture. McBeast's past champ pictures seemed a little more calm, dominant, and/or focused.

I think it's spot on, but that's because I've seen it first hand on a couple of occassions. I jused to have a JK Valk and I got looks. All I could say was, wow! Ultimately, the manufacturers put names on discs to sell more discs. They can't afford to be politically correct if it means they will take a hit, even if they want to, think it's right, know it's fair. I wonder if there is another way to recognize Val and honor her acheivement? Let her choose the name of the next production disc and giver her a percentage or some such?

Yeah. I'd be curious to see if Innova does anything. Although, it's ironic that they still push out the pink and purple discs, despite the "male chauvinists" refusing to touch them. I wonder why Innova hasn't stopped making pink and purple discs altogether, if it's so terrible for business.

Agree about purple; it doesn't sell as well (always the last McPro Roc3 or Aviars to go) and is not easy to see on the ground.

But pink, especially bright pink, is good for old eyes like mine to be able to see. Bright colors like pink and bright yellow (and bright orange for Star discs, etc.) are a requirement of mine.

And of course there is the month of October, which is "throw pink" month for breast cancer awareness.

Pink has a place in the disc golf world. It's those dark reds, dark blues, grape purples and black distance drivers that I'll step on before I see them....

Tie-dye camo patterns are the worst in the fall! And clear anytime! Unless it's night and got an LED. And White in the snow!

Anyone have stats on the number of times McBeth and Wisocki went out of bounds during the Worlds? I'm wondering if the score might have been a lot closer if McBeth had stayed inbounds a bit more (or not)...

McBeth said 20 OBs but I didn't try to count.

Thanks. Taking McBeth at his word, just imagine if, all else being equal, just five of those had been inbounds...

IMHO, this is where McBeth lost the Worlds. No disrespect to Ricky, but one has to wonder if he'd have held up if it'd been a lot closer and McBeth had played just five of those OBs in play instead...

Selling discs, all things equal, pink are usually among the first to go. Pink is one of the most popular colors around here.

Re: Having a woman's name on the disc, there is a % that would pick up something else instead, but I don;t think it is a huge %. Maybe they can do a Val/Avery Jenkins disc. Sibling world champs.

Thanks. Taking McBeth at his word, just imagine if, all else being equal, just five of those had been inbounds...

IMHO, this is where McBeth lost the Worlds. No disrespect to Ricky, but one has to wonder if he'd have held up if it'd been a lot closer and McBeth had played just five of those OBs in play instead...

Yea, if only he could take away FIVE ob throws he'd have been right there. lol, how ridiculous. In any event, there is probably 20 players that if they could throw out their 5 worst holes they woulda won. McBeth eeeeked out most of his World Titles, he would be 1x world champ if Ricky or Will got to throw out their 2 worst holes in those tournaments, never mind 5.

Last edited:
McBeth eeeeked out most of his World Titles/QUOTE]

- 2012 Charlotte: McBeth wins by five, was up seven going into the finals.

- 2013 Lemon Lake: McBeth wins by five, was up six going into the finals.

- 2014 Portland: McBeth wins in sudden death, probably the greatest finish along with the Battle in our sport's history, after playing an insane stretch on the final day to get back into contention.

- 2015 Pittsburg: McBeth wins by nine, was up twelve going into the finals.

Other than the amazing Portland Worlds, none of his titles have been that close, as was the case with Rick this year.

I don't know if Paul is scared of mice but I'm pretty sure the verb in question would be "eked."

McBeth eeeeked out most of his World Titles/QUOTE]

- 2012 Charlotte: McBeth wins by five, was up seven going into the finals.

- 2013 Lemon Lake: McBeth wins by five, was up six going into the finals.

- 2014 Portland: McBeth wins in sudden death, probably the greatest finish along with the Battle in our sport's history, after playing an insane stretch on the final day to get back into contention.

- 2015 Pittsburg: McBeth wins by nine, was up twelve going into the finals.

Other than the amazing Portland Worlds, none of his titles have been that close, as was the case with Rick this year.

I don't know if Paul is scared of mice but I'm pretty sure the verb in question would be "eked."

🤔