• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

the guy is using a paul mcbeth grip bag. might be commenting on that.

Good catch, I missed that.
And...PM has popped in every now and then on DGCR to stir the pot, in the past.
It would be like him to fan the flames of speculation.

More power to you Mr McBeth!

Interesting premise. Among top 100 MPO:

Known full time jobs: Fish (engineer), Colglazier (car detailing as of a couple years ago), Rovere (teacher), Proctor (teacher), Brinster (home security), Rico (disc manufacturing and construction), Stephen Miller, Collin Carter (student?), Dietrich (lawyer), Moser (FedEx delivery), Isaac Robinson (student), Devin Frederick (warehouse)

Don't know: Kajiyama, Nodland, Kikuchi, Makela, Gouge, Seaborn, Cowperthwait, Nick Wood, Geisinger, Arlyn, Nissinen, Matsuda, Waugh, Tillman, Tetzel, Piironen, Carlsson, Muller, Rasenen, Kile, Soderqvist, Hame, Hastings, Lutz, Billings, Kraus

Could make a case for: Doss (Bevel Craft Brewing), Leiviska (Airborn)

Awesome! I kinda want to do research and post a full list now....

Dietrich probably isn't too concerned about big payouts at events haha

Known full time jobs: Fish (engineer), Colglazier (car detailing as of a couple years ago), Rovere (teacher), Proctor (teacher), Brinster (home security), Rico (disc manufacturing and construction), Stephen Miller, Collin Carter (student?), Dietrich (lawyer), Moser (FedEx delivery), Isaac Robinson (student), Devin Frederick (warehouse)

Don't know: Kajiyama, Nodland, Kikuchi, Makela, Gouge, Seaborn, Cowperthwait, Nick Wood, Geisinger, Arlyn, Nissinen, Matsuda, Waugh, Tillman, Tetzel, Piironen, Carlsson, Muller, Rasenen, Kile, Soderqvist, Hame, Hastings, Lutz, Billings, Kraus

Geisinger - FedEx delivery

Out of the don't know list, and on the European (Gouge, Müller, Soderqvist) side: Everyone most likely has a full-time job. Non-related to disc golf for the most besides Nissinen (Powergrip) and maybe Piironen, Rasanen and Häme.
Makela and Carlsson are just done with high school or will soon be. Don't know if they go to the University though. Tetzel is probably still a student as well, or started working.

So, the only "touring pros" in Europe are Lizotte and Paju.

And to be fair, there is no disc golf job available in Europe except in Finland and maybe Estonia

If I remember correctly, Häme and Räsänen are quite young, probably also still in school or going to army (mandatory in Finland). Paju is one of the owners of Prodigy Europe.

I think it's a great deal for both parties. Simon is the OG Discmania face, he's so fun to watch, and he does a lot more on tour than just play events.

If your playing disc golf to make the most money possible you would be better off in at least 100 other careers.

Discmania got the better end of this deal given what you listed above. They now have a 5 year contract of controlled/projected costs for Simon. Let's say he agreed to getting $10 of the $25 dollars for each Skygod sold (just making this up and ignoring his other sig discs/salary), let's also say in 2 or 3 years his social media following doubles and on average they sell and average of 500 sky gods a year (who knows). Discmania now knows for year one they owe Simon $5000 and can pocket $7,500 before production costs. Then if his following doubles by year 2 or 3 they can conservatively sell 800 sky gods and will then ow Simon $8000 and pocket $12,000 before production costs. All I'm saying, for Simon's sake, is signing a shorter deal would allow him to negotiate at the 2/3 year mark for let's say $12 a disc, which would increase his earnings by $1,600 on one disc alone. Do this for each sig disc and tournament win incentives and you have a nice lump of cash by the end of the year.

I would argue our top pro's are in to make as much money as possible playing this sport. It's a relatively stress free way to make a nice living. I just wish more pro's took into consideration their future earning potential.

A longer deal provides more security. Security is important to professional athletes. Injuries happen.

Sure, if the contract is guaranteed. On the other hand, Discmania would be dumb to guarantee the 5 year deal since injuries happen. Simon was better off asking for another 2 year deal with a higher base/incentives and then re-negotiating in 2 years based on the future landscape/earning potential. But then again, this is how I would approach my contract if I had his skills/growing fan following.

Hastings is a math teacher

He posted on his social media he was taking time off from disc golf citing that he wasn't having fun playing tournaments anymore.

I must have missed that. He had an Instagram post on Aug 28th saying he was excited to come back strong for 2019. Also a post recently that he isn't 100% recovered from his shoulder injury. He was playing leagues and rec rounds this year but shoulder isn't healthy enough to play 36 holes in a day.

Simon resigned w/ Discmania.

hes the poster child for discmania.....

I think he meant that he signed again. Given the Instagram/Facebook posts.

Resign: voluntarily leave a job or other position

Re-sign: sign (a document) again

Simon re-signed with Discmania for 5 more years.

https://www.discmania.net/blogs/discover/discmania-signs-lizotte-to-five-year-contract?fbclid=IwAR0vqEvP1Uq66SdFZdfow0lcQ0cxxACaapIaxWJw1BD_1XlPLGiq8QMFRbs

Latest posts