• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

Got it. The yellow line I was understanding but looking at from a slightly different way...kind of visualizing where it would continue through the swings since I know how those videos look. Simply as CoG even in a snapshot makes sense.

I understand and see the arm and hammer swing lines now.

Still putting in work. Painfully obvious how off I still am in places. Feel free to provide feedback that you think will help the best. A side by side that I thought showed something particularly interesting is the side by side / behind view:

After only a couple frames past the 1 sec mark, you can see me drop a little bit, and shift into my plant leg. Not only is SW's drop/shift more pronounce (as if he is spraying ice while stopping on ice-skates) it happens much later in the sequence.

Go back to trying some lefty slapshots for feel.

Your right shoulder is braced on the leg, in the side view you can see that it is over the foot rather than in front of the foot and able to rotate around the spine.

In the behind view, if you pause after release when the arm is pointed to the right of the screen, you can see that SW's upper spine is directly over his plant leg whereas your right shoulder is over the plant leg.

Basically you're not centered over the plant leg toward the front of the teepad enough to let the shoulders rotate around the spine, and not over the plant leg left-to-right wise to allow yourself to land on the leg backward and clear the weight back to start the rotation.

You can see in the one leg drill how my head is stacked right over the foot and my head only moves a little bit back and forth. While your head is never over the foot and your head moves like a foot further back in the backswing. You can the ground force reaction jerking your front leg because you aren't getting upright settled on it.

You are also turning the arm/hammer into anhyzer swing plane thru the transition. The last video the head of the hammer is swinging almost 90 degrees sideways from mine. In OLD your wrist is turning over thru the release. Not sure you gripping the hammer or disc correctly.

Easy fix is to think of someone standing front/left of you on the teepad. Try to knock them to the ground using the back of your shoulder/shoulder blade. That should put you in the proper position that slowplastic described above.

Morning! Hope yall are doing well.

Spent some time on one leg yesterday. Really tried to keep my lefty slapshot in mind. Threw a quick clip in here of me trying to use the back of my shoulder to knock someone over...I know enough to know that I may not even be doing this right.

I can definitely see my shoulder is not far enough forward; even still, my arm/disc is feeling really heavy these days. Good sign to feel blood rushing to your hand?

Thanks for all you do guys! I'm just days away from working on this for 1 full year, and it would have been difficult to get to where I'm at and/or stay motivated without this group.

Your right hip is past your ankle/knee instead of stacking upright.

Your front foot is too close to the wall, move like 6" back to really let the shoulder release thru with your weight behind it.

Morning,

Today marks my 1 year anniversary of committing to a form rebuild journey. Truth be told, this whole process has been oddly satisfying. Don't get me wrong I have my maddening moments; broken hockey sticks, holes in walls (punched, and w/ a hammer), few angry tears...but through it all there remained a commitment to getting better. A lot of people have chimed in over the past 12 months to help, but a big thank you to SW and SP for their consistent help.

This time last year everything I threw would top around 300'. These days I can get my teebirds consistently in the 325' range. Also been playing with some understable plastic, ripped a sweet hyzer flip that went 370'. I had a bit of a tailwind, but hey I'll take it.

That said...I still suck :gross:

With that in mind, here is me working the hammer toss yesterday. Think I am doing better with my arm acting more as a pendulum, but I can still see me trying to "force" positions. Really tired of seeing my hips spin out; this throw is a bit better, but the sequence still isn't correct.

Looks super awkward. Over the top and strong arming. I want to see you spin around with it like One Arm Olympic Hammer Throw and it trying to pulling you up like a helicopter.

I think you're pushing/putting the head ahead of things and the sternum is kind of leaking out forward and in front. It's a fine balance between too far forward vs. stacking everything but also being forward. At least for me it has been tricky going back and forth, trying to find that balance zone.

A 370' hyzer flip definitely shows you're hitting the disc a lot better.

Morning,

Well damn. Awkward is not the adjective you like to hear. But I can see the awkwardness and what looks to be strong arming.

I was trying to concentrate on knocking someone over with the back of my shoulder. I've continued to jam/brace my shoulder, so the knocking someone down tip felt has though it was getting me further forward. I will work on reigning it in a bit to hopefully become more stacked rather than over the top.

Threw in my warehouse yesterday (sorry for the terribly lighting :thmbdown:) before reading these notes. I think this is a good example of where my x-step form is these days.

This shot slips out of my hand, but I think do a good job of not pushing my body into rotation, and a decent rear leg counter.

Keeping prodding me in the right direction...I'll get there.

Admittedly I've only done the one arm Olympic hammer throw once, as spinning in a circle brought on rough headache. Time to suck it up and give it another go. Be back soon.

Admittedly I've only done the one arm Olympic hammer throw once, as spinning in a circle brought on rough headache. Time to suck it up and give it another go. Be back soon.
The flicker on your slo mo gives me a headache, so right back at you. ;)

Get your rear elbow in/forward. Elbow your hips forward into the plant. So the elbow is moving back and forth linear instead of going out around you rotationally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=9m40s

Another variation is the Scottish Hammer so you don't spin, but helicopter the hammer around you similar to the Windmill, just on a different swing plane/tilted twirl. Note how his heels go up and down - shifting without moving.

IDK...mark it up...make it bleed :)

That sledge is really heavy. Looking at the stills, appears I get in a good position, but then 3 frames later my whole upper body has turned...but my arm has still not swung open yet. Better than good chance I'm doing something very wrong in this drill.

Attachments

• Scree Shots.jpg
    Scree Shots.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 8
I am not sure why are you trying to throw a heavy object so high up. Let your arm drop where it´s less straining.

The hammer is pulling you around off center and taking you for a ride around the hammer. You need brace your rotation and keep it centered so the hammer swings around your center.

You aren't bringing your rear arm forward into your body like figure skater.

You are starting your release before your front foot plants.

Awkward elbow height.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 2.09.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 2.09.22 PM.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 94
Rainy day off. Messing around practicing slow. This is so much more difficult than it looks.

First video is earlier in the morning, second video is a couple hours later after watching more video and comparing. Biggest adjustment I was trying to do was mimic how upright SW is, both in the back and forward swing.

Also focused on feeling and looking like I'm behind the shot. Because I'm still rounding, it always feels/looks like I'm way in front/dragging my disc.

If you want my opinion, stop trying to throw the disc with your arm. You are bringing the disc into the power pocket by moving your upper arm to shoulder angle. Try moving your upper arm with your hips and torso. Keep the angle of your upper arm to your shoulders locked at greater than 90 degrees. Let the lower arm stay relaxed and release like a whip after the disc comes into the power pocket. The quoted text below is from DGR and may prove helpful.

Two facts:

Fact 1: 300 ft is about as far as most men can throw using primarily the strength of their arm to propel the disc. For women it is closer to 230 ft.

Fact 2: The fact that you get the same distance no matter how you do your step implies that you aren't getting anything out of your legs, which drive your torso, which is the platform for your shoulders...

The sum:

Fact 1 + Fact 2 = You're strong-arming, throwing with your arm, and you're not getting much of anything from your torso and shoulders.

Your arm is of order 10X less powerful than your legs/torso. Stop throwing with your arm! Your arm is only useful for positioning and gripping, other than that, it is purely passive. Your arm needs to be turned into a whip that is driven by the powerful motion of your legs/hips/torso/shoulders.

Here's an exercise I might suggest:

Stand still with your arms at your side, completely relaxed. Turn your hips and torso back slowly and then rotate your hips quickly to the open position. Your arms should be whipped out and around in a windmill motion, without you using a single muscle in your arms. That's the feeling you should be aiming for.

Next do the same thing, except extend your throwing elbow out sideways from your body and hold it there (as if you put a vice around your shoulder). Allow your lower throwing arm and hand to hang limp from your elbow. Do it as if your arm were asleep and some mechanical device was locked onto your shoulder to keep the elbow pointed out side ways from your torso. Don't allow your elbow to move forward or backward, nor up nor down. It is completely locked in place, as if you no longer even had a shoulder joint and your upper arm were fused into your shoulder so that it would always point out sideways.

Now slowly turn your hips and torso back, and turn them abruptly open again. Don't use a single muscle in your arm! Now you should find that you've turned your arm into a whip. Your lower arm should be whipping forward super-fast. In fact, you can whip your lower arm forward way faster in this manner than your arm muscles could ever dream of doing. Your arm muscle strength decreases rapidly as speed increases, so they are useless anyways...trying to use them will only slow down this motion. You'll find that whipping your lower arm forward in this manner, with the elbow "stopped," will feel relatively effortless in comparison to trying to throw with your arm as you've probably been doing before.

Practice getting this feeling for a while. (Later you can work on the grip and positioning in finer detail, but for now focus on using your legs/hips/torso/shoulders as the powerful motor for whipping your arm forward

THIS!!! This is what I've been needing to hear about since day 1. This sounds exactly right and how to throw far without strong arming. Now if I can just figure out how to do it, haha Thank you so much for this explanation. I haven't read ANYTHING like this the entire time I've been playing and studying the throw, and yet it might be the single most important thing to understand in order to unlock the distance with ease! :clap: