• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Las Vegas Challenge Feb 24-27

From Wiki: "The most suicidal state in the entire world is by a wide margin Greenland, with Lesotho being the most suicidal country in 2019. Africa is the most suicidal region in the world, while the Eastern Mediterranean is the least."
An Eastern Mediterranean region (Ikaria, Greece) has one of the longest-lived populations so that would follow.

The PDGA hasn't programmed the "combine/not combine" decision within a single tee time round played by different divisions to my knowledge. Changing layout names is the only way to have it done automatically.

While setting up separate database fields for both a physical layout and allowing it to have multiple names/pars could work, it won't stop manipulation. What TDs have done is change one hole shorter for the non-MPO divisions so there are two physically different layouts thinking the MPOs would get better ratings. With every example I've discovered, the Am ratings were typically higher than the pros, even on the shorter layout because they still played the other holes slightly worse on average than their ratings.

OK, still, because the combine/don't combine decision takes into account factors other than the physical layout, it should not be encoded in the field that identifies the physical layout.

I've looked at every A+ and B tier in the last few years. The only TD still doing that make-one-hole-different trick is Jason Wilder.

OK, still, because the combine/don't combine decision takes into account factors other than the physical layout, it should not be encoded in the field that identifies the physical layout.
While that's true for ratings calcs, that naming field has been convenient for assigning different pars for MPO & FPO on the same layout which is at least partly what we might prefer if they're not doing shorter tees.

I've looked at every A+ and B tier in the last few years. The only TD still doing that make-one-hole-different trick is Jason Wilder.
It's usually C-tiers where I saw that procedure when I was looking for it because the pros/TDs were particularly concerned that lower rated players would drag down their ratings.

I must have liked DGPT's Facebook page at some point since my feed is littered with highlight videos...good God this event has an awful esthetic. Everyone looks cold, players are wearing sweatpants and jackets, the grass is dormant so they look like they are playing in a desert, and the course looks boring. All the highlights are of people parking open shots.

It makes me wonder why the tour starts this early.

How can Stokely get a 7 on hole 1 without a OB or missed C1 putt---how is that even possible??

I must have liked DGPT's Facebook page at some point since my feed is littered with highlight videos...good God this event has an awful esthetic. Everyone looks cold, players are wearing sweatpants and jackets, the grass is dormant so they look like they are playing in a desert, and the course looks boring. All the highlights are of people parking open shots.

Erry February I'm like yaayyy disc golf! And then I watch some of this and some of the next couple in Arizona and it turns me off of the rest of the season (as far as pro golf).

To be fair, it is about 10 degrees below average for late February in Vegas.

These opening couple of weekends do suck as far as course variety. Next week is boring @$$ hyzer fest/mando Hell.

The Innova course is far and away the best of these three courses at Wildhorse CC, but even that one is still a meh in my book.

Gotta go to the Southwest some time I suppose.

Apparently, someone's clicking with their new DGA plastic.

Clearly sweatpants are the biggest story of this tournament. At first I thought the criticism was superficial and unimportant. However, I've been digging into the stats, and these numbers don't lie:

• Sweatpants have 2 legs.
  • Ricky is 2 throws off the lead.
  • Ricky threw 2 points worse than his rating.
These are obviously corellated and cannot possibly be the product of coincidence. It's a real shame to see Wysocki giving up on his career like this. You would think Dynamic would have stipulated better legwear in his contract. Hopefully they are scrambling to get him a tailor before Round 2.

I'm guessing his girlfriend is in charge of his wardrobe and style choices and she doesn't appear to be with on this trip.

Hence the sweatpants and Sport Clips haircut.

This course is a big boy pitch & putt with every hole birdieable (as they should be). Not saying it in a bad way because the holes play fast, spectators can immediately see whether a drive is a park job or a putt tester, and there's a theoretical possibility of a legit -18 because the pars appear to be set properly (but we'll wait for Steve on that call). The downside as with all open bomber courses is the lack of shot shaping required making many holes monotonous/repetitious for viewers.

While that's true for ratings calcs, that naming field has been convenient for assigning different pars for MPO & FPO on the same layout which is at least partly what we might prefer if they're not doing shorter tees.

Yes, we want the TD to set different pars for FPO vs MPO. But, throwing total par into the name field has the negative effect of causing the ratings calculations to separate the courses. Which deprives the ratings calcs of good data.

Total par should be its own field.

Yes, we want the TD to set different pars for FPO vs MPO. But, throwing total par into the name field has the negative effect of causing the ratings calculations to separate the courses. Which deprives the ratings calcs of good data.

Total par should be its own field.
As I pointed out, with large divisions (60 FPO this time) playing tee times, I want the divisions separated for ratings due to potentially variable weather, especially these wdie open courses. In this case, and in a few other events, FPO has played in significant colder weather (sometimes with frost or snow) when going out first that day.

Changing the course layout name is the only way to automatically produce the proper calculations. In fact, on courses like these, I would prefer the 120 MPO be split into two sequential rating groups, just in case. Then the system would compare the two MPO groups and normally decide to combine them into one group if their group numbers were statistically close enough.

As I pointed out, with large divisions (60 FPO this time) playing tee times, I want the divisions separated for ratings due to potentially variable weather, especially these wdie open courses. In this case, and in a few other events, FPO has played in significant colder weather (sometimes with frost or snow) when going out first that day.

Changing the course layout name is the only way to automatically produce the proper calculations. In fact, on courses like these, I would prefer the 120 MPO be split into two sequential rating groups, just in case. Then the system would compare the two MPO groups and normally decide to combine them into one group if their group numbers were statistically close enough.

Corrupting the thing that is supposed to tell us which layout they played is not the proper way to get that done.

Small divisions that play the same layout at the same time as another division shouldn't be forced to have their ratings calculated on fewer players merely because they got their own pars.

If there should be a way to force divisions to be separated, it should be its own field.

If people still wonder why no FPO player is rated above 1000, just check the ratings for round 1.

According to PDGA, the layout is exactly the same (in terms of length, par doesn't matter).

FPO: Par is rated 930
MPO: Par is rated 969

4 stroke difference... MPO ratings are definitely inflated

This makes sense. If player A shoots 4 stroke higher on same layout as Player B, then it makes sense that Player A's rating for that round is around 40 points lower.

This makes sense. If player A shoots 4 stroke higher on same layout as Player B, then it makes sense that Player A's rating for that round is around 40 points lower.
Players who shot the same score got the same rating. Only the over/under par was 4 strokes different because the course pars on the same layout were set four strokes apart making it look like they should have different ratings.